Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 07:56 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times

Advertisements

Lol, I have never heard 'two toilet Irish' before. I'm guessing this means irish people who could afford a home with two bathrooms? I always thought that was lace curtain

I always thought the arboretum was in JP? PArt of it is in rozzi?

HP does have some gross areas that look like a 3rd world country or something but the majority of it is pretty nice. Fairmount is basically in milton and has very quiet pretty streets. Stonybrook has a forest, and lots of places to walk. Then the George wright area is practically Roslindale and is very close w.rox too. But it doesn't have a nice town center and i guess that is unappealing. Cleary sq is very unattractive. It does have antonios bacacro which was recently on phantom gourmet...but it shocks me that there isnt a nice coffee shop or another enticing restaurant. I dont get it.

It doesn't need to gentrify but in some ways it does seem like Boston's forgotten step child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 07:12 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Technically and infrastructure wise the greater Boston are would be a good fit. That said, I doubt they will select the area as the high cost of living dictates high salaries so I believe they will pass on Boston as their labor costs will be high.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:01 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Why is Cleary Square gross??? That one doesn't ever make sense to me. I think HP wont gentrify because its not as destitute or desperate for improvement and in need of a cultural shift. People have enough control and comfortability in the neighborhood that it doesn't leave it open to gentrification like Roxbury

Old 09-18-2017, 12:17 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
What is appealing about cleary as? It has a bunch of hair and nail salons, barber shops, dollar stores, junky thrift shops. It has no attractions other than bacaro, fairmount grille and it seems some people like master McGrath. It needs more bars and restaurants

Old 09-19-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
What is appealing about cleary as? It has a bunch of hair and nail salons, barber shops, dollar stores, junky thrift shops. It has no attractions other than bacaro, fairmount grille and it seems some people like master McGrath. It needs more bars and restaurants
I can only think of Family dollar as a "thrift shop there" Theres a couple of boutique places for African/Carribean Fashion, River Grille, the every nice Rincon Caribeno (a very nice Dominican sit-down restauraunt), Bacaro's, A place to get bikes repaired, a computer repair shop, TrueValue Hardware, two banks, Ron's Ice Cream, a large and grand church, a smoke shop, Subway, a pizza joint, the Nigerian American Society, The Hyde Park Library, the YMCA, the Municipal Building...isn't that the type of shopping that is generally positive and supports the neighborhood? Isn't that what we want, they are boarder up theres not trash al over the place. The storefronts are generally well kept, and the area is walkable and served by multiple bus lines and a commuter rail line.

IMO its nearly perfect. Not too commercial, not too residential, not too busy, urban with a bit of suburban feel. Its not a crime to serve the middle class population that is already there.

You make it sound like it check cashing places, bail bondsmen, stores with WIC and EBT signs, abandoned storefronts, a welfare office, junkies, graffiti and corner store selling cigarillos everywhere. It is NONE of those things in fact its one of few places in Boston where you can hang out in the square and not run into junkies.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:38 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I can only think of Family dollar as a "thrift shop there" Theres a couple of boutique places for African/Carribean Fashion, River Grille, the every nice Rincon Caribeno (a very nice Dominican sit-down restauraunt), Bacaro's, A place to get bikes repaired, a computer repair shop, TrueValue Hardware, two banks, Ron's Ice Cream, a large and grand church, a smoke shop, Subway, a pizza joint, the Nigerian American Society, The Hyde Park Library, the YMCA, the Municipal Building...isn't that the type of shopping that is generally positive and supports the neighborhood? Isn't that what we want, they are boarder up theres not trash al over the place. The storefronts are generally well kept, and the area is walkable and served by multiple bus lines and a commuter rail line.

IMO its nearly perfect. Not too commercial, not too residential, not too busy, urban with a bit of suburban feel. Its not a crime to serve the middle class population that is already there.

You make it sound like it check cashing places, bail bondsmen, stores with WIC and EBT signs, abandoned storefronts, a welfare office, junkies, graffiti and corner store selling cigarillos everywhere. It is NONE of those things in fact its one of few places in Boston where you can hang out in the square and not run into junkies.
It's not "bad", but you can't say it has the cohesiveness and allure of a shady green like Rozzie Sq.. Between that and it's closer proximity to Forest Hills and JP, of course gentrification will come to the latter first.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:38 PM

Yea sure, but why would you want t gentrify a place that definitely doesn't need it. I'm not understanding why you would want that unless you're a realtor in the area, maybe a few homeowners. But just because it lacks a "shady green"?? I think its plenty cohesive. Proximity to Forest Hills and distance form Mattapan are the more valid reasons for its expense.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:56 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea sure, but why would you want t gentrify a place that definitely doesn't need it. I'm not understanding why you would want that unless you're a realtor in the area, maybe a few homeowners. But just because it lacks a "shady green"?? I think its plenty cohesive. Proximity to Forest Hills and distance form Mattapan are the more valid reasons for its expense.
It certainly doesn't need it, Boston and surrounding has more than enough "gentrified" areas to choose from as it is. I was just explaining why I thought it so far hit Rozzie and not HP.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:51 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It certainly doesn't need it, Boston and surrounding has more than enough "gentrified" areas to choose from as it is. I was just explaining why I thought it so far hit Rozzie and not HP.
I don't get it. Places don't choose to gentrify. They gentrify one real estate transaction at a time as higher income people who are priced out of other neighborhoods buy/rent their way in. They need to live somewhere they can get to work without a soul-crushing commute.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:06 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
It just baffles me that anyone who moves to the boston area only seems interested in living in the metrowest area or north of boston. South is rarely a consideration. It's made metrowest ridiculously expensive not to mention overpopulated. Not that the other areas are cheap and crowd free..
The suburban office parks are largely north and west of the city. People need to live where they can actually commute to their jobs. If you have a tech job on the 495 belt or Bedford/Burlington/Waltham, the South Shore is completely off your radar screen. The commuter rail there goes to South Station without passing through Back Bay station. The housing/relo market is for people walkable from South Station and maybe MGH / Kendall Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts