Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:21 PM

3,213 posts, read 2,120,946 times

Advertisements

There are so many things that i smell every day that i don't like. there are people blasting music out of their cars. there is bus diesel fumes. why does MJ offend you more than these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 12:26 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Do you have liquor stores in your town? If so, I would hope they would allow one of these.
Agree 100%. I don't smoke... anything... and I have maybe 2 glasses of hard cider a month, so don't drink much... but if we are going to have liquor stores in every town, why not sell pot. People will just go to the neighboring town which allows it and get it there...

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-09-2018, 12:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
Seriously? "Move to another state"...this is a grown up's argument? In addition, medical marijuana was not an issue. You could not smell it everywhere. Now, it is disgusting. Not to mention the hypocrisy...it is bad to have an open container in a public space, but smoking marijuana no problem. I know that people are not supposed to do that. So, police should enforce the law. It is not acceptable to be exposed to the smell if you do not want to. And yes, this is a right and I should not move to a different state to enjoy it. You must respect it or you should move to to a left banana republic of your choice.

I don't notice any difference around Somerville/Cambridge/etc from 10 years ago.

I'd rather smell more MJ and less cigarettes though. I'm exposed to all sorts of smells every day, I don't have the "right" to not be exposed by scents when I'm out in public.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:31 PM

188 posts, read 283,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
There are so many things that i smell every day that i don't like. there are people blasting music out of their cars. there is bus diesel fumes. why does MJ offend you more than these things?
Societies have genuinely tried to reduce all those things that decrease quality of life... I am not offended more when I smell MJ. I just find this strong, penetrating smell that sticks to someone's clothes and follows them whenever they go disgusting. Is this a problem? Now the folks that define the liberal, pseudoprogressive trends should control what smell we should like or something...?

Old 02-09-2018, 02:25 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I was talking with a town figure about this not too long ago because I was quite surprised that a dispensary would be allowed by the town to open here. He was telling me that it would be illegal to ban marijuana sales in the town, but they can make the zoning fairly restrictive so as to at least keep the shops out of sight or away from places like schools.
Good thinking by this town's leadership. Of course you would think, as a parent, that a dispensary should not be near a school, but it really doesn't matter as much as you might think. The dispensary is not going to be serving children, so the dispensary is not the real problem for parents, although they are visible manifestations of many parent's fears.

The real problem that is a threat to kids, and has been for many decades, is the illegal dealer on the street corner near the school, who will sell to anyone who has the cash. Towns without a dispensary are going to be where the illegal sellers and gangs will flourish even though they will be out of sight.

Think about it. It is much better to be in one of those town where the desire for cannabis is satisfied by a legal, controlled, taxed and regulated dispensary that does not sell to children, than in a town where illegal sellers will sell to everyone, including 12 year olds .

I know some parents have a problem with thinking logically and that certain words are triggers for parents. I know that because many years ago, when I was managing a music shop, Huey Lewis came out with a song called, "I want a new drug...". Some parents wouldn't let their kids by it because the title of the song had the word "drug" in it. They couldn't be bothered to listen to the song before making that decision. Here's a clue, it was a love song. The "drug" he was talking about was the incredible love he felt for another. No where in the song are ANY illegal drugs or legal drugs mentioned.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:07 PM

24,489 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Speaking of zoning.. In a town near me a guy bought a commercial building in a commercial zone with plans to turn the building from retail back into a repair shop for cars as it once was. He was given the OK from the town but then the neighbors caught wind of it flipped out. They hired a lawyer to push the town to keep this guy from opening his garage.
I spoke with him this past Fall and after 2 years of sitting on this property and being blocked it will now be turned in to a marijuana shop and the neighbors are all for it.
I know it is a crazy world we live in.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:42 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
Seriously? "Move to another state"...this is a grown up's argument? In addition, medical marijuana was not an issue. You could not smell it everywhere. Now, it is disgusting. Not to mention the hypocrisy...it is bad to have an open container in a public space, but smoking marijuana no problem. I know that people are not supposed to do that. So, police should enforce the law. It is not acceptable to be exposed to the smell if you do not want to. And yes, this is a right and I should not move to a different state to enjoy it. You must respect it or you should move to to a left banana republic of your choice.
Smoking in public will still be illegal. Similar laws to alcohol.

And marijuana use has been widespread before this law. It's just now it'll be sold through legal channels instead of through drug dealers.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:54 AM

550 posts, read 680,563 times
Debate Heats Up Over North Andover Mega Marijuana Research Facility | NECN https://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...mobilesharebar

This just happened in the town I lived in. I was disappointed this project was not approved. We have a huge opioid epidemic and people are more concerned about marijuana. The fear mongering by some of the residents was outrageous.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:00 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
^High tech facility with lots of jobs or empty warehouse. Hmmmm.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:03 AM

550 posts, read 680,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
^High tech facility with lots of jobs or empty warehouse. Hmmmm.
Can't believe they would rather see an empty place. It was very frustrating to be at that meeting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts