U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,974 times

Advertisements

Hi! My boyfriend (who lives in the Bradford area of Haverhill) and I are looking at homes in the area so we can buy together. I like old houses; he wants to build new. He insists that all the gorgeous old homes available in Haverhill are in crime-infested areas, and I can't dispute that as I don't live there! I can only wonder why people would take such loving (and clearly expensive) care of some of these homes if they were in fear for their property and lives all the time. I have found a dream house on Elm Street (it looks like a continuation of Salem St.). He says that is a terrible area. I'd love some insights? I also found some lovely homes on Washington St., Duluth (?) and elsewhere, particularly in the area just behind (technically I guess just in front of) the Building 19 plaza. Thanks, I look forward to your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,900,252 times
Hello. Raised in Haverhill, and maybe I can help you scout neighborhoods in and around Haverhill. There are some relative bargains to be found in Haverhill, but he is right that you have to watch the neighborhoods. Unfortunately, some of the areas with those wonderful old houses border on not-so-good areas.

You mentioned Elm Street, but I think you must be thinking of South Elm, just off 125 in Bradford. Some of the homes on South Elm have been changed from the beautiful single family homes into 4-family apartment buildings.

The higher numbers of Washington Street would tend to be in a much better area than the lower numbers. Keep in mind that both of those streets are very well traveled.

The Riverside area of Haverhill is very nice, and can't think of any issues with any of the streets near Bldg. 19 (Lincoln Ave). T

There is alot of good and not-so-good in Haverhill, so watch yourself and when you look at homes, look beyond your own street and into the surrounding areas--as I said, sometimes only a couple of streets away are the known drug-infested areas, gangs, etc.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 AM

1,863 posts, read 2,173,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Hello. Raised in Haverhill, and maybe I can help you scout neighborhoods in and around Haverhill. There are some relative bargains to be found in Haverhill, but he is right that you have to watch the neighborhoods. Unfortunately, some of the areas with those wonderful old houses border on not-so-good areas.

You mentioned Elm Street, but I think you must be thinking of South Elm, just off 125 in Bradford. Some of the homes on South Elm have been changed from the beautiful single family homes into 4-family apartment buildings.

The higher numbers of Washington Street would tend to be in a much better area than the lower numbers. Keep in mind that both of those streets are very well traveled.

The Riverside area of Haverhill is very nice, and can't think of any issues with any of the streets near Bldg. 19 (Lincoln Ave). T

There is alot of good and not-so-good in Haverhill, so watch yourself and when you look at homes, look beyond your own street and into the surrounding areas--as I said, sometimes only a couple of streets away are the known drug-infested areas, gangs, etc.
It is SUCH a shame, isn't it? I don't live there, but always watch for neighborhoods that have apartment buildings - I live in Salem, and in my neighborhood, the buildings are either single-family or condos. If there are apartments, you can have trouble with noise, younger people partying all night, etc. But, maybe you already know that.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:43 AM

144 posts, read 371,057 times
Look in the Walnut Square area, I have lived there 15 years and have had no problems.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 15,023 times
Hi,
Besides safety, your boyfriend is probably concerned with resale value. As a Real Estate Agent in MA, I know that homes in high crime areas are harder to sell than homes in safer neighborhoods. Also, even if someone is interested in buying a house in a high crime area, they won't pay as much for it as they would for a home in a safer area. Hope this helps you understand why your boyfriend feels so strongly about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts