Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:57 PM

13 posts, read 9,859 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the all valuable insight.Will close it before 28th feb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
My mother works at Burlington schools. It's probably one of the best funded systems in the state. It's teacher to student ratio is low, the teachers are some of the best paid in the region and the district implements more technology then most competing districts.

Yes it's more diverse soci economally compared to some other area districts. Also more esl and international students compared to other suburban districts. Those sites like greatschools that only looks at test scores may rate it lower because the esl and poorer students bring the average down, but it is definitely a great school district.
Thanks.Will keep this in mind before making the descision

Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita.Prasanna View Post
Burlington school rating is not good in Greatschool.org.Thanks
As others noted, you have to look beyond a single rating. Burlington has solid school system. It's not gold plated like Lexington but it doesn't have the pressure that Lexington has. The schools are technologically advanced with a 1:1 iPad/Chromebook policy and heavy use of technology. If you are an involved parent, your child should do well.

For what it's worth, Burlington has about a 13% Asian and Indian subcontinent population - one of the largest in the state.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:51 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As others noted, you have to look beyond a single rating. Burlington has solid school system. It's not gold plated like Lexington but it doesn't have the pressure that Lexington has. The schools are technologically advanced with a 1:1 iPad/Chromebook policy and heavy use of technology. If you are an involved parent, your child should do well.

For what it's worth, Burlington has about a 13% Asian and Indian subcontinent population - one of the largest in the state.
Agree--this is the first time I've seen Burlington schools bad-mouthed on this forum! They are more than fine from everything I hear. The very fact that it has attracted a lot of Asian Indian immigrants--who place a high value on education--speaks for itself.

OP--if you can afford and like an apt in Burlington, I wouldn't look any further. You will be thanking your lucky stars for the short commute, as well as the wealth of shopping amenities all around.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Agree--this is the first time I've seen Burlington schools bad-mouthed on this forum! They are more than fine from everything I hear. The very fact that it has attracted a lot of Asian Indian immigrants--who place a high value on education--speaks for itself.

OP--if you can afford and like an apt in Burlington, I wouldn't look any further. You will be thanking your lucky stars for the short commute, as well as the wealth of shopping amenities all around.
I will be happy to close it in Burlington, but not fully convinced yet.If nothing works out will go to Andover.

https://www.greatschools.org/massach...Middle-School/

Rating of 4

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/MA/s...29/school.aspx

Two Stars with average standard score of 46%

Till elementary school all the ratings are good the moment you look for Middle school it drops.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:58 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
I will be happy to close it in Burlington, but not fully convinced yet.If nothing works out will go to Andover.

Rating of 4

Till elementary school all the ratings are good the moment you look for Middle school it drops.
It's a funny thing about the middle school in Burlington. Middle school is a lot more than simply a test score. They get children at age 10 or 11 and deal with them for some of the toughest 3 years of their lives. As a resident, I found it to be a great experience for my kids. If you follow the town Facebook page, it goes back and forth as to whether it was a good experience for other people's kids.

If it's any comfort, their administration of the middle school is retiring at the end of the school year - Principal, Team Leader (she's really in charge), and head guidance counselor - who have been in place for close to 40 years. The building was renovated and expanded 4 years ago so it's a great facility.

Only you can decide what's best for your child. We were happy there and my kids as well as many of their peers went on to top colleges (Northwestern, Tufts, Brown, Columbia, Air Force Academy, VA Tech, et al.)

Old 02-21-2018, 06:11 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

Rating of 4

That happens in loads of school systems, including the best.

But seriously, you want the best of the best schools on a modest budget? Not happening.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:37 AM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Why Andover? I mean, I very often recommend it to folks as I love the town. But why not include Acton/Westford? If school rankings are important, Westford and Acton are going to be top candidates regardless of budget. And Westford has good access to Burlington through Carlisle or down Rt 3.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Why Andover? I mean, I very often recommend it to folks as I love the town. But why not include Acton/Westford? If school rankings are important, Westford and Acton are going to be top candidates regardless of budget. And Westford has good access to Burlington through Carlisle or down Rt 3.
Found some apartment in lexington with one month free in Captain parker arms.2 br comes to 2100 & 1BR comes to 1700$.

Let me check acton and westford too.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
westford is 18miles from Burlington, will i be able to drive.Oh god so much of confusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts