Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:41 PM

49 posts, read 102,200 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I currently live in Chicago with 2 young kids. We love living in the city (culture, walkability) but the high COL, high crime and schools make it impossible for us for the long term. So we are looking to move back to Mass. Like a lot of people on here I want good schools, some culture and community but don't have close to the amount of money to afford Newton, Lexington, Brookline or even Hingham...Natick...Newburyport...really hardly anywhere it seems. Bottom line is our budget is 420k. So I just need to get real and find communities we can afford that fit as many of our needs as possible (really schools is the most important)

I grew up in Raynham/Bridgewater. My husband grew up in Lexington. I don't love Raynham- not crazy about the schools or community. Lexington is fantastic but obviously can't afford anything near there. I like the culture in Newburyport but also too expensive. I like Salem and Plymouth but the schools are the major issue.

So I am trying to find some smaller towns in South (or North) shore that I am not that familiar with but can look into. Swansea just came up on my search. Despite growing up near there...I don't know anything about it. I like that it is a small-ish town and the schools seem pretty good. Can someone tell me a bit more about what it is like to live there.

Sorry this is so long- just wanted to put it all out there : )

Maria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 07:02 PM

72 posts, read 69,568 times
Swansea is a nice town. Everything you need is right there (along Route 6). Swansea is interesting in that it has a bit of everything: farm land, commercial exposures, and residential.

The schools have a decent reputation. Crime isn't a problem.

I'm unsure of their exact real estate tax rate but it's getting up there. I'd read up on that as I believe there's questions as to (lack of) budget. But it's happening everywhere it seems...

With your budget, you should be able to find a nice home with a decent sized lot.

Is there anything particular you want to know?

Somerset is the town over, which is losing a major tax contributor so expect their already high tax rate to continue to increase.

I suggest looking into Dartmouth (North or South). South being the more desirable but not very convenient to highway. Good schools and lower RE tax rate (than Swansea).

Old 05-23-2017, 07:04 PM

72 posts, read 69,568 times
I want to add that though I'm actively trying to leave MA due to the weather and COL, I love the south coast. There's not a lack of things to do. I can drive to so many different places in so little time. You can't beat being coastal either.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:36 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

One of my worries/concerns is probably a bit more esoteric. Where I grew up- the community was not at all progressive and by that I mean the stuff you imagine: kids not being nice to kids that were gay/different, not a ton of concern or respect for kids that are artistic or the arts generally. At the same time...I am well into my 30s and I understand that a lot has changed. So I worry about its progressiveness/lack there of.

On a more practical note, I was wondering about parks and things for kids/families being close by.

Thank you so much again.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Where will you be working? Swansea is not commutable to Boston, at least on a daily basis.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowVW View Post
I suggest looking into Dartmouth (North or South). South being the more desirable but not very convenient to highway. Good schools and lower RE tax rate (than Swansea).
You can get from the harbor in Padanaram Village to the limited access highway at Route 140 in 10 minutes. 8 minutes if you don't hit any traffic lights. There are also parts of South Dartmouth where it's more like 25 minutes.

The mill rate is about $10 per thousand of valuation. The town just voted in a new police station so I imagine it will be going up slightly.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:37 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Where will you be working?

This is the most important question.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:53 AM

636 posts, read 705,921 times
The question about culture was asked and often culture is synonymous/intertwined with ethnic diversity.Last time i checked stats, Swansea has one of the highest white population percentage of all Massachusetts communities.
Some people look to diversity as a factor to move into a community, some people look at diversity not to move into a community. Ironically, To each their own is also differences of preferences.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:43 PM

Hi!

massnative71: So I would be working in South Shore of Mass or Providence. I remember commuting to Boston from the Raynham area and I certainly would not do that again- let alone some where further away.

wror: Yes- for sure racial or cultural diversity would be a big benefit and one of the biggest things I would miss about in Chicago. That said, I know that in Mass, it is tough to find diverse neighborhoods. So by culture I mean to the extent that there is a larger appreciation or interest in arts (music, literature, etc).

Old 05-25-2017, 08:29 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marria77 View Post
wror: Yes- for sure racial or cultural diversity would be a big benefit and one of the biggest things I would miss about in Chicago. That said, I know that in Mass, it is tough to find diverse neighborhoods. So by culture I mean to the extent that there is a larger appreciation or interest in arts (music, literature, etc).
It's certainly not a cultural mecca, but I'm sure you'll find people who are. Swansea wouldn't be a bad commute to Providence, but the South Shore would be tough. Where on the S Shore would you be commuting to? Would you be commuting to both, or just one or the other? I know what you are referring to re. Bridgewater/Raynham during that time frame. I think Swansea was always a little more rounded than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts