Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:43 PM

550 posts, read 680,563 times

Advertisements

122 Abbott St, North Andover priced at $599k
364 Chestnut St, North Andover $609k both have garages and both are in great neighborhoods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:22 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The vast majority of the suburban housing stock in eastern MA was built in the 50's - 70's. Garages were found in split level and the better homes in the finer suburbs. My neighborhood was built in the 60's. The only houses with garages are splits or had them added as part a of renovation. These were starter homes back then (now $500K plus) and starter homes didn't get garages.
Sorry, I'm still chuckling about the bolded. Growing up, my family's first house was built in the late 50s and had a one car garage. Somewhere down the line, another owner closed off the garage and made it another room. Our second house (in the same town) was built in the 60s and also had a one car garage. This was in Dedham. Back then, Dedham wasn't one of the "finer suburbs"

Old 07-09-2017, 11:33 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post

Simply put, the Greater Boston area is full. There isn't much space to build new, so typically, an older home is bought, torn down, and this is where the new construction comes from. The problem is, it has to be in a market that makes the teardown and rebuild profitable, so ultimately, new construction is very costly. Increase your budget limit, and you will find it. Unfortunately, the majority of us out here can't afford it.
This makes sense, except when I look at an aerial view of the area North of Boston, what do i see? Acres and acres of forest. Hard to see where the area is full. maybe too swamp to build?

Old 07-09-2017, 11:43 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
This makes sense, except when I look at an aerial view of the area North of Boston, what do i see? Acres and acres of forest. Hard to see where the area is full. maybe too swamp to build?
Depending how far out you zoom, the tree cover conceals a lot of homes and other buildings. Then there is a lot of conservation land and NIMBY zoning in many towns. And yes, a lot of wetlands. Land in MA is notoriously bad. It's either sandy, rocky or swampy much of it. It's bad for farming, bad for building.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:05 AM

12 posts, read 17,158 times
Hi and welcome to New England! I am a midwesterner who moved here for grad school and stayed. I would suggest looking at Tewksbury - larger lots, right next door to Andover, good schools, great library, close to highways and your money goes a lot further. Downsides - not a lot of good restaurants nor a cute downtown but you would be close to Andover which has both of those and you could definitely find a nice house with a garage in your price range. Good luck on your move!

Old 07-10-2017, 07:18 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Depending how far out you zoom, the tree cover conceals a lot of homes and other buildings. Then there is a lot of conservation land and NIMBY zoning in many towns. And yes, a lot of wetlands. Land in MA is notoriously bad. It's either sandy, rocky or swampy much of it. It's bad for farming, bad for building.
And by 'rocky' we locals actually mean 'one continuous slab of granite which requires blasting'. In towns with private septic, good luck finding a lot which percs.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:31 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
And by 'rocky' we locals actually mean 'one continuous slab of granite which requires blasting'. In towns with private septic, good luck finding a lot which percs.
Funny, I never had to worry if my lot "perked"! Thanks to all who responded to this thread.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:39 PM

12,423 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Yes, prices are high in the area, and yes, lots of homes, especially older in-town homes have no garage. In fact, it's not rare for a house not to have off-street parking in-town.

You're right that real estate taxes in southern NH suck, and yes, you'll be paying MA state income tax and NH real estate tax if you work in Andover and live in southern NH - double whammy.

Still, Andover isn't too far down into MA, and if I were working there and wanted more house for my money and especially wanted a newer home with a garage, I'd look at any of numerous developments from Manchester on down. There is a lot more land, even in southern NH that is undeveloped, so you can easily find new (and new-er) housing there.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:51 PM

13 posts, read 10,471 times
We live in New Boston, NH and LOVE it!!! It is not too far from Boston, MA and the quality of life is 100 times better.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:37 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank910 View Post
We live in New Boston, NH and LOVE it!!! It is not too far from Boston, MA and the quality of life is 100 times better.
But's it's a 75 minute commute per google maps to Andover through the widening project. Add in a little snow and it's all over a sudden 2+ hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts