U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2008, 02:07 PM

16,545 posts, read 19,145,661 times
Default Elsie's on the Cape?

Does anyone know of a deli-sandwich shop-restaurant on the Cape named Elsie's?
I remember eating there 30 years ago and they had HUGE sandwiches. I wonder if it's still there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 PM

507 posts, read 1,148,912 times
Do you know what town it was in? It doesn't sound familiar.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 AM

951 posts, read 463,279 times
Sorry, like many things you might remember, it's gone. It was still here 25 years ago when I came, but it closed in the mid 80's, if I remember correctly.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:23 PM
miu

12,992 posts, read 21,778,067 times
The only Elsie's deli with big sandwiches that I remember from that time period was in Harvard Square on Mt. Auburn street. They had a sandwich called the Fresser's Dream with several kinds of cold cuts and cole slaw inside of it.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:16 PM

507 posts, read 1,148,912 times
Are you sure it what Elsie's? I think there is also a place called Ellie's on the Cape.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 21,951 times
Default Elsie's On The Cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Does anyone know of a deli-sandwich shop-restaurant on the Cape named Elsie's?
I remember eating there 30 years ago and they had HUGE sandwiches. I wonder if it's still there.
Elsie's is no longer there - closed in the late 80's. I used to work there as a cook during highschool back in the 80's and am very close to the family that owned it. Elsie, or "Oma" as we called her (Grandma in German) is still alive and on the Cape believe it or not. Elsie and Henry Baumann opened the first Elsie's Deli in Harvard Square back in the 50's I believe and moved to the Cape where they opened up Elsies again on Rt. 28 in Falmouth.

The sandwiches were huge and we prided ourselves on the quality of everything served. The meats and wursts were the best you could buy and the kitchen and restaurant were extrememly clean and run exceptionally well by the Baumann family who all worked there. It was also an excellent place to work and learn - Rudy and Wendy Baumann preferred to hire Falmouth highschool kids to wait tables and work in the kitchen and they ran a tight ship. You may recall that the waitresses wore German dirndells.

I'm still very much in touch with the Baumanns, their oldest son and I went into the military together after highschool and Elsie's and we're both godparents to eachoter's kids. What fond memories!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,791 times
Default Elsie's in Harvard Square.

Thank you the personal info on Elsie's. When I was a student in the early 70's I frequented a sandwich shop and could not remember the name. When I worked in DT Boston I even took the train into the square for lunch at...ELSIE's! I do remember it well! I even remember The Tasty Diner....and really started a memory lane trip after watching Good Will Hunting for the um-teenth time and saw Tasty's. Anyone remember eating at Simeone's Italian restaurant on Brookline ave in Central Square? I ate there so much....well it was my Dad's place. Live in So Cal now but visit Bawston often.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 PM
miu

12,992 posts, read 21,778,067 times
I remember Zum Zum's in Harvard Square! I think that I used to order the Blue Max burger.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:37 AM

50 posts, read 174,326 times
I grew up in Falmouth in the 1970s and I don't remember Elsies. When did it open? Was it on Rt. 28, sort of leaving Falmouth, 28 goes to a divided highway shortly after it? I recall a sandwich shop there but it was in such a locale that you wouldn't drive by it unless you were leaving Falmouth or going to West Falmouth. I never knew anyone who ever went there.

Strangely enough I remember Elsies in Harvard Sq. and went there.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,037 times
Default Yes there was an Elsie's on the Cape

There indeed was an Elsie's on the Cape as I ate there with my grandmother on a road trip about 35 -40 years ago; I can seem to remember it was closer to the canal and not far into the cape, I am thinking Bourne or Sagamore, but as I was about 8 years old; not fully sure. Will post if I find out more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts