U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 06:19 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,600,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
10 minutes at 2 AM in perfect summer weather. In the AM it'll be a 20-30 minute drive with the lights and probably closer to 40 minutes home as you can't turn onto the street from Rt 2 W. You have to drive down to the curve at 2A and turn around.
The OP would have to deal with the turn around in the morning, they could just use the Bedford Road route 2 exit. Wouldn't take long. Could also take back roads through Lexington. I agree that 10 mins is optimistic though.

Way back no turn around. The only issue is getting out of the garage.

Still door to door you're better then most other options. Though the OP would have to drive 8 miles to Alewife.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 06:25 PM

500 posts, read 472,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwohig View Post
Looking at homes up to 1.1 million

Also want to keep commute to Cambridge to 1:15 max
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwohig View Post
Hello all
My family is relocating from the Main Line suburbs outside of Philadelphia to the Boston area. We have started looking at some of the suburban neighborhoods and would welcome any thoughts/feedback.

Some parameters we are looking at:
- Must be commutable to Cambridge - so we are generally looking at towns on or close to the Fitchburg commuter line
- We have 2 small children so school district is our top priority
- A decent sized backyard and larger home (4+ bedrooms) - which cuts out anything closer in we know

We do want someplace that has a community spirit and preferably some kind of town center or area where there are restaurants, shops etc.

So far we love Concord but also know how expensive it is there, and how limited the house inventory is there.

Towns we have been told about include Acton, Sudbury, Lincoln, Carlise, and Westford (which seems a bit far out)

Thanks for the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
So, the summary is: The OP may have a tough time finding a reasonable property at that $1.1M price point in Winchester, Belmont, Lexington, Concord, Newton, and Wellesley. If that's the case, and the OP wants to maintain a large(r) yard and good schools, suggestions are Andover, Needham, Lincoln and possibly Reading/Acton/Sharon.

Here are some properties I've seen that may be worth a look.
Reading: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M37749-92940
Andover: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean..._M43486-92343#
Lincoln: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M43059-14310
Needham: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M33245-03854
1.2m is the top-end of the market in Reading. If the OP is interested in Reading, I would hope he spends under his budget. The median home sale price in Reading according to Boston Magazine is 525K. Needham (median price 912K), Lincoln (1.2m), and Andover (608K) have more million dollar + listings.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-...-family-homes/

Old 04-03-2018, 07:44 PM

3,091 posts, read 1,683,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
1.2m is the top-end of the market in Reading. If the OP is interested in Reading, I would hope he spends under his budget. The median home sale price in Reading according to Boston Magazine is 525K. Needham (median price 912K), Lincoln (1.2m), and Andover (608K) have more million dollar + listings.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-...-family-homes/
That’s at the top end of the budget/the town because that’s one of only two homes at 3k sq/ft for sale. In fact, it’s one of only 16 SFH for sale in town in general. Acton, Sharon, and even Andover aren’t really priced differently at this point. I’d bet my mortgage that the price p/sq.ft. in Reading was more than Sharon or Acton for EOY ‘17. You’ll get, as a search will show, a much much nicer house in Acton than Reading at that $750-$1M price point you’re referencing. Demands higher, housing stock is way less, and it’s more convenient for a larger % of buyers.

https://www.zillow.com/reading-ma/home-values/
https://www.zillow.com/acton-ma/home-values/
https://www.zillow.com/sharon-ma/home-values/

If I’m a home buyer in 2018, I’m buying the upside in Reading if I can’t afford Concord/Winchester/Lexington etc. Plus, the neighborhoods are older and offer a much more diverse housing stock. That, and the areas west in Reading have such an inviting, tree lined, all-American feel with some semblance of wallkability, a near requirement for the next wave of home buyers.

EDIT: Based on recent data, Sharon’s average sale price falls $200k below the listing price. Small small small sample size, but I think it speaks to Readings demand and locale. As I’ve noted, our home search came down to Andover and Reading, and we ultimately found Andover to be cheaper for the same house, and by a noticeable margin.

Last edited by mwj119; 04-03-2018 at 08:00 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 PM

291 posts, read 245,867 times
Acton has an express train to Cambridge, Sharon an express train to South station. Reading has a 25 minute ride to North Station with a small parking lot and maybe an easy drive if you work in tech in Burlington. Reading is ok, but if I had a choice I’d choose Stoneham over Reading. To me, there is not much difference between Stoneham, Melrose, Wakefield, Reading. I think those three are better comparisons to Reading. I used to drive around that area quite a bit and would never be able to tell which town I was in, especially the area where Stoneham, Melrose, and Wakefield meet. Also Stoneham has bus routes to Orange line and Melrose is close to Oak grove in Malden. Wakefield has one of the most beautiful lakes in Massachusetts.

Last edited by Steephill2; 04-03-2018 at 08:29 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
Acton has an express train to Cambridge, Sharon an express train to South station. Reading has a 25 minute ride to North Station with a small parking lot and maybe an easy drive if you work in tech in Burlington. Reading is ok, but if I had a choice I’d choose Stoneham over Reading. To me, there is not much difference Stoneham, Melrose, Wakefield, Reading. At least Stoneham has bus routes to Orange line and Melrose is close to Oak grove in Malden.
The major difference between those communities is simply the tidiness, and the hygiene of the neighborhoods, schools, and parks. There are more rundown little parts of Stoneham than Reading/Wakefield combined, with probably the least functional downtown of the three. Based on what you said, though, the main roads do not look vastly different. Frankly, you can extend that to Burlington and Woburn too.

That said, I do also really like Wakefield. It would be a formidable option, but the schools are meh. And, Melrose is fantastic, but it’s too expensive and too dense for the yard and sq.ft. requirement,, and again, the schools are sub par.

As for the commute, the maths been done quite a bit on this thread. Acton is a pretty tough commute.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
As for the commute, the maths been done quite a bit on this thread. Acton is a pretty tough commute.
Driving, probably, but if I worked in Harvard/Porter square area and the schedule is right I would absolutely look at Acton, less than 30 min assuming parking at the station was not an issue. There are probably places in Cambridge itself that would be longer commutes. Same thing with Natick and Mansfield. Express trains as well. I would say that’s probably one of the most underrated aspects of public transportation but only a few towns are lucky enough to have it. I doubt many people from out of town know this either so just wanted to mention it.

Last edited by Steephill2; 04-03-2018 at 09:29 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,600,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
Acton has an express train to Cambridge, Sharon an express train to South station. Reading has a 25 minute ride to North Station with a small parking lot and maybe an easy drive if you work in tech in Burlington. Reading is ok, but if I had a choice I’d choose Stoneham over Reading. To me, there is not much difference between Stoneham, Melrose, Wakefield, Reading. I think those three are better comparisons to Reading. I used to drive around that area quite a bit and would never be able to tell which town I was in, especially the area where Stoneham, Melrose, and Wakefield meet. Also Stoneham has bus routes to Orange line and Melrose is close to Oak grove in Malden. Wakefield has one of the most beautiful lakes in Massachusetts.
I've always thought as Stoneham being a tier below those other towns you mentioned. I feel like Lynnfield would be a more abt comparison to Reading.

Not saying there's anything wrong with Stoneham though.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I've always thought as Stoneham being a tier below those other towns you mentioned. I feel like Lynnfield would be a more abt comparison to Reading.

I didn’t necessarily mean tiers, but more like if I was from another state and toured those four places I would say they were pretty much the same. Like the same older housing stock near the town centers, smaller to medium sized lots overall, new developments here and there, some condo developments built in the 70’s/80’s and some newer ones in seemingly random areas. To me, Lynnfield seems to have larger lots and less commercial overall. I could be wrong though. The one thing the four towns have is that congested main road in the middle of the town center. I’m not saying it’s bad, but just my observation and experience. these towns are perfect if you like to be close to everything.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Frankly, you can extend that to Burlington and Woburn too.
Not necessarily. Woburn is huge with each part of the city with different characteristics. West Woburn is kind of like it’s own town. Burlington is almost like two different towns, but with Burlington there are a lot split level houses from the 60’s so that is one differentiation.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post

Yeah, I would be more likely to group Reading with Lynnfield and Andover, though I understand that East Reading and Wakefield are nearly indistinguishable.

Anyways!

OP has a lot of options, that’s for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts