U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:51 AM

8,373 posts, read 12,666,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I hear the Wayland Yacht Club is nice.
Sherborn has a Yacht Club - seriously.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 AM

738 posts, read 482,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Yeah, Concord harbor is beautiful, the beach too.
Oops, my bad...skipped over the coastal part. But Concord is a quintessential New England town in every other way, IMO.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:49 PM

79 posts, read 89,016 times
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Some very interesting thoughts and opinions from a well informed bunch!

Old 11-09-2017, 04:18 PM

4,116 posts, read 1,875,572 times
I live there, so obviously my choice on the North Shore. Almost all the North Shore towns are nice. I like Newburyport because it's a little further out from Boston, and the water gets cleaner, the housing less dense, and the vibe more laid back. There is ample public access to the harbor and the beach, two beautiful parks, and a lot going on for a small city.

I like to visit coastal Maine a lot - to my eye the prettiest state in the union. But when I come home, I often think Newburyport isn't so different. In fact, my physical therapist asked me last week why I am looking into a vacation home in Camden/Rockport, ME. He said "You're already in Newburyport, isn't it pretty much the same thing?" :-).

The drive is certainly a downside, but better than the latitude might indicate, due to the handy access to I-95, and in general, the infrastructure is pretty good there for such a small city, with a decent hospital, plenty of healthcare providers, a train station, I-95 exit in town, and a major bus terminal. So although you're well outside Boston, you have most everything you really need, and I don't feel like I am out in the weeds.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:48 PM

14,900 posts, read 4,433,191 times
Scituate deserves some consideration, not touristy, last stop on the commuter rail.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 AM

501 posts, read 483,648 times
I would be hard pressed to pick the most quintessential coastal town in Massachusetts. There are so many that are so beautiful. Newburyport is very beautiful, with a bustling downtown full of historic buildings. It is a bit touristy, but I love going up there.

Some others that have been mentioned in this thread, but definitely worthy of the label:
Manchester (MA), is a true coastal village, much smaller than Newburyport, but so picturesque.
Marblehead is one of my favorites. The streets of Old Town are so windy and narrow, dotted with antique homes and little nooks where small beaches lie hidden.
Essex is a stunning fishing village. 133 has beautiful marsh views of the Essex River and the town is pretty sleepy apart from Woodmans, and a few other restaurants.
Gloucester is very beautiful as well. Certainly not as quaint, but you would be hard pressed to find beaches comparable to Wingaersheek or Good Harbor. Not to mention the amazing views on the Back Shore, Eastern Point, Rocky Neck, Annisquam (I could list several other places here, I think you get the point).
Rockport is the home of one of the most photographed and painted views "Motif #1." I guess it goes without saying that it is a quintessential coastal town.
And these are just some examples on the North Shore. The Cape and the S. Shore has more incredibly quaint and beautiful towns. I couldn't do them justice by describing them.
OP, why were you asking? Are you thinking of moving to Newburyport, or just curious to get the local opinion?

Old 11-10-2017, 08:44 AM

18,252 posts, read 10,284,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And for a real sleepy gem of a town, Marion is often overlooked.
Westport Point, Padanaram, and Mattapoisett, too. When they're not commutable to the metro-Boston jobs, they're pretty much invisible here. There are no hotels or quaint coastal inns and you have to live there to get beach/harbor access so they're off the radar screen as tourist destinations.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:01 AM

9,617 posts, read 17,613,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Westport Point, Padanaram, and Mattapoisett, too. When they're not commutable to the metro-Boston jobs, they're pretty much invisible here. There are no hotels or quaint coastal inns and you have to live there to get beach/harbor access so they're off the radar screen as tourist destinations.
Agreed on all counts about the towns being off the radar, but Mattapoisett does have a couple of little inns right in the village (Inn on Shipyard Park, and the Mattapoisett Inn). You can also access many of Mattapoisett's beaches for free as a non-resident. My ex grew up there and we bought shellfishing permits (non-resident) every year and went to a few different beaches which were open to anyone/everyone for free.

Westport Point also has the Paquachuck and Horseneck Beach is very much open to the public. If you stay there with a kayak, you've got the whole river (including Boater's Beach which is right there). If you wanted to walk/bike you could easily access Cherry and Webb too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts