U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 06:51 PM
miu

15,462 posts, read 32,328,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
In that alphabet soup of acronyms, all I got was that your car was on LSD. Hugs, not drugs.
LSD=Limited Slip Differential... remember that wonderful movie My Cousin Vinny? The car with Posi-traction? Anyway, in slick situations, both drive tires grip immediately upon engagement. No lag time.

JDM is an acronym for Japanese Domestic Market. And some of the Hondas sold there had accessories that weren't offered on the US market cars. Like having viscous LSDs in their transmissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 07:06 PM

15,921 posts, read 24,281,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
LSD=Limited Slip Differential... remember that wonderful movie My Cousin Vinny? The car with Posi-traction? Anyway, in slick situations, both drive tires grip immediately upon engagement. No lag time.

JDM is an acronym for Japanese Domestic Market. And some of the Hondas sold there had accessories that weren't offered on the US market cars. Like having viscous LSDs in their transmissions.
Great info to have! Thank you!

Old 12-26-2017, 07:42 PM

6,133 posts, read 6,086,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Haha, I meant front-wheel drive Apparently in my mind it's a sports car!
Whatever floats your boat!

Old 12-26-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
90% of snow traction is based on what tires you use. It's much more important then what car you're driving.
And weight distribution as well. My little 2wd PU with studded tires (and 3 60 lb sand bags over the rear wheels) just passes as "driveable" in the snow.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:48 PM

1,539 posts, read 766,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And weight distribution as well. My little 2wd PU with studded tires (and 3 60 lb sand bags over the rear wheels) just passes as "driveable" in the snow.
FWD cars with good tires do good in the snow. RWD pickups are pretty bad, probably the worst car for the snow you can get.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:29 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,059,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
As for storage of winter tires when you don't have the space, I'm not sure if it's a Canadian thing or not, but many tire shops here will store them for you for something like $40 for the season.
Town Fair does if you buy snows there.

Best snow car I presently have?
Miata with M&S tires

Best snow car I've ever had?
280zx with M&S tires. Great car running through the sierras.

Worst snow car I've ever had?
Tie: AWD 300 hp Eclipse with summer tires. Or Stock WRX with summer tires.
Far worse than any FWD car with all seasons.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:41 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,059,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
My dad bought one of the very first Porsche Cayennes delivered in New England. I remember he got it with the sport package which included high performance summer tires. He didn't pay much attention to that. He just assumed, it's an SUV. It has AWD. It must be good in the snow. First snow of the year and he skidded through every red light he saw. Almost got in a huge accident on multiple occasions that day.
LOL.
The standard tire Ford puts on the Focus ST and Fiesta ST are summer tires. I picked up my Fiesta ST from Imperial in Mendon fresh off the boat from Mexico - I bought it while it was on the boat. In January 2015.

They smartly ordered it with the free factory option of all seasons

Old 12-27-2017, 07:30 AM

443 posts, read 212,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell10201 View Post
I MUST go to work in the snow, regardless. In fact, I usually have to go in during the storm.
Quote:
I am definitely NOT going to purchase snow tires
This thread has become beat to death a bit. However I do hope you understand that these statements are in direct conflict. Best of luck.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:09 AM

7,990 posts, read 7,836,575 times
My Infiniti G35x AWD I used to own was a beast in the snow. I drove that thing 9 winters and could not get it stuck. I frequently drive it through snow deeper than it's own bumper and it kept going. Often found myself alone on the roads when everything else was a 4WD truck. It would just plow through every type of snow with ease.

Tires make the biggest difference, but I ran that car with all-seasons (Continental DWS 06) and never felt the need to get snow tires. I understand they make a huge difference in braking and turning, but I still felt confident even with all-seasons and the convenience factor of not needing to change tires or wheels was huge for me at the time. I drove that car through blizzards and nor'easters and it would just keep trucking through. I'm a huge fan of Nissan's ATTESA AWD system. Flip the switch on the dash and it's basically a full-time 4WD system. Turn it off and even though it was predominately RWD (25% front/75rear up to 50/50), it still handled the snow perfectly with all-seasons

This is my first winter in a FWD car ('14 Taurus limited), and I hate it. While I can get around, it's just not the same as AWD. The tires on this car are just too wide (255 width) and the car slides a lot. There's also different vehicle dynamics in a turn when you drive AWD vs FWD in the snow. For instance, if I'm turning in a FWD and add a little throttle, the car just understeers and plows straight. In my old AWD car, a little throttle in a turn would actually help the nose of the car come around a bit.

I grew up driving RWD Mustang's with a mix of summer, all-season and snow tires. Fun times.

Quote:
Also, I love my Hyundai Tucson, but it just has poor performance in the snow. (and yes, the tires are new-ish with good tread)

What tires are on the car now?

OEM tires appear to be Kumho Solus KL21. Just scanning tirerack, and I can see they are poorly rated for snow traction. Actually..they are poorly rated in general

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews

Last edited by BostonMike7; 12-28-2017 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-28-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
RWD pickups are pretty bad, probably the worst car for the snow you can get.
Between them and sports cars, it's tough to say. Mustangs, 350Zs, etc. can be horrendous as well. I once drove a V8 Cougar and it was a nightmare to drive, too much direct power to the rear wheels and the vehicle was was just so front heavy. At least in my truck (which is also a stick shift), I feel like I have a little more control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or