Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 3,203 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm a single female, in her early 20s. Used to live in the Watertown area for 2 years. Not originally from the US. Recently got a job in Westborough and temporarily moved here, to see how it is. I'm honestly not a big fan. For a young and single person, this isn't the best choice (too far from the city) and I'm very bored, very often. Some of it might have to do with the fact that I don't own a car. I have been ubering all over the place!

Now my plan was to move to Natick or something, get a car and be somewhat mid-way between Boston and Westborough. But now there's a new addition of me having to go to PA every other weekend. The bus/train timings that fit my schedule are at odd hours (all late night), and I'll be getting back to South Station at like 12am or 3am. Getting to Westborough at that time seems impossible. Now I think Natick might be the same.

Was considering moving to Watertown but not sure of the drive to work every day. Would Waltham be a better choice?
I know they are both reverse commute but I'm super new to driving and not too confident.. yet. Would Natick or Westborough work somehow?

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 06:29 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Worcester, there is some nightlife. Commuter rail to south station. Easy commute to Westborough (I also work in Westborough most days).

Old 06-26-2017, 07:11 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
I don't see how Natick is any different than Westborough. Getting from South Station at that hour would be tough. Is driving to/from Philly out of the question? Or are there other options available (flying/bus)?

Old 06-26-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Worcester, there is some nightlife. Commuter rail to south station. Easy commute to Westborough (I also work in Westborough most days).
Doesn't the commuter rail stop running by 11pm though? I'll need to get home from South Station at around 12:30 or even 3am.. hence the problem. I figure Watertown or something is close enough to Uber without it being too expensive, time consuming or dangerous.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't see how Natick is any different than Westborough. Getting from South Station at that hour would be tough. Is driving to/from Philly out of the question? Or are there other options available (flying/bus)?
Yeah I do think Natick will end up being an issue. I was just considering it because of the shorter drive to work.
I am looking at both train and bus, and they both arrive/depart from South Station. Driving to PA might be an option a little later, once I get some confidence with driving as a whole. Right now I'm freaking out about my commute, driving to another state seems very daunting.

Would you pick Waltham or Watertown, while driving to Westborough? I hear the Watertown/Newton exit of the pike is pretty awful..

Old 06-26-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticmusic View Post
Doesn't the commuter rail stop running by 11pm though? I'll need to get home from South Station at around 12:30 or even 3am.. hence the problem. I figure Watertown or something is close enough to Uber without it being too expensive, time consuming or dangerous.

Oh, if its that late, yeah, that may not work. I missed that.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:51 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Family oriented like Westborough but closer to Boston and nicer town center. OP could take advantage of what Worcester has to offer if they stay in Westborough, but either they don't want to pursue that or haven't.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:54 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
OP, would you consider Providence or living somewhere between Providence and Westborough closer to Providence. I believe the Amtrak to PA goes through there. You could backroad it for the daily commute if you are getting your feet wet with driving.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
OP, would you consider Providence or living somewhere between Providence and Westborough closer to Providence. I believe the Amtrak to PA goes through there. You could backroad it for the daily commute if you are getting your feet wet with driving.

This is what I chose. Few options for a good arts/nightlife with a walkable lifestyle. But, it's an hour commute each way.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:59 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Look into Peter Pan bus. They stop in Framingham, Worcester and Springfield as alternatives to travelling to/from South Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts