Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:14 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

I think he's trying to make a buck off you to be honest. There are some sketchy people out there and I wouldn't put it past the guy to try and make a few bucks.

Did you actually hit him while moving, or were you stopped and he hit you? If you think he hit you, I'd stick to that in the claim and don't second guess yourself. Without a police report, or witnesses, it's really your word against his.

My father had the same thing happened to him. The other guy said to just go through insurance and so he did. The other guy then claimed my father hit him (he actually backed into my father at the pump for the same reason) and in the end, it was deemed 50/50%. Damage was just a light scuff on the bumper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 02:54 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
Ugh, I am sorry you have to deal with this. If you were parked, I wouldn't accept the blame. Try to find out if there was a camera on and ask to see the footage. Something like this happened to us, my husband was parked in a gas station parking lot when a guy side swiped him. My husband was on his way to the airport to come and get me there, so he trusted the guys word when he admitted that HE was at fault and they exchanged insurance info. Later he changed his story and claimed that my husband hit him! It took quite some time to get the gas station to show the tape, where it clearly showed our car parked and the guy hitting our car. The moral of the story is that I would always call the police now. I don't trust anyone when it comes to stuff like this, people LIE.

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
, my husband was parked in a gas station parking lot when a guy side swiped him. My husband was on his way to the airport to come and get me there, so he trusted the guys word when he admitted that HE was at fault and they exchanged insurance info.
E.
Best to call the police. Some states/towns require one to call police. A police report comes in handy.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:19 PM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
It's too late to call them, but you can go to the local police station where it happened and file a report.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 PM

12 posts, read 7,438 times
Thanks for all the advice. I went to the gas station and the manager viewed the video with me and it doesn't show what happened. There is other cameras above the pumps, but facing on the pumps and the mgr said he can't view those. Anyway, I asked the other driver to send me a photo of his license as he never gave it to me, so I don't even know his last name or address! Also, the estimate had a ladies name and I asked who she was and he said that he was on her ins policy. I drove by the address today with my brother and the car was on the street, so we took some photos. There is a missing fog light, which wasn't at the scene and I know this incident didn't cause any damage as it doesn't even line up. I'm pretty positive it was previous damage that he is hoping that I will pay for. Truth be told, I just hate to have a claim in and it's a he said/she said situation. But, I don't think he being truthful, I don't even know for sure who owns the car. Obviously the owner would have to sign a release anyway. Tonight he send me a text and said if I don't pay tomorrow, he will file a claim. But yet he won't even give me his information and I still don't know the actual owner - just guessing its the lady on the estimate. Ugh what a nightmare.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 PM

BostonMike - Did the gas station give video for your Dad? I went to the gas station today and thankfully the manager let me view the tape with him but you could see where we were parked, only after the fact you see e pulling forward.
I totally know he is trying to just make some money off me, I don't think he even works, as he seems available everyday. I was thinking about telling him to meet me at the police station to fill out a report, as he refused to send me a photo of his license so I only know his first name if that even correct. I drove by the address that was on his estimate and I seen him down the street from the actual address, he appears to be a young street kid. Not that it matters, although I think I'm a little afraid of him!

Old 01-19-2018, 03:16 AM

1,199 posts, read 638,675 times
If you pay, don’t pay cash. Always leave a paper trail.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:43 AM

95 posts, read 69,720 times
If you truly were at a complete stop then you would not be at fault. If you were backing then you would be at fault, doesn't matter how close he stopped to you. If there is a significant amount of damage to his car and none to yours you may be better off to use insurance. There is a chance that he could be trying to get you to give him some money for pre-existing damage. If conflicting stories and then it could likely end up being settled 50/50 especially since you admit to contact being made one was or another.

Further, if you are to pay, use a check so you can prove payment was made, you can have a release signed if it would make you feel better. Also, if the car does not belong to the person who is demanding money from you, then don't pay him, as it is not his property, even if he is on the insurance or not. I doubt he is going to show you a copy of the policy to show that, and he would have to show he is acting on behalf of the owner in settling this loss for that to hold up anyway.

Honestly sounds like someone just trying to make a buck and got an inflated estimate. You can always tell them to meet you at another shop and be present while they come up with an estimate. Either way, if you decide to pay, I suggest you use a check, and write it out to whoever's name is on the registration, not the driver.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:02 AM

4,626 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonlady2 View Post
He sent me an estimate for 1000K and wants me to pay.
One million is WAY too much!

Refuse to pay. If he really wants money, he can file a claim against your insurance. Then it's your word against his. Insurance companies are in the business of not paying claims if they aren't valid

Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 AM

Haha that was my nerves! I meant 1K
If he would be more honest about his information etc, I would offer to pay half to make him go away!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts