Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:06 AM

23,485 posts, read 18,614,684 times

Advertisements

I see no advantage Fairmont has over the surrounding suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 07:43 AM

32 posts, read 24,094 times
Hard to know. Unfortunately at this point it's likely to be about 50/50 Boston-Cambridge.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I see no advantage Fairmont has over the surrounding suburbs.
Fairmount's a lovely area, but yeah, it's easier to commute into Boston from some suburbs than from there, even though it's part of Boston.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:20 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdmass View Post
OP here. Yes, I'm willing to be somewhat further out, and, thankfully, I would have a "reverse" commute -- going into Boston or Cambridge for evening or weekend activities maybe once or twice a week. I work out of my home. I just don't want to rip my hair out every time I jump on the road and try to drive in. I suppose everyone's tolerance for traffic or distance is different. I"m trying to figure out mine. FWIW, I allow 45-60 minutes just to drive or T-it from Brookline to Harvard Sq, since it's city driving and no really easy route. I suppose living off of 95/128 and driving for 45 minutes is about the same thing, LOL.
Working out of your home is half the battle won since you don't need to rely on a daily commuting headache My husband worked from home for years and always sang that verse. Mind you, he once commuted from Marshfield to Waltham and said "Never again" after that.

FTR we have family friends who've been in Natick for ages and have had little to no trouble commuting into Boston on the off-hours. We also have family down in the Marshfield area who take the commuter rail in from Scituate or the T from Braintree if they don't feel like driving all the way in. I think that's one way of narrowing down your choices: I know if I were planning on going into Boston every so often I'd want to be near some sort of mass transit on the chance that I didn't want to drive.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:30 AM

32 posts, read 24,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
Working out of your home is half the battle won since you don't need to rely on a daily commuting headache My husband worked from home for years and always sang that verse. Mind you, he once commuted from Marshfield to Waltham and said "Never again" after that.

FTR we have family friends who've been in Natick for ages and have had little to no trouble commuting into Boston on the off-hours. We also have family down in the Marshfield area who take the commuter rail in from Scituate or the T from Braintree if they don't feel like driving all the way in. I think that's one way of narrowing down your choices: I know if I were planning on going into Boston every so often I'd want to be near some sort of mass transit on the chance that I didn't want to drive.
Thanks for the perspective. Yes I agree, especially being near or accessible to the Red Line. I will look at Scituate.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:42 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,632,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Yeah. It kind of stinks, but the writing has been on the wall for a while. People like Timberline everywhere that aren't from here saying how the neighborhood "should" be.

OP. Have you ruled out the fairmont area of Hyde park? it's fairly nice for HP standards, and would sure be a lot better commute than Acton and some others listed.
Hyde Park has the same problem as Canton geographically speaking. Although it's Boston in boundaries, it is 10 or 12 miles from the hub. It's really just as far away from Cambridge and downtown Boston as some of the suburbs we've recommended to the OP. Fairmont is sort of an island surrounding by the highways and the railroad. It also does not fit the OPs requirements for a cultural, intellectual town. I can't imagine it's a wonderful place to be single if you haven't lived there all your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts