U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 7,022 times

Advertisements

my husband got a job offer in boston, and chances are we're taking it. i've lived in connecticut my whole life, so i don't really know where to start when it comes to choosing the next place we will live. i thought the good people here might have some pointers on where to start.

What we're looking for in terms of location: 1. less than 1 hour commute to husband's seaport job (train or ferry both fine) 2. less than 2hr40 minute drive to new haven, ct, where we have family (assuming low or no traffic)

what we're looking for in terms of neighborhood: generally speaking, a nice safe neighborhood where i wont feel nervous going out to my car late at night. a place our kids (now toddlers) can grow up, parks or beach within walking distance, a neighborhood with other young families Is practically a necessity, as i stay home full time and work from home part time. good school districts a plus but we are open to private schools as well. a diverse neighborhood would be a plus.

what we're looking for in terms of a house: 3br, 2 ba, updated, smallish (or biggish) yard, 500k or under

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 12:36 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,313,581 times
Marblehead

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Marblehead.../home/11767344

Old 09-19-2017, 12:46 PM

6,265 posts, read 8,135,027 times
Natick

Old 09-19-2017, 12:48 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,978,065 times
Plymouth?

Old 09-19-2017, 01:37 PM

8,410 posts, read 12,723,920 times
Yeah, maybe Plymouth.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:10 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,646,068 times
Swampscott

Old 09-19-2017, 02:16 PM

51 posts, read 55,548 times
Hull (south shore) checks off all your boxes. Especially if you are interested in being near the coast/beach and commuting by ferry.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM

3,176 posts, read 2,924,237 times
Somewhere along I-95 in Southeastern MA.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM

6 posts, read 7,022 times
Thanks all, lots of new (to me) towns being mentioned here that I will definitely look into.

Some other places we have come across:
Hingham (pricey but not completely out of our range?)
Weymouth (slightly more affordable)

How about Milton and Quincy? Prices seem all over the board there.

Also we haven't even started exploring beyond the south shore- but 84 seems to offer good travel times to CT.

Thank you!!

Old 09-19-2017, 04:35 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,883,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonanza View Post
Thanks all, lots of new (to me) towns being mentioned here that I will definitely look into.

Some other places we have come across:
Hingham (pricey but not completely out of our range?)
Weymouth (slightly more affordable)

How about Milton and Quincy? Prices seem all over the board there.

Also we haven't even started exploring beyond the south shore- but 84 seems to offer good travel times to CT.

Thank you!!
If you're looking at the south shore, i'd consider Milton a great buy. You may be able to find a condo or small home that needs updates. Milton always came off as an 'all-american' town with nice, older neighborhoods and nice proximity to the city.. That said, it does come with a price tag. Including academics and safety as top priorities along with parks and family friendly neighborhoods, I would also consider Hingham ($$$), Duxbury ($$$), Norwell ($$$), Braintree ($$-$$$), Scituate ($$), Hanover ($$), Marshfield ($$), or Plymouth ($-$$).

For west of the city, somebody mentioned Natick. It's a great suburb, but it's gotten wildly expensive. If you can find something in your budget, I'd highly recommend taking a look there. Other towns west/southwest to consider might be Sharon ($$) and Mansfield ($$). Others may also recommend Franklin and Foxborough as potential fits.

PS: I'm a metrowest/Merrimack Valley guy that frequents the north shore, so my familiarity with south/southwest is fairly limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts