U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 04:15 PM

8,262 posts, read 12,469,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
No, people in Marblehead would definitely argue otherwise.

My vote would probably be Chatham. But there are ten or so that could make a strong argument.
I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the Cape. Chatham would be a good example.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 04:43 PM

1,438 posts, read 2,274,474 times
Marblehead is a very real seaside town in the sense that it is onli 5% seasonal and has very few lodging options. The people who live here are the ones on the beaches and in harbor, not vacationers or second home owners creating a characature of what they thing a seaside town should be like. Ipswich and Essex retain that feel in many ways as well.

I was worried when I moved here but you hardly notice an uptick in traffic during the summer. October is much more isolating with all the Salem events

Old 11-07-2017, 06:43 AM

17,528 posts, read 9,797,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
No, people in Marblehead would definitely argue otherwise.

My vote would probably be Chatham. But there are ten or so that could make a strong argument.
It depends on your metrics. I live in a coastal village so I don't have the tourist view. If you live in the town, tourist shopping isn't a particularly important metric. I pretty much never go in the galleries other than to get gouged framing something once in a while. I buy my Nantucket reds and Top Sider classic browns online, not in some expensive boutique in the village. Boston access probably isn't an important metric for a lot of people. It's not like I'd want to pick sitting on commuter rail 2 hours 12 minutes per day 5 days per week between Newburyport and North Station plus the other hour+ per day door-to-door between my house and the office for a high quality of life. I telecommute. I just need a good broadband connection from the evil Comcast and that's every Massachusetts coastal town.

I sail. Newburyport is lousy. There is nowhere to go. Isle of Shoals is pretty much it. The harbor is kind of ugly compared to 30 other places in Massachusetts where sitting on the mooring is a very pleasant experience. I swim. Unless you're in a wet suit, that's not Newburyport other than a few weeks in the summer when it's blazing hot and a storm hasn't churned the warm surface layer up. I bicycle. I've ridden around Newburyport a few times. It's OK but there's a lot better.

I will say that Newburyport has good Logan Airport access compared to anything south of Boston. A business trip starting from Chatham is kind of ugly.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:10 AM

9,311 posts, read 17,357,479 times
If a commute to Boston wasn't on the table, Provincetown would be my number one pick for a seaside town. It's definitely busier than Chatham, Rockport, or Newburyport in the peak tourist season. But if I lived there and didn't have to drive on Commercial street at peak times, it wouldn't matter. There are great restaurants, good shopping, and an incredibly active downtown area. There's a beach right in the center of town, and a world-class beach just outside of the center of town (Race Point/National Seashore). It's gorgeous, and not too sleepy (even in the winter). Rockport is the only other town in MA that I think rivals P-Town in terms of setting and natural beauty. But I think Rockport is a little too sleepy/touristy (which I get that some people like). Provincetown is more fun and active.

But as far as "quintessential" New England seaside towns go, I think a number of places beat Newburyport. Rockport, Chatham, P-Town, Woods Hole, Nantucket, Oak Bluffs, Edgartown, Vineyard Haven, Plymouth (better situated on the ocean, better waterfront), Scituate, Cohasset, and Manchester-by-the-Sea all jump out to me as more "quintessential. NBPT has a more robust and active downtown than most of these, but I still don't necessarily think that makes it more quintessential. If anything, Newburyport has more in common with Portsmouth, NH and many coastal ME towns (Portland, Bath, Rockland, Camden, Belfast, etc.) given all of the brick Federalist architecture and the "coastal" location that's actually tucked on a river mouth or buried deep in a bay. That's certainly not a knock on Newburyport (those ME and NH towns are great company), but it's not Quintessential Massachusetts.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:27 AM

1,083 posts, read 529,145 times
Good observation about the architecture, Irfox.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM

12,241 posts, read 9,573,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
But as far as "quintessential" New England seaside towns go, I think a number of places beat Newburyport. Rockport, Chatham, P-Town, Woods Hole, Nantucket, Oak Bluffs, Edgartown, Vineyard Haven, Plymouth (better situated on the ocean, better waterfront), Scituate, Cohasset, and Manchester-by-the-Sea all jump out to me as more "quintessential. NBPT has a more robust and active downtown than most of these, but I still don't necessarily think that makes it more quintessential. If anything, Newburyport has more in common with Portsmouth, NH and many coastal ME towns (Portland, Bath, Rockland, Camden, Belfast, etc.) given all of the brick Federalist architecture and the "coastal" location that's actually tucked on a river mouth or buried deep in a bay. That's certainly not a knock on Newburyport (those ME and NH towns are great company), but it's not Quintessential Massachusetts.
I was going to say Plymouth but parts of it are just well, dirty; so that sort of detracts from the "quintessential" part of things.

I second Edgartown, Chatham, and also Vineyard Haven and Woods Hole. And for a real sleepy gem of a town, Marion is often overlooked.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:41 PM

726 posts, read 459,177 times
Don't forget Concord.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:56 PM

1,229 posts, read 621,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Don't forget Concord.
Yeah, Concord harbor is beautiful, the beach too.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:15 PM

4,206 posts, read 5,234,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Yeah, Concord harbor is beautiful, the beach too.
I hear the Wayland Yacht Club is nice.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:45 PM

1,229 posts, read 621,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I hear the Wayland Yacht Club is nice.
I'm more inclined to the Dudley Chateau, it is on the water though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or