Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:23 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,303,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Eh, my aunt is pretty broke and she god a condo right near the sea in Swampscott.
Section 8?

you always come up with some atypical situation. Most people who are stretched thin for money or broke aren't living on the beach or particularly close to it. Certainly not in places like Cohasset or scituate.

Another option would be the cape. Certainly you could find something for $1500 there...and there is a commuter rail that is almost finished in the Harwich/Dennis area also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:41 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,748,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Section 8?

you always come up with some atypical situation. Most people who are stretched thin for money or broke aren't living on the beach or particularly close to it. Certainly not in places like Cohasset or scituate.

Another option would be the cape. Certainly you could find something for $1500 there...and there is a commuter rail that is almost finished in the Harwich/Dennis area also.

No, not section 8, she bought a condo. I said condo. She earns much less than I do. You can pay very little (even less) if you live in Lynn near the shore too.

It's really not that atypical.

What is strange is people here always make out about how you can't live here, or live here decently, if you earn under (insert magic number here) where people on average learn less than that, and still do well.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:51 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,381,072 times
Quote:
Most people who are stretched thin for money or broke aren't living on the beach or particularly close to it. Certainly not in places like Cohasset or scituate.

The quotes below are directly from the OP, so you can probably stop trying to steer them away from their target area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromtheNati View Post
I am hoping not to spend more than $1500 a month on rent for a two or three bedroom house, condo or apartment. I have found several places already, however, I would definitely not rent anything until much closer to the move date.

As for suggestions to try Rhode island, NH or Maine...i appreciate the suggestions and they look like amazing places to move but right now I need to be right by my family who lives in Norwell, MA which is why I'm considering the towns listed above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromtheNati View Post
Hey everyone....I truly appreciate your responses but can we not bicker on here about the towns please? Esepcially the towns that I ave not listed in my thread. I really am only looking at Scituate, Higham, Norwell, Cohasset and Marshfield but leaning mostly heavily towards Scituate. Again, I am grateful to everyone for taking the time to respond...this is a big decision and it helps to here constructive honest responses that can help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's really not that atypical. What is strange is people here always make out about how you can't live here, or live here decently, if you earn under (insert magic number here) where people on average learn less than that, and still do well.
Agreed, for me that is the most frustrating thing about these boards. It goes so far as to be giving people bum information.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:37 PM

51 posts, read 64,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Are your children in Hull public schools? I haven't heard much about that school system. I'd love to hear your firsthand impressions.
Yes they are in elementary and middle school here. The schools are great! Great teachers, responsive administrators, engaged parents, small classes, new buildings, etc. We work in higher ed and have high expectations for our children's education and are very happy with how things are going. My kids, while both very bright (say all parents, ha ha!), have very different personalities and learning styles from each other, and I have also been impressed with how well the teachers and schools work to meet each individual's needs.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazil View Post
Yes they are in elementary and middle school here. The schools are great! Great teachers, responsive administrators, engaged parents, small classes, new buildings, etc. We work in higher ed and have high expectations for our children's education and are very happy with how things are going. My kids, while both very bright (say all parents, ha ha!), have very different personalities and learning styles from each other, and I have also been impressed with how well the teachers and schools work to meet each individual's needs.
Much appreciated and great to know! If we were ever to leave Cambridge, we'd probably do so to be near the ocean. It's tough to find laid back economically diverse towns with great schools on the ocean. Hull was not previously on the radar.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:36 PM

126 posts, read 122,686 times
Boston has much more severe and snowy winters than Cincinnati, it's not even close.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:51 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,303,482 times
Giving someone other suggestions isnt steering them away. With her budget it will be difficult to find a place in those areas...not to mention that even if she does she will be a bit of place as a single mother living amongst mostly wealthier families. Maybe that is ok with her but she might feel like an outcast.

Also not sure why hull isn't on her list. She is looking for caviar on a beer budget basically.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:05 PM

9,927 posts, read 15,496,297 times
Maybe she could find something in Marshfield. Cohasset and Hingham are obviously out of her budget. Probably Scituate as well, but I would try Marshfield.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
...not to mention that even if she does she will be a bit of place as a single mother living amongst mostly wealthier families. Maybe that is ok with her but she might feel like an outcast.

Also not sure why hull isn't on her list. She is looking for caviar on a beer budget basically.
Hull isn't an on her list, I was responding to another post which suggested Hull and taking it admittedly a bit off-topic.

To the first part of your posts, are you even for real?

Old 07-21-2017, 05:53 PM

4,550 posts, read 4,798,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
Boston has much more severe and snowy winters than Cincinnati, it's not even close.
Snowy, yes. Severe, no.

Boston gets 43" of snow vs. 22"
However, Boston has an average of 22 snowy days. Cincinnati 21.
Boston has an average RH of between 67 and 63% during the winter. Cinci - 73 to 70%
Average lows, Nov-March: BOS-38, 28, 22, 24, 31. CIN-36, 26, 23, 26, 34.
Hours of sunshine, Nov-March: BOS-143, 142, 163, 168, 213. CIN- 118, 99, 120, 128, 170

All precipitation? BOS-43" CIN-42"

CN: Boston is snowier but sunnier and often warmer throughout the winter than Cincinnati.

Cincinnati is a bit hotter in the summer though. Both the record high and record low are more extreme in Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts