U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:48 AM

4,598 posts, read 4,104,951 times

Advertisements

Surprised that this wasn't posted here before. Mavis Wanczyk of Chicopee will pocket the lump sum of $336 million after taxes. Any thoughts on what Mavis should do with this incredible windfall?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:52 AM

3,943 posts, read 2,565,134 times
I don't know why she came forward with everyone knowing her name. She's going to get requests left and right from people wanting her money. I bet she becomes one of those lottery winners who spends it all and has nothing left eventually.

Personally, I'd buy a couple nice houses, and start a charitable foundation. I'd take a few million for mad money, and the rest I'd hand over to my financial advisor so it would last forever.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:55 AM

15,633 posts, read 8,554,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I don't know why she came forward with everyone knowing her name. She's going to get requests left and right from people wanting her money. I bet she becomes one of those lottery winners who spends it all and has nothing left eventually.

Personally, I'd buy a couple nice houses, and start a charitable foundation. I'd take a few million for mad money, and the rest I'd hand over to my financial advisor so it would last forever.
That works really well for celebrities.

Congrats to Mavis! She was a loyal long term hospital employee working a tough job. May she have a nice long rest and enjoy her retirement.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That works really well for celebrities.

Congrats to Mavis! She was a loyal long term hospital employee working a tough job. May she have a nice long rest and enjoy her retirement.
If you're saying the factiously, I mean I'd hand it over to a certified financial advisor who acts as a financial trustee. Not my brother or mother or some guy off the street.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:06 AM

13,847 posts, read 10,410,359 times
Quote:

It's public information.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's public information.
Plenty of people hire an attorney and the attorney claims the money on behalf of the client. This has been done for many past powerball winners. You absolutely can come forward anonymously.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:09 AM

15,633 posts, read 8,554,663 times
Quote:
If you're saying the factiously, I mean I'd hand it over to a certified financial advisor who acts as a financial trustee. Not my brother or mother or some guy off the street.
Their professional managers and advisors steal their money, or slack off and lose it, it happens a lot.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Their professional managers and advisors steal their money, or slack off and lose it, it happens a lot.
Most of the people who've lost all their money haven't had certified advisors who have managed high-worth individuals for many years. Such people do exist.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:36 AM

13,847 posts, read 10,410,359 times
Quote:
Plenty of people hire an attorney and the attorney claims the money on behalf of the client. This has been done for many past powerball winners. You absolutely can come forward anonymously.
Lottery winners in MA do not have the right to remain anonymous, per se. They would have to establish a private trust; which of course prevents one doing a basic public search from tying it to them, but it is still usually traceable depending on how far one wants to dig. This was a big controversy a few years ago, and reported by several news outlets.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Lottery winners in MA do not have the right to remain anonymous, per se. They would have to establish a private trust; which of course prevents one doing a basic public search from tying it to them, but it is still usually traceable depending on how far one wants to dig. This was a big controversy a few years ago, and reported by several news outlets.
I suppose, yes, if someone is determined to find the lotto winner, they can. But when they go on television and their name is all over the media, it makes it very easy for every Tom, Dick and Harry to come to them with their sob story, and for all those long lost relatives to come out of the closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts