Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:47 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Not to derail the thread, but what towns do you think have the greatest upside? Are there any towns that you think are currently undervalued? ....appreciating no one has a crystal ball.

We may do a 1031 exchange to cash out a rental property in Boston market and buy something on the cape or RI.

It all comes down to your personal tastes. Some feel the pressures of a hectic life fade away as soon as they cross one of the bridges over the canal to "escape to the Cape" while others need to go further out.
My wife and I are big fans of Provincetown with its euro artist party vibe but we wouldn't want to live out that far.

I don't think there are any towns that are undervalued but each town has its ups and downs and property deals to be had. Are you after the fun family vibe found along rt28 in Yarmouth and Dennis or the more laid back Cape found along rt 6a or the really olde Cape feel found in Truro, Wellfleet and Eastham?

The choice is up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:58 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
The cape is pretty hectic between memorial day weekend and labor day weekend. Any other time I would agree that it is less hectic than the Boston area for sure...but i do find myself getting annoyed with people in the summer...even though I'm really just a summer person there myself! I go down every weekend. Going pretty much anywhere on the weekend can be a bit nuts. I went to stop and shop around 8am on a Saturday morning thinking i was ahead of the game but I was so wrong.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
The cape is pretty hectic between memorial day weekend and labor day weekend. Any other time I would agree that it is less hectic than the Boston area for sure...but i do find myself getting annoyed with people in the summer...even though I'm really just a summer person there myself! I go down every weekend. Going pretty much anywhere on the weekend can be a bit nuts. I went to stop and shop around 8am on a Saturday morning thinking i was ahead of the game but I was so wrong.

The heavy tourist season on Cape works around the kids school vacation which is basically 8 weeks in the Summer. The rest of the year we have it all to ourselves but when we go off Cape and "up to the world" as I call it the traffic is crazy all the time. Oh well that is progress I guess.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
Traffic aside, I just prefer the vibe of the outer cape. I find it a bit more laid back and cordial. The 6a stretch is so overcrowded in the summer. Everyone has considerable spent time and $ to get there, and feel pressured (and sometimes entitled) to get theirs. I've seen adults plow over small children to get their rightful spot in line for an ice cream cone. We went to the Sesuit Harbor Cafe when visiting friends on the cape recently. There was almost a brawl over people accusing others of cutting the 60+ minute line. The vibe in that part of the Cape is the anthesis of relaxing to me. YMMV.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:27 PM

I tried going to that sesuit harbor cafe at 6pm on a Saturday and couldn't get in. Also had ice cream at the sundae school in Harwich and that was pretty crazy as well. I like the idea of going out for ice cream but after that it just seems better to get some at the grocery store and have it at home. I do love the cape though.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:01 PM

The Sesuit harbor cafe is pretty cool and that is why it always seems to be crowded. We tried going with friends a few weeks back and the line was about 50 people deep. Another place that is always packed is Arnolds in Eastham.

Give it a few more weeks and the crowds will start to thin, the weather will still be perfect and you will be able to get a table at the cafe and a relaxed ice cream at the Sunday School on the road to Nauset Beach or at the Brewster Scoop next to the General Store.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:22 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
Yes, we used to save our summer vacation for after Labor Day and spend a week on the Cape or islands. Absolutely gorgeous, warm water, no crowds, without a doubt the best time to be there. Unfortunately we have a few kids in school now so that doesn't work. Damn human anchors…

Old 08-04-2017, 07:14 PM

636 posts, read 705,781 times
Where was that Cape Cod community about several/ten years ago back, a native CCod woman was brutally murdered in her home during the non tourist season after being randomly targeted by 2 native local losers. The murder trial was on Court Tv. That, at least in my view, symbolically removed the idea the Cape was a place to escape the violence going in the rest of the country.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Christa Worthington? That was truro. Awful story

Old 08-05-2017, 07:08 AM

The 2002 murder of Christa Worthington was a terrible crime.
The Cape is not insulated from the problems of crime and drugs but the occurrence seems to be less often. We do have our problem areas like almost anywhere does but it is still possible to distance yourself from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts