Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 15,294 times

Advertisements

You should look at Acton. But the commute to Lowell might be 30 minutes or so. But the commute would be the opposite direction of Boston. Acton always scores at or near the top in schools. It is a great, friendly and kid friendly town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 9,284 times
I'm sorry I can't help you as I am from Michigan. I'm new to this (or any forum) and am still learning the ropes. Could you look at my post titled rush hour. You responded to it and I had another question for you. I know you must be busy with moving and all. I understand!! Thanks, debra38

Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitziedog View Post
You should look at Acton. But the commute to Lowell might be 30 minutes or so. But the commute would be the opposite direction of Boston. Acton always scores at or near the top in schools. It is a great, friendly and kid friendly town.
blitziedog, does this work for her budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrhob06 View Post
I was originally looking at Haverhill because the price seemed right and several people have told me it's an okay place. However I am hearing more bad things about the schools and general safety issues. I am really stressing because I'm starting to wonder how people afford to live anywhere near Andover. Right now I pay 1000 for a 3 bedroom house, it's not in the best area but it's safe and the schools are great. I will get some pay increase for moving but not a whole lot and I'm thinking I probably can't afford to pay more that 1200.

Also, where is a good place to find rental listings? forrent.com and apartments.com were useless and while I found a few on Craig's list there weren't many.

Am I crazy to think I can do this and not endanger my kids safety or their education?
Quote:
Originally Posted by debra38 View Post
I'm sorry I can't help you as I am from Michigan. I'm new to this (or any forum) and am still learning the ropes. Could you look at my post titled rush hour. You responded to it and I had another question for you. I know you must be busy with moving and all. I understand!! Thanks, debra38
debra38, click on her username and send her a direct message

Old 04-20-2008, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,930 times
Thumbs up Amesbury is great

I know you probably have already visited MA, but in case you didn't, Amesbury is a great place to bring up your kids. The middle school was renovated within the last 8 years, and the high school is halfway through its renovations. I've been inside and the facilities are great! I graduated in 2001, so I never really got to reap the benefits asa student, but I did substitute teach in both schools for a couple years while I was finishing college. Also, the downtown has come alive in the last decades and it is a dining destination for many people in the surrounding towns. Finally, since both route 95 and 495 intersect in Amesbury, it's very easy to go anywhere - from Boston, to the NH beaches, to the White Mountains, to Maine. I've lived here for almost my entire life and I love what the town has become.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I second the suggestion for Acton. It's not hard to get to I-495 from Acton, and then on up to Andover. There's really no comparison between Haverhill and Acton, especially in the schools. I've often thought if I had kids, I'd find a way to squeeze into some apartment in Acton for that reason. It's a great town.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 AM

53 posts, read 177,734 times
Though I agree with the suggestions that Acton is a great town, I would urge caution - being an out-of-state single mom with elementary school aged kids, you might want somewhere that is pretty easy to get to in case you need to be at the school in a hurry. Acton, though technically very close to highways can be hard to get in and out of....

Um - why rule out Andover? I know the Royal Crest in Andover has 2 BRs in the 1100-1300 range - bargain with them, they maybe be open to giving you a cut if they have availability. Very good school district too. You might find some 3 BRs on Craigslist (post an ad).

You have probably already made a decision, but in case you haven't - Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 PM

44 posts, read 205,902 times
Thanks everyone for all your responses. I have visited Amesbury and maybe I wasn't in the right place but it seemed a little out of the way and I didn't see much out there. It was originally on the top of my list, maybe I need to try again. I've had Acton mentioned to me before, but after visiting I'm not sure it's for me. As far as Andover I've checked several places, none I can afford. Right now I'm kind of torn between Wakefield, Reading and Manchester. I hope to make another trip soon before I make my final decision.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM

15 posts, read 105,414 times
Manchester and Reading are good. Wenham and Hamilton I hear are really nice also. I hear Acton has really good schools.. Ask your realtor for a relocation book with all the towns etc...maybe that will help. Greatschools.com, might be helpful? Good luck.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 AM

53 posts, read 177,734 times
Hi - just another suggestion. Try Chelmsford. Its a pretty good school district, and not as pricey as some of the other towns mentioned.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 51,298 times
What if you tried Salem, NH or the border towns. I work with a few people who live in NH and commute all the way to boston because housing and schools are better. I know it sounds crazy to live in one state and work in another but NH is right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts