Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:22 AM

9,966 posts, read 15,570,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Also, a 650 isn't even what it used to be with score inflation. Not that I would ever use it as criteria for hiring an employee.
That's true. Mine was a long time ago, but I'm still bad at math. I'm just good at taking tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 11:18 AM

1,898 posts, read 1,390,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
That's true. Mine was a long time ago, but I'm still bad at math. I'm just good at taking tests.
Me too, old school 720 in Math but my girlfriend had to wet nurse me through Calculus 1 freshman year of college.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:46 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,120,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
This is pure nonsense but it sounds good so people keep repeating it. The average "non-teaching administrative job" in higher education pays $50k/year or less. Even upper managers rarely break 6 figures unless they're at a top top school and the few "high paid" employees do jobs that would pay even more in the for profit sector. Most people would make more working outside of higher education.
You can't look at purely income, you have to also address benefits. My wife works admin for a respected MA college and, while her salary is modest, she works <40 hours a week, gets 12% match on her retirement with 2% in, and receives exceptional healthcare benefits (which is good, because my private sector healthcare was one a race to the bottom). We also receive free tuition and a laundry list of other smaller, but very valuable, benefits such as professional legal services, subsidized daycare, etc. While all of these things are "nice", none of them are "free".

Old 09-01-2017, 12:54 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,131,848 times
Spend tens to hundreds of thousand of dollars on an education. Then look for a job competing with someone from overseas who spent 5K for their education (or worse - $2K for their diploma - classes optional), then compete with that foreigner for the same US based job that pays 50K knowing the foreigner has the edge with the company because they are willing to work 16 hours a day, or put up with horrendous management directives. Yes, it's easy to see why Americans are turning from those jobs.

It used to be that you came into this country at the bottom and worked your way up. Now you come into the middle and push the established middle class down.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:07 PM

23,296 posts, read 18,454,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I mostly hire people who had at least a 650 MATH SAT score. They're not attending "certificate of attendance" state schools that used to be state teacher's colleges. They're not attending "you're admitted if you can fog a mirror and pay the tuition" private colleges. It's not elitist to need to hire people with the 90th+ percentile intellectual capability to do the work.

Pretty much half the country attends college. That means you have a ton of 100 IQ average people sitting in classrooms. The profs have to teach to that level. The curriculum for a math or science course in a community college is very different from a top-100 university.
So you are saying there is no one from MCLA, or Bridgewater, or Salem, or Fitchburg...with a 650 SAT math score??? I'm not sure about some of these private liberal arts colleges you reference, but those state universities offer as challenging a curriculum as asked for by the student. Probably on close to the level of some of these top universities you hold in such high esteem.

If you truly pass over applicants solely because they graduated from one of these "former state teacher's colleges", then you are simply living in the past and yourself is the one who loses.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:23 PM

9,966 posts, read 15,570,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So you are saying there is no one from MCLA, or Bridgewater, or Salem, or Fitchburg...with a 650 SAT math score??? I'm not sure about some of these private liberal arts colleges you reference, but those state universities offer as challenging a curriculum as asked for by the student. Probably on close to the level of some of these top universities you hold in such high esteem.

If you truly pass over applicants solely because they graduated from one of these "former state teacher's colleges", then you are simply living in the past and yourself is the one who loses.
Probably Framingham is a cut above most of those other ones.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Probably Framingham is a cut above most of those other ones.
IDK, depends on who you ask. The only one I've heard consistent negative on is Westfield. The rest, mostly good stuff.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:59 PM

Retailers Association prez on impact of rising college tuition | Boston Herald

Old 09-03-2017, 01:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,680,772 times
It's a myth that colleges don't pay taxes. Correct, they don't pay corporate income or sales tax but they do pay payroll and SS taxes for their employees and at the end of the day, they do still obsess over budgets and try to keep costs down.

Even if tomorrow, colleges had to pay the same taxes as for profit institutions, nothing substantial would change. A few staff members would just get laid off and tuition would rise to compensate. The reason college is so expensive is because it's viewed as a "necessity," just like healthcare.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:36 PM

9,827 posts, read 7,125,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
It's a myth that colleges don't pay taxes. Correct, they don't pay corporate income or sales tax but they do pay payroll and SS taxes for their employees and at the end of the day, they do still obsess over budgets and try to keep costs down.

Even if tomorrow, colleges had to pay the same taxes as for profit institutions, nothing substantial would change. A few staff members would just get laid off and tuition would rise to compensate. The reason college is so expensive is because it's viewed as a "necessity," just like healthcare.
And the vast majority of those non-profits do make payments in lieu of taxes (PILOT) to cities and towns every year. Boston started asking schools and hospitals to PILOT in 2011. Quite a few of the schools that were asked to make the voluntary payments did contribute 100% that was requested with others contributing a significant amount:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...iuN/story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts