Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 08:41 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times

Advertisements

Waverly Square area?

Walkable, straight shot to Cambridge plus there are good public transit options. I haven't been there in a long time but when I lived there I walked all around there. Since that time, I do know a big supermarket was built--previously you had to go to Cambridge or elsewhere for a supermarket--and it has gotten more built up overall.

One of the Newtons would be great except for commuting to Cambridge. Newton is better for commuting to Boston than to Cambridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:28 AM

25 posts, read 22,748 times
mwj119, I think Cambridge is out of our price range for what I'm looking for!

Old 06-05-2018, 11:32 AM

So we have finally got to the stage of interviews and realtors for our Seattle house. My husband will be in Boston this week and is going to try and narrow our town choice down, - we are considering, thanks to all of you, Newton, Arlington, Belmont and Winchester. Considering I will be moving with three teenagers who are used to having the freedom in Seattle to get anywhere they need to either on foot or by public transport, which of the Newton villages would you recommend? We are also considering Needham as an outside chance because I always liked the downtown area. I think it's a little too far out though for my husband and kids!

Old 06-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Hey goolsbyjazz, we really like Seattle but the stuff going on in the city right now has me worried. Petty crime is HUGE. My freshman son has been mugged 3 times in the last year in the afternoon after school on his way home, - we live in a really nice area and this is not out of the ordinary. Our car has been prowled numerous times and stolen and crashed once. I think Seattle is in trouble crime wise and there is no plan or will to address it. A woman was attacked in a busy park on a sunny weekend morning last September and people just stood around watching, nobody helped her. That left a mark on me. I can't imagine not helping somebody in trouble. People here are too passive. It leaves me feeling unsafe given the level of crime and lack of enforcement. Finally, the city just imposed a head tax on businesses that I think will impact the economy negatively and I don't want to be here when that happens. All that said, the PNW is stunningly beautiful but has everything we wanted when we moved out here but it just doesn't feel like home.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:09 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislingdeas View Post
So we have finally got to the stage of interviews and realtors for our Seattle house. My husband will be in Boston this week and is going to try and narrow our town choice down, - we are considering, thanks to all of you, Newton, Arlington, Belmont and Winchester. Considering I will be moving with three teenagers who are used to having the freedom in Seattle to get anywhere they need to either on foot or by public transport, which of the Newton villages would you recommend? We are also considering Needham as an outside chance because I always liked the downtown area. I think it's a little too far out though for my husband and kids!
Waban, Newton Centre and Newton Highlands all have T stops and it is easy to take the T. My 14 year old takes the T quite a bit, has taken the bus, and walks to a whole lot of places.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:14 PM

880 posts, read 818,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislingdeas View Post
Hey goolsbyjazz, we really like Seattle but the stuff going on in the city right now has me worried. Petty crime is HUGE.
This page is a pretty good summary of Crime in Newton compared to US average
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...achusetts.html

The type of crime you may encounter in Newton is auto & burglary. Nice homes very close to the T become opportunist targets. I don't think there have been many cases where the homeowner has been at home at the time and the simple solution is a big dog.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:27 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Newton would be a way more convenient option if you were to go into Boston frequently. It also has more of a small city feel in certain areas. Needham being more suburban. Needham center sure has gotten nice though.. It's a tough choice. They are both superb communities.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:12 PM

8 posts, read 6,679 times
Newton
Needham

Old 06-14-2018, 11:03 AM

68 posts, read 66,024 times
If I were you and had the money, had a decent job.. I'd stay in Seattle area. WA would be better than Massachusetts in my eyes as well.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:33 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWbound14 View Post
If I were you and had the money, had a decent job.. I'd stay in Seattle area. WA would be better than Massachusetts in my eyes as well.
Lived both. I'd take Massachusetts.. COL is almost a wash now with the rapid increase in WA over the last 5 years.

For me, I much prefer Greater Boston. The traditional suburbs, the coastline, the vibrancy of Boston + Cambridge + Brookline + Somerville. The city life feels infinitely bigger and more expansive here. Just much broader shoulders compared to Seattle.

Downside? Traffic is worse in Mass. Don't let anyone tell you different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts