U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 973 times

Advertisements

Hello

We are moving and need to know more about the area Marlborough?
We have a golden retriever and we will be walking him.

Good walking areas? Less snow areas? And any good friendly pubs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:18 PM

6,265 posts, read 8,135,027 times
Sections of the Assabet Rail Trail wind through Hudson and Marlborough. I don't own a dog, but I know it is dog friendly. Many areas of Marlborough have sidewalks; however, there aren't a lot of interesting destinations to walk around and to. Both Marlborough and Hudson have a lot of strip mall and chain restaurant type businesses. Marlborough has more and more gritty areas. Hudson has a better town center with some decent pubs and a cute nitro ice cream parlor. Guess it's obvious which one I recommend for you.

I'll add if you are taking a job in Marlborough, you may want to check out the nicer parts of Worcester. Not a bad commute to Marlborough and more opportunities to meet new people in a small city than a suburb.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 08-30-2017 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-30-2017, 12:26 PM

13,498 posts, read 10,252,104 times
The Horseshoe in Hudson is a nice local pub, with good food and a great selection of beers on tap. It's in right in the DT area by the rail trail.

I also like the Halfway Cafe (best tips in the area) in Marlborough, but that is pretty far on the edge of town going towards Sudbury.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:44 PM

906 posts, read 1,153,034 times
Medusa Brewery in Hudson is a nice tap room and may be well-behaved dog friendly since they don't serve food.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:48 PM

38,727 posts, read 29,165,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Medusa Brewery in Hudson is a nice tap room and may be well-behaved dog friendly since they don't serve food.

Too bad their beer is so, um, mediocre, but yeah, it's a nice room. I'd suggest True West in Acton before it, at least their quad is drinkable and their other's are alright for the most part.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 PM

5,776 posts, read 14,446,614 times
If you're looking for a walking spot that is more off-road rather than pleasant residential neighborhood streets, you might check out Callahan State Park. It's located on the west side of Framingham, near the border with Marlborough. Nice trails through woods and hills, and it seems to be a popular place for walking dogs.

Last edited by ogre; 08-30-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 02:42 PM

2,932 posts, read 3,092,795 times
There's a nice set of trails through Northborough next door too (on the West side of town, Cold Harbor Brook area). Berlin has some trails too.

The whole area gets a whole lot of snow.

North on 495 get a little more rural until you get up to Lowell (Stow, Bolton, Harvard). All great towns, but rural.
South on 495 stays pretty suburban until you have to go a long way, too far to commute (Southborough, Milbury, Franklin) with some rural towns interspersed (Hopkinton, Bellingham[though that's fairly suburban])
West on 290 and 9, Northborough, Westborough and Shrewsbury are suburban. Worcester isn't.
East on 20, suburban/semi-rural and much more expensive.
East on 9, gets urban and expensive fast.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:42 AM

906 posts, read 1,153,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Too bad their beer is so, um, mediocre, but yeah, it's a nice room. I'd suggest True West in Acton before it, at least their quad is drinkable and their other's are alright for the most part.
There is worse than Medusa now that the craft beer bubble is highly over inflated. I had a couple styles there that I liked, but the fact that I can't remember which ones isn't a great sign. A second on that True West quad! We're spoiled here in creepy Orange by Honest Weight, but they're an outlier both in geography and quality.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:00 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,165,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
There is worse than Medusa now that the craft beer bubble is highly over inflated. I had a couple styles there that I liked, but the fact that I can't remember which ones isn't a great sign. A second on that True West quad! We're spoiled here in creepy Orange by Honest Weight, but they're an outlier both in geography and quality.

Honest Weight is solid. So is Brick and Feather.

I still need to check out Stone Cow.

Still nothing around close to Tree House though, but even with the new place, it's a good wait/line.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:08 AM

193 posts, read 210,207 times
Look into the Sudbury Reservoir, which is on Parmenter Road right near the Framingham/Marlborough line. The second, less traveled section of Callahan State Park is near there, too; same road, but I think it's still called Edmands at that point. The main section of Callahan is good for walking dogs, but it is often crowded.

The Sudbury Reservoir is beautiful... Long flat walking trails right along the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts