Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,693 times

Advertisements

I have read the top posts and the sticky but I need personal advice. I am a hairdresser, mom of 2, 2 giant dogs, and my husband has an offer to relocate to downtown Boston. We are open to going as we went to NC from OH on a literal whim. Kids are still young, I can transfer my license. Our budget would be $500k and we want GREAT schools. Can anyone recommend areas to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:34 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
I would look at Melrose (if you want more urban and access to the T) and at Natick (if you want more suburban and prefer commuter rail.)

Old 07-15-2017, 09:07 AM

652 posts, read 750,019 times
One thing I can say is, take peoples' opinions of school systems with a grain of salt. Even the mediocre public school systems in MA are wonderful compared to a lot of the rest of the country.

That said, 500k will not get you a house in one of the "elite" school districts that get bandied about, but you won't exactly have to worry about your kids joining a gang or anything either with that budget.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:33 AM

317 posts, read 331,652 times
1) Where in Boston is your husband working? 2) What's the smallest size house you will consider? 3) "Great" schools by MA standards are out of your reach with your budget. "Great" schools by any other standards are in abundance here. 4) What is the longest commute time your husband will consider?

Old 07-15-2017, 01:21 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
1) Where in Boston is your husband working? 2) What's the smallest size house you will consider? 3) "Great" schools by MA standards are out of your reach with your budget. "Great" schools by any other standards are in abundance here. 4) What is the longest commute time your husband will consider?
Great schools by MA standards are not necessarily out of your budget, but it'll certainly take all $500k with some sacrifices.

In our experience/ generally speaking, you're going to pay more than your budget for less school if you desire close proximity to Boston proper. For example, Melrose schools are solid, but are outperformed by many suburbs further out, and the home you can afford will be unliveable with a family. If you want tier 1 schools with a $500k budget, I'd look closer to the 495 belt. Generally speaking, the suburbs west of the city are going to offer that balance.

That said, your husband will have to be able to handle the commute. Also, many of the towns west of the city are more quaint, with limited access to much shopping/restaraunts. If you like the outdoors, however, they are the best.. loads of lakes and trails and farms and green space.

I'd consider the following based on schools, aesthetics, size, town resources, proximity to trains/highways:
1. Westford ($$$)
2. Acton ($$$$)
3. Sharon ($$$)
4. Southborough ($$$$)
5. Littleton ($$)

America's Top High Schools 2016
Best Public Schools in Boston 2014
https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...on-metro-area/

Old 07-15-2017, 02:01 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
It depends on what kind of house OP wants. For a newer, larger house, yes. I wouldn't want to go as far as Acton or Littleton, especially with a commute to Boston.

Natick has good schools, two train stations, and the commute downtown is not insane. You can get a decent house -- here's one for 525:
14 Macarthur Rd, Natick, MA 01760 - realtor.com®

And in Natick, if OP decides later on she wants a bigger house, she can do an in-town move, which is easier than moving from a different town. Or she could add on/improve a home and be reasonably confident it will hold that value and be worthwhile.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:55 PM

Everything you said is fair, but Acton has multiple train stops and the schools are the top tier the OP desired. Realistically, Acton is only ~30min drive to Boston, so its not a durastic difference from Natick. Acton average homes prices are probably very similar Natick, but I'm certain Acton is a higher earning town. Pros and cons to that for sure.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M36290-97478

Last edited by mwj119; 07-15-2017 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-15-2017, 10:41 PM

187 posts, read 217,333 times
OP- do you want city life or suburban? I'd recommend the Acton area for more suburban and Natick area more city/suburban. (I live near Acton and LOVE it here). Depends what you are looking for and how much of a commute your husband wants!

Old 07-16-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody99 View Post
OP- do you want city life or suburban? I'd recommend the Acton area for more suburban and Natick area more city/suburban. (I live near Acton and LOVE it here). Depends what you are looking for and how much of a commute your husband wants!
Yes, absolutely agree. Natick has access to route 9, which offers shopping and reataraunts too numerous to mention. To the west, the city of Framingham would provide more options for bars and reataraunts, and to the east is Wellesley/Newton/Brookline.. Very high end.

Acton has some shopping, strip malls, etc. built along 2A. Residents will also leverage Westford to the north and Littleton to the west for their new developments. To the east is Conxord, which provides a beautiful downtown and a ton of outdoor recreation.. think inlets, the Lexington/concord battle site, Walden pond, etc. I'd recommend you look in Concord proper, but it's very very high end.

Westford has some shopping and reataraunts on 110, and often use Littleton and downtown Chelmsford for other shopping and dining outlets. Westford housing is going to look a lot like Acton, but the town itself has grown up a bit nicer than Acton IMO. Non of the apartments scattered along 2A, not a lot of the old strip malls, etc. due to strict zoning. Westford also has Nabnasset and Forge pond which provide great public beaches and parks, a great community center, and a lot of town events like Mays Apple Blossom parade and festival. I was also told on this site that Westford has more school aged children per capita than any other town is Massachusetts. My brother lives there with his family, and I would not be surprised if that stat was true.. families and kids are everywhere, especially during the school year.

It's a matter of preference, but if schools are the top priority, Acton/Westford are going to be the two towns id focus on. Resident from Westford either drive 3/95/93 to get to Boston or cut through Concord and head down 2. If your taking the train, Westford commuters use the Lowell or Littleton trains (depending on what side of town you are on.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57036370_zpid/
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1-25643#photo1
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...57130698_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...57033069_zpid/

Last edited by mwj119; 07-16-2017 at 07:07 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Also consider the Mansfield and Franklin areas for good schools and under an hour to DT Boston by train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts