U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:50 PM

24 posts, read 23,486 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are a family of 6 (4 being young children ages 8, 5, 5 and 2) who are considering a relocation to Boston. This is all very overwhelming! I've searched the other forums for advice and answers to my questions, but some posts are old and I'm not sure how accurate the information on schools is. Our daughter will be finishing her 2nd year of a Spanish/English dual language program. She has made great strides and we really want her to be able to continue learning a second language. Our twins will also be starting K in the fall and we would like for them to have the same opportunity of learning Spanish as well.

My issue is finding a house within our budget (still really trying to figure out what the budget will be) in a school district that offers a dual language program. Ultimately, we'd like a 4 BR house with a yard for the kids to run and play in. I've seen that towns like Lexington, Bedford and Arlington have schools with a 9 or 10 rating, but do they offer dual language? Also, I see that Amigos in Cambridge is highly recommended, but is there a lottery system for that school and could we afford a home in that area? It seems VERY expensive.

My husband would be working near Logan Int'l Airport and commuting around Boston sounds horrendous! A neighborhood near a t-line is also desirable.

We have lived in Pittsburgh, PA, Minneapolis, MN and currently in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Any advice on pro/cons regarding towns, schools and basic quality of life in the Boston area would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all in advance for any replies! I've used city-data with each of our moves and the advice from folks on these forums is invaluable to me! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 02:08 PM

2,736 posts, read 3,595,743 times
You've included lots of semi-relevant detail but neglected the most important: what is your budget? You may not have an exact number, but without even a range (like say in increments of $250k) you won't get much useful advice. You basically want everything everyone else wants (good schools, big SFH, easy commute) as well as dual English/Spanish education. Hopefully your budget is huge.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:30 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,630,614 times
You've lived in 3 places that are significantly cheaper than Boston. If your budget is less than $1.5 million you probably won't get everything you want.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:38 PM

I would say a rent budget would be between $5K-$7K and buying for under $1M. (maybe between $700K-$999K). The most comparable place we've lived is in Ft. Lauderdale. The community we live in, Weston, is pretty expensive, IMO, but still wayyyy less than Boston, I know.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:38 AM

374 posts, read 220,020 times
The only Spanish immersion schools I know of are the Amigos, one in East Boston, and I think Millis and Brockton offer programs as well. Surprisingly, Mass. public schools do not commonly offer language immersion programs.
The Amigos and the school in East Boston (I think its the Alighieri) are lottery only and they are extremely difficult to get in to. I have family in Cambridge and every family has Amigos as their top choice. So it will be a gamble for you. In addition, Cambridge RE prices are ridiculous.
I am not certain about the Brockton and Millis programs in terms of competitiveness, but both would be a nightmare from a commuting standpoint.
You could consider private schools. I found this school in Jamaica Plain, and I am sure there are others. However, it is 25K a year Infant through Preschool Child Care in Brookline, Jamaica Plain, and Boston - The Bilingual Montessori School of Boston.
In short, I think it will be very difficult to move here and have your child attend an immersion program at a public school within commuting distance to the airport in your price range.
You could look into Spanish language speaking groups or playgroups for your child, if you can't find a school that will work.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:30 AM

Thank you so much for the information. As I'm doing my research, that seems to be what I'm concluding as well. Thanks for the suggestion of looking into Spanish language playgroups.

Taking the dual-language school out of the equation, could you offer a suggestion on neighborhoods that we should look into? As much as I think city living would be a very cool experience, I also think it would drive me crazy to be cramped in a home with 4 kids and not have a yard for them to play in. Also, parking outside when it's snowing and trying to get 4 kids into the car wouldn't be desirable...been there, done that, want to avoid it if necessary!

Old 06-03-2017, 09:44 AM

5,914 posts, read 7,691,056 times
Here's a list I found:

https://www.massmabe.org/Directory-DL-Programs

As you can see there's not a ton of schools in MA that offer language immersion.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 3,281 times
As mentioned, you need to figure out your budget first and also as mentioned, Boston is much more expensive than the other towns you lived in. Once you have a budget, it will be easier for you to proceed. This forum is very helpful!

We are also moving to the area and had to nail down our budget first but lived in other towns that were comparable in housing and living expenses.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:47 AM

374 posts, read 220,020 times
If commuting to the near airport, I would suggest Swampscott and Marblehead for starters. Both are very nice coastal towns and you can find something in your budget.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:22 PM

154 posts, read 90,688 times
Maynard, Waltham, Framingham but not the best commute. All in your price range.i listed them in the order I'd pick. All have language programs.
If you can afford Somerville or Cambridge check them out for a better commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts