Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 AM

12 posts, read 11,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This struck me as strange, as well. Part of the appeal of living at the beach is that you would see it and could walk on it all year long. There is enjoyment to be derived from the beach from activities other than sunbathing. Driving to the beach is all well and good, and certainly many people have to do that. But some people want to actually live at the beach, so driving or taking the train isn't a good substitute in that particular quest.

And temps are warmer in the winter near the beach. (Water takes longer to heat up and cool down than land does.)
Again, chicagoliz, thank you....I couldn't have said it better myself. I appreciate you really "hearing" what I was saying in my original post. Living by the beach is not about sunbathing, though that it nice in the warm summer months as well. Its everything....the atmosphere, the people, the ocean air, the boats and yes even the tons of snowfall that beach towns can get. Cincinnati has always been home and I love it for sure. But Life is short and there's nothing wrong with trying something new and taking an adventure towards a dream!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 09:33 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
No offense but quite often you need money to live by the ocean especially around here.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
This struck me as strange, as well. Part of the appeal of living at the beach is that you would see it and could walk on it all year long. There is enjoyment to be derived from the beach from activities other than sunbathing. Driving to the beach is all well and good, and certainly many people have to do that. But some people want to actually live at the beach, so driving or taking the train isn't a good substitute in that particular quest.

I agree. I lived near the ocean all my life, and lived at a beach for 5 years. I have no interest in sunbathing, but enjoyed my time on the ocean, especially in the spring/fall when it's quiet.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 AM

779 posts, read 876,560 times
FromtheNati, I completely understand where you're coming from. I also grew up in the midwest (and in some ways will always consider that "home"), but after moving here I could never move back. Coming from a landlocked state thousands of miles from the closest ocean, I definitely appreciate the ocean here year-round. When we lived in Scituate (in a winter rental about 2 blocks from the beach), we were at the beach nearly every day even in the "off" months. We always walked our dog on the beach. And during the winter Nor'easters, I would walk to the ocean and watch the huge waves. Being from the midwest, I LOVE huge storms. We still live near the ocean and I could never be more than a few miles away (we are in Norwell now). But that's not the only thing. I love being close to the mountains--we ski pretty often in the winter. I love the non-cookie-cutter homes. I love the summers here! The midwest has those hot, super-sticky, humid summers. Even on a hot day here, if you're near the water if feels much more pleasant. And the schools are great. The hospitals are top-notch. There are so many things to DO here.

The biggest drawback is most definitely the cost of living. Coming from the midwest where the price of a house is the price of a downpayment here, it can be shocking. And it's not just the housing costs, it's childcare costs. All of my sisters are still in the midwest and we pay 3x as much as they pay for daycare. Groceries are more expensive, gas is more expensive, everything is just more. It's a big financial decision to move here, but if you think you can do it financially, then I would encourage you to. Not trying to be negative at all, but $1,500/month is a really, really tight budget for 2+BR (even a condo) in a good school district here. Like I said, I think you could get a winter rental in Marshfield or somewhere that is outside what is traditionally the "commutable" south shore towns, but it wouldn't be a long-term solution.

Hoping you find something that works and wishing you the best!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 5,028 times
Quote:
Of course. But OP said specifically she wants to live near a beach. Presumably, as someone who has lived through the seasons multiple times, OP is aware that different times of the year offer different beach experiences. No point in a responding post to say that she shouldn't want to live near a beach.
I completely agree with you. My earlier response was a general observation of the direction this thread took. I think the OP has gotten some very good advice from you and others overall.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:54 AM

12 posts, read 11,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
FromtheNati, I completely understand where you're coming from. I also grew up in the midwest (and in some ways will always consider that "home"), but after moving here I could never move back. Coming from a landlocked state thousands of miles from the closest ocean, I definitely appreciate the ocean here year-round. When we lived in Scituate (in a winter rental about 2 blocks from the beach), we were at the beach nearly every day even in the "off" months. We always walked our dog on the beach. And during the winter Nor'easters, I would walk to the ocean and watch the huge waves. Being from the midwest, I LOVE huge storms. We still live near the ocean and I could never be more than a few miles away (we are in Norwell now). But that's not the only thing. I love being close to the mountains--we ski pretty often in the winter. I love the non-cookie-cutter homes. I love the summers here! The midwest has those hot, super-sticky, humid summers. Even on a hot day here, if you're near the water if feels much more pleasant. And the schools are great. The hospitals are top-notch. There are so many things to DO here.

The biggest drawback is most definitely the cost of living. Coming from the midwest where the price of a house is the price of a downpayment here, it can be shocking. And it's not just the housing costs, it's childcare costs. All of my sisters are still in the midwest and we pay 3x as much as they pay for daycare. Groceries are more expensive, gas is more expensive, everything is just more. It's a big financial decision to move here, but if you think you can do it financially, then I would encourage you to. Not trying to be negative at all, but $1,500/month is a really, really tight budget for 2+BR (even a condo) in a good school district here. Like I said, I think you could get a winter rental in Marshfield or somewhere that is outside what is traditionally the "commutable" south shore towns, but it wouldn't be a long-term solution.

Hoping you find something that works and wishing you the best!
NewfieMama.....thank you! This is such a great response and super helpful coming from a former Midwesterner!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:06 AM

51 posts, read 64,985 times
We're in nearby Hull (where everyone lives like a block from some beach or another). Our family loves living in a laid back beach town! We are on the water or use the beach all 12 months of the year! To echo what some others have said, it's so much more than plopping down on the sand for a few hours on a summer day (though that can be divine), it's a way of life. Actually on the hottest summer days I can't wait for the heat and crowds to clear out, and the cool crisp fall beach days to return, or the howling winter storms and waves, or the eery coastal fog in spring .... love it all. The 20 minute ferry ride to downtown Boston is nice too.

Some other things for the OP to consider based on my own experience. If part of the goal is to be near family that you might want to interact with on a ~ daily basis (as opposed to say just seeing each other on the weekend), I would try to be as near as possible, especially when kids are involved. Makes a big difference if you are 5-10 mins away vs 20-30 for quick visits, running between after school activities, helping each other out, etc. Norwell is a very spread out town, as are all of the other towns you mentioned. If your family in Norwell is over by Rt 3 and you are in Minot Beach part of Scituate (just for an example) you are looking at quite a drive, even though the towns are adjacent to each other! I do agree that price range may make it a bit more challenging to find something, but I am sure there are options out there, and the winter rental idea is a good one. My guess is there will be more winter rentals in a beach town like Scituate or Marshfield than in Norwell, Hingham or Cohasset, but I suppose you could luck out in any of those towns. But as I am sure you have already considered, you don't want to have to move more than necessary (like between different towns/schools) especially with a 9 year old. My kids are 8 & 11 so I am very familiar with that age - and especially with girls I would be hesitant to move them multiple times at this age, as far as being the new kid at school and making friends etc - so if you ultimately want to end up in Scituate then seems like prioritizing finding a rental in that towns will be key.

As far as schools in those towns go, we have good friends with kids similar age to your daughter in Cohasset and Scituate and all are happy with their schools. I don't know as much firsthand about Norwell, Hingham or Marshfield schools. My sense is of the bunch, Hingham schools have a bit of a pressure cooker/snobby reputation (and there are at least a couple families we know that have moved to Hull recently to get their kids out of that vibe) so could be harder for a new kid (?) - but that's nothing more than anecdotal, I know there are great people to be found everywhere!

good luck!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
many plus's to living near or on the beach year round and yes it's great but make sure you understand there are minus's all so. Hurricanes , floods,and in Mass it is actually "colder "(damp)at the beach during the winter at the shore and then there is traffic of the summer people and tourist and the cost's ,seaside property is more expensive.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazil View Post
We're in nearby Hull (Our family loves living in a laid back beach town!...My sense is of the bunch, Hingham schools have a bit of a pressure cooker/snobby reputation (and there are at least a couple families we know that have moved to Hull recently to get their kids out of that vibe) so could be harder for a new kid (?) - but that's nothing more than anecdotal, I know there are great people to be found everywhere!
Are your children in Hull public schools? I haven't heard much about that school system. I'd love to hear your firsthand impressions.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:42 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
No offense but quite often you need money to live by the ocean especially around here.

Eh, my aunt is pretty broke and she god a condo right near the sea in Swampscott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts