Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:45 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
^Psst, didn't you know? Everything's trending south. NC is the new FL, apparently... .
Yes a lot seem to be going to NC, VA, some NH...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:06 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Those population numbers were eye opening. Massachusetts population grew 37 times as fast as RI and CT combined. However with all the institutions of higher education and associated jobs in MA I was surprised there was only a 1 point difference in the median ages between MA and CT/RI. Isn't it surprising that CT is only around 40 rather than 45-48 with all the bleeding of their young people to Boston and NYC?
Exactly, the age statistics are not significant. People are making assumptions that are not borne out by the data just posted.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:13 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Those population numbers were eye opening. Massachusetts population grew 37 times as fast as RI and CT combined. However with all the institutions of higher education and associated jobs in MA I was surprised there was only a 1 point difference in the median ages between MA and CT/RI. Isn't it surprising that CT is only around 40 rather than 45-48 with all the bleeding of their young people to Boston and NYC?
I think CT and RI have a fairly high number of young children compared to MA...more families, fewer adult singles.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times
RI SHOULD be doing better. With the high cost of living in Mass, Providence should provide a cheaper alternative.

As for CT, they gutted their few cities years ago, so they're currently not in a good position to attract millennials who would rather live in dense, walkable cities. I feel like that should change with the new commuter rail going from Springfield to New Haven. When it's complete, New Haven will have to major highways and two commuter lines and a regional train line running through the middle of that city. If they can't capitalize on that, then they deserve the loss of population.

*It should also be noted, according to Wikipedia, Massachusetts is the 26th fastest growing state in the country. If you include New England, New York, NJ, and PA, it's number 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_growth_rate

It should also be noted that only 2 states in the US that have a higher growth rate than Mass are smaller in overall land area (Delaware, Maryland). Massachusetts is growing fast for the amount of land available.

Edit:

And one more thing that Massachusetts has to its advantage are taxes. Massachusetts is 31st in the country in overall taxes (from low to high). However Mass takes in far more taxes than many states with higher rates because of the higher salaries.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...taxpayer/2416/

Last edited by bolehboleh; 06-27-2017 at 02:01 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 05:22 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
The problem with Providence is there aren't enough jobs and the commute to Boston is just too long to really be a viable alternative to Boston for most people, even if it's cheaper. It doesn't help that the public schools are horrible. Yes, there are certainly people who take commuter rail from Providence to Boston every day; I doubt most of them are truly satisfied with their quality of life.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:07 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The problem with Providence is there aren't enough jobs and the commute to Boston is just too long to really be a viable alternative to Boston for most people, even if it's cheaper. It doesn't help that the public schools are horrible. Yes, there are certainly people who take commuter rail from Providence to Boston every day; I doubt most of them are truly satisfied with their quality of life.
Fair point on the commute, but Providence is still one of the MBTA's busiest commuter station.

But what about Providence jump starting their own economy? Certainly they can offer some tax incentives for certain types of businesses that will encourage people to commute there instead of Boston.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:21 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Fair point on the commute, but Providence is still one of the MBTA's busiest commuter station.

But what about Providence jump starting their own economy? Certainly they can offer some tax incentives for certain types of businesses that will encourage people to commute there instead of Boston.
RI doesn't have the best history with tax incentives.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:22 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
This is interesting, a few years ago I was looking to move somewhere and tried to find work in Connecticut and Rhode Island - at the time, these seemed like good places to raise a growing family (we didn't look into MA much because Boston is so expensive, and Worcester and Springfield didn't really appeal to us). I tried, and tried, and tried - for probably 4 months, and nothing, not a single interview. I decided to expand my search and began looking at W. Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan. Within weeks I was getting interviews and job offers, we moved to Michigan.

Based on the demographic data shared here it doesn't look like I've been alone in having little to no luck moving to CT or RI. That being said, PA, OH, and MI aren't exactly bastions of growth, but I also think the general perception has been Southern New England > The Rust Belt; if economic trends stay similar I wonder if this perception begins to shift over the next decade or so, with the exception of Boston which I suspect will continue to have a very good economic outlook over the next couple decades.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:04 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
This is interesting, a few years ago I was looking to move somewhere and tried to find work in Connecticut and Rhode Island - at the time, these seemed like good places to raise a growing family (we didn't look into MA much because Boston is so expensive, and Worcester and Springfield didn't really appeal to us). I tried, and tried, and tried - for probably 4 months, and nothing, not a single interview. I decided to expand my search and began looking at W. Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan. Within weeks I was getting interviews and job offers, we moved to Michigan.

Based on the demographic data shared here it doesn't look like I've been alone in having little to no luck moving to CT or RI. That being said, PA, OH, and MI aren't exactly bastions of growth, but I also think the general perception has been Southern New England > The Rust Belt; if economic trends stay similar I wonder if this perception begins to shift over the next decade or so, with the exception of Boston which I suspect will continue to have a very good economic outlook over the next couple decades.
I would assume CT continues to decline until their Governors' parties line up with the Presidents party...I am democrat but I do think both of those states need Republican Governors like Charlie Baker right now. Boston is doing really well but if you take out the immediate Boston area Mass. would have growth and economic stats more akin to CT and RI, i.e. declining/stagnating. Massachusetts could use a democratic governor to insure social equality.

Eventually I could see Mass pulling a CT-tremendous economic growth in CT in the 80s and into the 1990s that fueled growth and then it led to massive inequality (what Mass. is really starting to experience right about now). The cities became heavily minority (what many lesser and fringe Mass cities are experiencing right now) and the they never grew and adapted. This, I think put an onus on a more generous welfare and social services system, and led to higher taxes (think Mass.'s likely to pass 'millionaires tax'). The higher taxes, lack of public transit, allocation of services to the low income and Puritan-style New England laws made Connecticut unattractive to high-wage earner as well as young adult professionals.

Massachusetts will have to deal with it racial and economic inequality, ailing public transit, and high cost of living to avoid becoming the next Connecticut. But even more so than 1990s CT -MA could become a victim of its own success if it doesnt nip these issues in the bud. As for Rhode Island it just seems to me they have to find away to make Providence a second engine of the Boston Area and not just a long distance commuter option. They should try to mimic the Boston areas economy ad become a secondary base for upstart tech companies and other young creatives- retain the young people after college. Capitalize on your lower property values and beautiful scenery. They really get hammered in recessions because of weak economy-too much reliance on old money.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Massachusetts will have to deal with it racial and economic inequality, ailing public transit, and high cost of living to avoid becoming the next Connecticut. But even more so than 1990s CT -MA could become a victim of its own success if it doesnt nip these issues in the bud. As for Rhode Island it just seems to me they have to find away to make Providence a second engine of the Boston Area and not just a long distance commuter option. They should try to mimic the Boston areas economy ad become a secondary base for upstart tech companies and other young creatives- retain the young people after college. Capitalize on your lower property values and beautiful scenery. They really get hammered in recessions because of weak economy-too much reliance on old money.

Eh, I don't think the state has the money or will to invest what is needed to do this. Brown is building a new research engineering building and expanding those offerings, but it will be decades before results are seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts