Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,719 times

Advertisements

Massachusetts 2017 1099 k paypal / ebay... MA has a long history of illegal bullying thru tax collection tactics. MA sent state police into NH to follow MA residents buying stuff in NH... NH found out, kicked MA state cops out. Ive personally seen several attempts of nazi tax dept try to bully flea market owners & vendors to do their bidding far past what the law actually demands. Now MA will lose a lot of revenue as bullied ebayers etc... move their online operation out of state. I suggest NH, yes theres lots of brainwashed Rs there, but they do NOT like to be bullied by the state, will vote accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 07:36 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Soon they're gonna stop every car on 93 in Methuen or Route 3 in Tyngsboro and search them for merchandise purchased in New Hampshire.
The Dukakis administration had state troopers on the border looking for vehicles that made large purchases in New Hampshire. Say you bought a large appliance and were bringing it back in your pick-up.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:37 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

But tracking my everyday daily purchases and saving receipts in case I decide to sell my dishrack on Ebay in 5 years for $10 it is a little extreme.

Sure, but $10 and $600 are pretty far from each other. I don't like this, it seems petty. I sell a fair amount of records (thousand of dollars a year), and I spend more on them than I bring in, so its a pain. But, so be it. I just have to be diligent about my documentation. The state does need to bring in revenue. Heck, a large number of the workers are working without a contract and the Gov isn't negotiating, he offered something like an insulting 0.5% raise, so effectively, a significant real dollar pay cut.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:42 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times
I sold only personal items on Ebay... for example, a couple of years ago I purchased a coat for $250, but then lost weight and it was too big on me, only worn once or twice. Sold it for $100. Did I save a receipt, no!!!
Also many years, in the 80's!!!, ago I purchased an artist made doll for my collection, for $150. Now am downsizing and sold it for $40 on Ebay. This is an example of the stuff I sold on Ebay this year. I made a loss on each one, but have no receipts. The stuff I sold was easily for half (often just 25%) or less than original price
I will be sure to not sell more than $600 on Ebay this year and then I am done with it.

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-06-2018, 07:43 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I sold only personal items on Ebay... for example, a couple of years ago I purchased a coat for $250, but then lost weight and it was too big on me, only worn once or twice. Sold it for $100. Did I save a receipt, no!!!
Also many years, in the 80's!!!, ago I purchased an artist made doll for my collection, for $150. Now am downsizing and sold it for $40 on Ebay. This is an example of the stuff I sold on Ebay this year. I made a loss on each one, but have no receipts.
I wil be sure to not sell more than $600 on Ebay this year and then I am done with it.

You should be able to find your paypal records.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 AM

515 posts, read 553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, but $10 and $600 are pretty far from each other. I don't like this, it seems petty. I sell a fair amount of records (thousand of dollars a year), and I spend more on them than I bring in, so its a pain. But, so be it. I just have to be diligent about my documentation. The state does need to bring in revenue. Heck, a large number of the workers are working without a contract and the Gov isn't negotiating, he offered something like an insulting 0.5% raise, so effectively, a significant real dollar pay cut.
But this year you can't be diligent about keeping records, because we had no notice. I have over $600 in Ebay returns, I buy everything from Ebay, shoes, Tv etc. Sometimes items need to be returned. This 1099k includes them. This 1099k is not income, just all your positive Paypal transactions.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 AM

515 posts, read 553,448 times
Quote:
You should be able to find your paypal records.

I just printed all my Paypal transactions for 2017 choosing detail. The problem is the deposits don't state what the item is that was sold. So far I only seem to be able to see back 60 days past on Ebay.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:56 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Quote:

I agree with you that moving forward, should be fairly easy to document. I could keep a spreadsheet pretty easily and pick and choose what items I list vs sell via local FB/Craigslist sales.

It's the whole "change the rule in November and apply it back to last Jan" that makes it tough to go back and document. It's even more befuddled by the fact that Ebay seems to delete history beyond 60 days, and paypay doesn't detail out sales beyond 90 days, so I'm having a hard time even tracking what I sold.

Had they said , "Starting in 2018..." I could print out a monthly invoice and retain.

What's worse is that a lot of my items are in fact $20 here, $30 there. No collectables really, just all clearing out the garage type of items.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon25 View Post
I just printed all my Paypal transactions for 2017 choosing detail. The problem is the deposits don't state what the item is that was sold. So far I only seem to be able to see back 60 days past on Ebay.

That's the problem I am having as well. Everything from Jan - Nov is pretty much lost.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:59 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The Dukakis administration had state troopers on the border looking for vehicles that made large purchases in New Hampshire. Say you bought a large appliance and were bringing it back in your pick-up.
It was a gift from my aunt in Nashua
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts