Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:41 PM

23,558 posts, read 18,651,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
As I understand it, the black kid is from Quincy (he failed out of Quincy high and is on the north Quincy football team?) and I am assuming the rest of the thugs are also from Quincy. And....those kids getting harrassed looked like they are from Milton. And yes, I do mean that the few times I see or hear about blacks in Quincy it's in crappy stories like this. There are many Asian kids in Quincy but I don't see or hear about them harassing anybody.
Most of the blacks in Quincy live in the Germantown projects, at least that's how it was in the past. Could have something to do with it.

Also wasn't one of the attackers white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 09:35 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,100,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
There are absolutely Asian gangs in Quincy and Randolph. You just don't see many news reports about it.
There was a home invasion in Randolph just last month involving Hispanic and Asian.

It didn't draw the same sensational news coverage because it doesn't fit the manufactured boogeyman narrative that sells newspapers and draws clicks.
I think Randolph has lots of Vietnamese while Quincy is predominantly Chinese. Don't tell any Chinese they are the same as the Vietnamese.....I seem to remember a program on local tv in quincy stating that Quincy is lucky to have very low level of gang activity. I forgot what program was....

Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Most of the blacks in Quincy live in the Germantown projects, at least that's how it was in the past. Could have something to do with it.

Also wasn't one of the attackers white?
Maybe that's why I don't see them, as I don't have any reason to go to that part of the city. I just remember the black kid doing most of the physical harassment in the video, and one white kid jumping around providing the peanut gallery support. Both need to be caned badly.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:58 PM

880 posts, read 818,422 times
Quote:
I think Randolph has lots of Vietnamese while Quincy is predominantly Chinese. Don't tell any Chinese they are the same as the Vietnamese.....I seem to remember a program on local tv in quincy stating that Quincy is lucky to have very low level of gang activity. I forgot what program was....
The disparity in crime rates between the 2 races boils down to "extreme" family values instilled for Chinese and education above everything else... there is still plenty of criminals within the Chinese community however

Old 08-04-2017, 10:31 PM

319 posts, read 504,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
The disparity in crime rates between the 2 races boils down to "extreme" family values instilled for Chinese and education above everything else... there is still plenty of criminals within the Chinese community however
nonsense. Every sociologist will tell you it has to do with immigrant status, supporting community/family structure and how that plays into socio-economic mobility. There are plenty of Black immigrants ( Jamaican, Hatian, Nigerian, etc.) that practice the same "extreme" family values and enjoy the same success you attribute solely to the false "magical" narrative of Chinese community. Some of Jewish descent have similar community, some of African descent (Jamaican, Hatian, Nigerian, etc.) have similar community, some of hispanic descent (Cuban) have similar community.

The incorrect broad brush you paint is a sloppy grouping to fit a tired narrative.
There are many struggling people who are Chinese in Massachusetts and other places that do not fit your generalization. There is a huge difference between immigrants to come to Massachusetts for college, immigrants who come to Massachusetts for "a better life," and those who have been in the US for generations struggling.

Last edited by newmassphd; 08-04-2017 at 10:50 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I mentioned Asian gangs in my post. And yes there are Asian gangs, there are Chinese organized criminal enterprises, there are also Vietnamese gangs. A while back (2011 as I recall) federal agencies busted an Asian gang operating out of Chinatown and Quincy. Do you think those people just packed up and went away?

Lowell has Asian gangs as well.

And lets not forget Asian gangs (many Chinese) operating in New York. https://patch.com/new-york/parkslope...rooklyn-queens

Asian (including Chinese) gangs are active in Los Angeles: Asian Gangs in Los Angeles County | Wah Chings | Pinoy | Jeffrox | Satanas – | StreetGangs.Com

Also in Chicago.

I encourage you to read the FBI Gang Threat Assessment and the FBI's annual gang report.
There are many Asian (including Chinese) gangs and gang members.

So your assertion is ill-informed

Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 PM

There is also a growing body of work in the research literature concerning Asian gangs. There are many discussions on Chinese gangs and their growth in the USA. So don't be fooled by the "model minority" myth

https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c.../asiangang.htm

Gangs of Atlanta: New Film Upends Asian 'Model Minority Myth' - NBC News

Old 08-05-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
I mentioned Asian gangs in my post. And yes there are Asian gangs, there are Chinese organized criminal enterprises, there are also Vietnamese gangs. A while back (2011 as I recall) federal agencies busted an Asian gang operating out of Chinatown and Quincy. Do you think those people just packed up and went away?

Lowell has Asian gangs as well.

And lets not forget Asian gangs (many Chinese) operating in New York. https://patch.com/new-york/parkslope...rooklyn-queens

Asian (including Chinese) gangs are active in Los Angeles: Asian Gangs in Los Angeles County | Wah Chings | Pinoy | Jeffrox | Satanas – | StreetGangs.Com

Also in Chicago.

I encourage you to read the FBI Gang Threat Assessment and the FBI's annual gang report.
There are many Asian (including Chinese) gangs and gang members.

So your assertion is ill-informed
Interesting. I am sure Asian gangs do exist. But what I am saying is that, as a person who has lived in Quincy for many years, I have not seen, heard or witnessed many Asian criminal activities or gangs, if any. And the few times I see or hear about black people, they are in the context of some criminal event. But thanks for the extensive info. I do know that the model minority image does not apply to all Asians and that there are those who are struggling. I do agree that the cultural emphasis on education do lead to success, and that emphasis can be held by any group.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
nonsense. Every sociologist will tell you it has to do with immigrant status, supporting community/family structure and how that plays into socio-economic mobility. There are plenty of Black immigrants ( Jamaican, Hatian, Nigerian, etc.) that practice the same "extreme" family values and enjoy the same success you attribute solely to the false "magical" narrative of Chinese community. Some of Jewish descent have similar community, some of African descent (Jamaican, Hatian, Nigerian, etc.) have similar community, some of hispanic descent (Cuban) have similar community.

The incorrect broad brush you paint is a sloppy grouping to fit a tired narrative.
There are many struggling people who are Chinese in Massachusetts and other places that do not fit your generalization. There is a huge difference between immigrants to come to Massachusetts for college, immigrants who come to Massachusetts for "a better life," and those who have been in the US for generations struggling.

My point is that cultures that value and practice "family values" & "education importance" are the least likely to be "high percentage" source of violent crime. In terms of Vietnamese, many came as boat people "as kids" in the 70s and 80s often without their parents thus the loss of family structure

Are you disputing this?

Old 08-05-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I am sure Asian gangs do exist. But what I am saying is that, as a person who has lived in Quincy for many years, I have not seen, heard or witnessed many Asian criminal activities or gangs, if any. And the few times I see or hear about black people, they are in the context of some criminal event. But thanks for the extensive info. I do know that the model minority image does not apply to all Asians and that there are those who are struggling. I do agree that the cultural emphasis on education do lead to success, and that emphasis can be held by any group.

The Asian gangs (including Chinese which are often from Hong Kong or illegal immigrants from very poor villages in China) target other Asians such as Business owners or rich kids from China. The victims are often targeted within the community (usually home/business invasion) so it doesn't seem widespread to other people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts