Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:56 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times

Advertisements

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/top-p...-family-homes/

Any major surprises? Any trends that catch your eye? Predictions for 2018?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 07:28 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Jeez, that is pretty impressive, thanks for the info. As a homeowner, I suppose on balance it's good news. But it is leavened somewhat by what will be increasing RE tax bills, and the thought that you can't really win by selling, unless you can buy in an area you also like that's not appreciating as fast. Still if I had to pick, I'd definitely rather see my home value rising than falling.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:29 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Looking at the 5 year change, seeing cities like Brockton, Lawrence, Lynn, and Chelsea at the top is interesting.

When looking at days on the market the Watertown/Arlington/Medford area is hot. That doesn't surprise me.

I think there are some issues with small towns (like Nahant or Carlisle) where the yearly changes might be due more to what homes happen to be on the market rather then an actual change in value. Though I like how it uses medium price which as a whole is a much better measurement compared to average.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:46 PM

My initial thought is that, despite some outliers, the luxury market has capped. And, after many years of killer growth in the inner ring, and largely because of that crazy demand in recent years, the tide may be starting tonshift slightly towards the outer ring. I think this will continue, and places like Melrose/Wakefield/Milton will start to level out a bit.

I would have never believed, 10 yeas sgo, that median home prices in Billerica would be pushing $450k. Billerica and Dedham are essentially the same price? I guess that’s the product of being close to Waltham-Burlington-Woburn.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:46 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
Lawrence's new mayor is doing some great work it seems!

Speculative buying around the future Silver Line in Chelsea is probably helping there.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I would have never believed, 10 yeas sgo, that median home prices in Billerica would be pushing $450k. Billerica and Dedham are essentially the same price? I guess that’s the product of being close to Waltham-Burlington-Woburn.
Woburn is pretty comparable to Dedham. Both in price, distance from Boston, and character.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Woburn is pretty comparable to Dedham. Both in price, distance from Boston, and character.
Always thought of Dedham as more upscale and established, though the data shows that you're correct. It must be that Dedham has more luxury housing, but the barrier of entry is lower? Dedham just feels a bit more quaint and desirable.

Good to see areas like Woburn and Billerica on the rise. Kind of assumed in recent years that Billerica would see a jump based on location.. Apparently that new high school is going to be unbelievable too, so I expect this years increase to grow by %.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:17 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
I found it interesting that Brookline was #1 in median price for 2017 and #6 for 1 year increase in median price. Yet it was somewhere around #25 for 5 year median increase. It was also the only "high dollar" location with a double digit increase this year. The only other "high dollar" suburb with a double digit change was Lincoln and that had a -11% change.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I found it interesting that Brookline was #1 in median price for 2017 and #6 for 1 year increase in median price. Yet it was somewhere around #25 for 5 year median increase. It was also the only "high dollar" location with a double digit increase this year. The only other "high dollar" suburb with a double digit change was Lincoln and that had a -11% change.
Further proof that if buyers at the highest price point have the money, they're turning to communities closer to the city. Then again, Concord is trending up, but that seems to be an exception as opposed to the rule in the tier 1 upper crust towns. Weston has been stagnant, while Newton continues to boom.

The luxury market in general, and to your point, seems to have leveled out. And towns like Bedford, Reading, Westford, Natick are really reaping the benefits as affluent buyers look to these towns for more "reasonable" luxury homes.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Always thought of Dedham as more upscale and established, though the data shows that you're correct. It must be that Dedham has more luxury housing, but the barrier of entry is lower? Dedham just feels a bit more quaint and desirable.

Good to see areas like Woburn and Billerica on the rise. Kind of assumed in recent years that Billerica would see a jump based on location.. Apparently that new high school is going to be unbelievable too, so I expect this years increase to grow by %.
Yah I'd tend to agree with you. Maybe Woburn is considered a better location. It's closer to the tech jobs along 128 (more north then south) and is an easier drive to downtown Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts