Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:46 AM

5 posts, read 2,973 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We live in Florida and we're thinking about moving to Massachusetts for better education and doctors.
My husband works in USPS ( delivering mails), we are not sure how hard it would be delivering mails in winter ( cold weather and heavy snow). Please anyone has experience in delivering mails in Massachusetts especially if he/she also works in USPS.
Another thing, is it worth to move to Massachusetts for better education or it is the same as Florida.
Also, how much life in Massachusetts would be more expensive and different than Florida.
If we had chance to go to CT or MA or NH which one would be our best choice based on my husband's job and education and more affordable. All your advices are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 10:08 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
NH would be cheapest of those three choices, community variables depending.
MA is much more expensive than FL. The education system is much better though.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:12 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
NH is the only semi affordable place you listed. The medical care and education aren't as good as MA.

TBH I can't think of a worse place to be a mailman who moved from FL. Maybe Alaska lol.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:01 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Many of the city carrier positions in the Boston area are outside on foot, so that part would be a bit of a shock in the winter months. I think NH would be your best bet out of the three. Education is comparable to MA, and you still have access to all medical care in the Boston area.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:19 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,666 times
USPS salaries are fixed, and don't adjust by region, correct? That might be a tough move.

On the flip side I think there is a big time need for postal workers in the Boston metro.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...zrO/story.html

Old 06-12-2017, 11:59 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,207,356 times
I was a casual carrier one Summer decades ago and it was a fun job. The full time guys said that the Winter was easier to deal with then the Summer because you could dress for the Winter and deal with it but the Summer heat and humidity was harder.

In rural areas most mail is delivered by truck with very few walking routes but in the city that is not the case.

Your husband should check with the PO to see if there are openings in the areas you are interested in.

I know many people who have moved to Florida from Mass. to take advantage of the weather and less expensive living. Coming up is a different story. Zillow might help you with getting an idea for cost of housing etc..

Old 06-12-2017, 12:42 PM

72 posts, read 69,500 times
MA is known for its education but don't get confused - that's not the case throughout the state. Just like anywhere else, the cities/towns with lower COL also have a poor school system.

Without knowing a budget, not sure how to direct you. All 3 are expensive places to live be.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:11 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Not sure how the USPS works, but with most of the federal government you would get a slightly higher COL adjustment coming from FL to MA. NH (at least the southern part) is within the same COL area as Boston (as is Central MA, RI and S ME), so your money would certainly go further.

I agree about the school thing. You have to look town by town, there are plenty of good school systems in NH and mediocre ones in MA.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:32 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times
Our mail carrier doesn't get out of the vehicle at all. There are times when the snow plow push a bunch of snow up to our mailboxes and we simply didn't get delivery. I even dug a tunnel thru the 6+ ft high snow bank from the street to the mailboxes but still, the people at the post office said the vehicle has to drive all the way up to the mailbox. We are in the suburbs.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:34 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Our mail carrier doesn't get out of the vehicle at all. There are times when the snow plow push a bunch of snow up to our mailboxes and we simply didn't get delivery. We are in the suburbs.
Yes, but consider that a lifelong Floridian doesn't really know how to drive in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts