Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 08:00 AM

67 posts, read 119,083 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I trust that your Thanksgiving was enjoyable.

I’m looking for some accommodations for Cape Cod. I’m trying to arrange things for my family’s August 2018 vacation. I need to rent two villas for at least 15people (6 of them are little children ages 3-12).

Falmouth, Mashpee or Barnstable would be the ideal places for us to stay (depending onthe number of restaurants and activities).
I’m hoping to find either 3 or 4 bedroom places with a minimum 2 bathrooms. Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance for your input.

Warm regards,

Last edited by violamr; 11-28-2017 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: words running together. looks funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 08:20 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Your best bet may be the website for Homeaway.
Most rentals on Cape can be found on there.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:37 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
I concur with Cape Cod Todd Home Away is the better choice to find rentals for any length of stay.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:44 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Actually, I would wager the majority of Cape Cod rentals are actually listed thru Web sites that specialize in Cape Cod & the Islands and are not on Homeaway, VRBO, etc.

For example...

https://www.weneedavacation.com/

https://www.capecodrentals.com/

Cape Cod Rentals | Cape Cod Summer Rentals

Cape Cod Vacation Rentals | Cape Cod Oceanview Realty

Cape Cod Vacation Rentals | Martha Murray Vacation Rentals

Old 11-30-2017, 01:38 PM

Thank you.

I reviewed the sites.
I'm loving what I'm seeing.
Unfortunately though, I have a few problems.
I need to rent two properties.
1) How can I make sure that the properties are close in proximity since I don't know the area?
2)I have been looking at Harwick, Chatham, Falmouth and Mashpee . . . how doI find out the best, beaches and neighborhoods for my family. We are not into loud, rowdiness. Many small children in my family.
3)We also need to be near a supermarket, Wal-Mart or Target.

Thank you in advance,

Last edited by violamr; 11-30-2017 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: HTML editing

Old 11-30-2017, 02:55 PM

169 posts, read 182,192 times
I believe there is only 1 Target and 1 Walmart on the Cape. Walmart is in Falmouth and Target is in Hyannis.

Your best bet is to go through a Cape realtor. In Mashpee you should look at the Popponnesset/New Seabury area on the south side of Mashpee. Lots of quaint cottages: in New Seabury you could look at Maushop Village or anything in Popponnesset. Try the following realtor - they may be able to find houses next door to one another or on the same street or a street or two away. It is a small area so even if you are not next to one another you will be in close proximity to walk or ride a bike from one house to the other. And you should be contacting them soon they get a lot of repeat business.

The Popponnesset Marketplace has some boutique type shops, an ice cream place, a coffee shop, candy store and a general store that has a very limited grocery and wine section - expensive but ok if you are desparate. The Marketplace also has summer concerts every Fri-Sun nights during the summer. And the Raw Bar has a famous lobstah roll!

For other shopping, 10 minutes up the road at the Mashpee Rotary there is a Roche Brothers Supermarket, Stop and Shop Supermarket, liquor stores, also sorts of other shops and restaurants and a bowling alley and movie theater - good options if it rains.

I grew up spending my summers there and it was a great place for kids. Bring some fishing poles and have the kids fish for the snapping turtle in Dean's Pond = he is legendary!

Try this realtor
Cape Cod Vacation Rentals - New Seabury | Sotheby's International Realty - Mashpee, MA

And back to Target and Walmart- you can get to Target in about 35 minutes from Mashpee and to Walmart in about 20 minutes.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:50 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
There is no Target on Cape. There is Walmart in Falmouth and K-Mart in Hyannis. Who knows how long K-Mart will be around though. Call a realtor and focus on Falmouth. It has everything you want/need including warm water beaches for the little ones. Main Street is bustling with mom and pop shops and restaurants. Woods Hole is a great spot to spend an afternoon if you need a break from the beach. The aquarium is a fun take and there are lots of educational activities throughout the summer. You would also be close to the ferry terminals if anyone wanted to hop over to the Vineyard for a day.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:44 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violamr View Post
I need to rent two properties.
Why do you need to rent two houses? That's a difficult proposition. Why not just rent one large house for everyone? On a bi-annual basis I do a Cape vacation with a few other families. There's probably close to 20 people in our group at this point and we've always been able to find a roof all of us can fit under.

Quote:
1) How can I make sure that the properties are close in proximity since I don't know the area?
Simple! Get the address and use Google Maps. Again, finding two houses in close proximity will not be easy.

Quote:
3)We also need to be near a supermarket, Wal-Mart or Target.
It seems people are getting hung up on the fact that you've asked to be near a Wal-Mart or Target. Are you OK if you're just near a supermarket? Do you really need a ton of shopping available to you? What is it that you think you'll need to buy? Keep in mind there are plenty of people in each town that live there all year long. So, there are places to shop all over the Cape. Generally speaking the closer you are to the bridge, the more developed the towns tend to be. Hyannis has a mall for example, Mashpee has a ton of shopping, etc. That's not to say that Provincetown (the furthest town on the Cape from the bridges) is farm country. You just generally don't find any large stores there.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:17 AM

Oh my goodness! Thank you all so very much for this information.
I love your feedback and willingness to help me out!
If this is the type of greeting that my family and I will get when we visit, I feel at home already.
You all are awesome!

MikePRU, your idea sounds wonderful. I don't think my family will be opposed to a much larger place.
I am thinking that I need to be near shopping for the young folks in my family, especially my nieces. lol
Also, as the organizer, I want to purchase food and paper plates, etc. for the house. We intend to cook most of our meals (dinner) and save money. Perhaps hot dogs and burgers for the children. They tend to waste food so, I want to keep snacks in the house.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:40 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
It seems people are getting hung up on the fact that you've asked to be near a Wal-Mart or Target. Are you OK if you're just near a supermarket? Do you really need a ton of shopping available to you? What is it that you think you'll need to buy? Keep in mind there are plenty of people in each town that live there all year long. So, there are places to shop all over the Cape. Generally speaking the closer you are to the bridge, the more developed the towns tend to be. Hyannis has a mall for example, Mashpee has a ton of shopping, etc. That's not to say that Provincetown (the furthest town on the Cape from the bridges) is farm country. You just generally don't find any large stores there.
I don't think it's hung up. Someone asks for something and you answer the question. The OP asked for Walmart or Target.

The Mashpee Commons and Walmart shoppers have money that is just as green as those who like to frequent the mom and pops. All are welcome. Just trying to give them what they want.

That said, it never ceases to amaze me how many people who I have met that get upset about not having quick access to big box stores, fast food, chain restaurants and a Dunkin Donuts on every corner. They are the same people who like the manufactured village of Mashpee Commons over the real, often historic town center villages of the Cape. They have a comfort zone and they want to stay within it.

To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts