Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 04:10 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=j...6C8655596F3404

Better get away from places that sell jewelry too. Jewelry stores will ruin towns! People will invade homes for jewelry! Don't be around people with JEWELRY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 04:28 PM

17,716 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Better get away from places that sell jewelry too. Jewelry stores will ruin towns! People will invade homes for jewelry! Don't be around people with JEWELRY!!!
While I do realize you're just trying to be funny, the jewelry analogy is just as poor now as it was 150 posts ago when you first made it.

Why?

1) Because stolen jewelry can only be sold for a tiny fraction of its value.

2) There is a lot of risk involved with selling stolen jewelry.

3) Jewelry owners won't hesitate to call the police.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:35 PM

256 posts, read 140,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Nobody wants to share their thoughts about July 1st?
I may have to postpone my budcation

Old 05-10-2018, 04:44 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
While I do realize you're just trying to be funny, the jewelry analogy is just as poor now as it was 150 posts ago when you first made it.

Why?

It's all profit if its stolen, so mark up/mark down doesn't matter relative to it's cost. Selling a $2000 piece of jewelry for $200 is more profitable than selling $150 worth of weed for $150. Duh.

There is risk with illegally selling drugs. There is risk in any criminal activity.

Legal weed growers or purchasers won't hesitate either to call if their homes are broken into. Illegal dealers will, and look, that's been an issue, which is why legalizing is the way to go, so crime will be reduced and the criminal element.

Someday you'll get something right. Maybe.

Last edited by timberline742; 05-10-2018 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 05:25 PM

636 posts, read 705,921 times
Quote:
wror, the reality is: for every marijuana related home invasion you hear about, there are likely dozens you don't hear about. It is very common, and you'll only hear about the ones where something went very wrong. The vast majority of marijuana related home invasions go under the radar because the victim doesn't call the police.

And, yes, this mostly involves illegal dealers. But I do believe it's relevant to this discussion.

Anybody with knowledge and motivation can now legally grow in their Massachusetts home more than enough high quality marijuana to legitimately put themselves at risk for a violent home invasion.

I happen to be very well verse everything crime and POT.
I could post a Facebook thread with dozens of posters revealing/complaining to each other about their outdoor pot plants being stolen. Some posters saying 'why do they have to steal, i would give to them for free' Yet, POT stealers would rather steal it.

There is one Sheriff that said about 4 months ago: there have been several home burglaries of criminals stealing marijuana.----Yet, when i conduct a deep search, i can not find any related-news stories of the home burglaries in the county. As you said redplum33 : " for every marijuana related home invasion you hear about, there are likely dozens you don't hear about"

With 30 days after the Ma "weed" stores open, i concede now, will not be able to keep up with posting them all.
Eventually in Massachusetts, home invasions of POT will just become a normal occurrence in a legal POT world.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:43 PM

3,213 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Some posters saying 'why do they have to steal, i would give to them for free' Yet, POT stealers would rather steal it.
Any time you start to to almost make a valid point, it all gets flushed down the toilet because of stuff like this.

I live near a bus stop, so i probably wouldn't grow weed outside my house, for the same reasons I don't leave my bike, lawnmower or even a full case of beer.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-11-2018 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 05-10-2018, 06:26 PM

17,716 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:

Why?

Quote:
It's all profit if its stolen, so mark up/mark down doesn't matter relative to it's cost. Selling a $2000 piece of jewelry for $200 is more profitable than selling $150 worth of weed for $150. Duh.

Yes, it's all profit, but your choice to use $2000 in jewelry and $150 in weed in your example is ridiculous. $150 in (quality) weed is 1/2 oz at best. Paraphrasing you from earlier in this thread: nobody breaks into a house for a half ounce of weed.

I'd also argue that you're unlikely to get $200 for a $2000 piece of jewelry. Maybe $50? Crooks only get like $20 for stolen iPhones.

Quote:
There is risk with illegally selling drugs. There is risk in any criminal activity.

I don't disagree, but there's far more risk walking into a pawn store to sell stolen jewelry than there is when selling some weed to a buddy. Night and day difference.

Quote:
Legal weed growers or purchasers won't hesitate either to call if their homes are broken into. Illegal dealers will, and look, that's been an issue, which is why legalizing is the way to go, so crime will be reduced and the criminal element.

I don't believe that legal weed growers/purchasers will call the police. We've had this discussion already and I've explained why. No point in explaining it again. It went over your head the first time. I don't expect a different result the second time.

Quote:
Someday you'll get something right. Maybe.

Have you been drinking?

Old 05-10-2018, 07:32 PM

636 posts, read 705,921 times
The Majority of communities in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts have now Banned marijuana businesses

At least Six more additional Massachusetts communities Ban marijuana :

May 10, 2018
Hampden County
Southwick residents vote to prohibit recreational marijuana sales
SOUTHWICK, Mass. (WWLP) - Southwick residents voted to prohibit recreational marijuana sales Tuesday.
Voters went to Southwick Town Hall Tuesday to cast their ballots on the zoning bylaw and general bylaw that would ban the sale of recreational pot.....The Boston Globe has also reported that more than 180 out of the 351 municipalities across the state have already banned retail marijuana shops
Southwick residents vote on prohibiting recreational marijuana sales - WWLP

05/09/2018
Recreational pot banned by Town Meeting in Lancaster
LANCASTER Massachusetts -- All 14 warrant items, including votes to ban recreational marijuana retailers,,, were approved by residents
Recreational pot banned by Town Meeting in Lancaster - Sentinel & Enterprise

May 09, 2018
Harwich bans recreational pot
Harwich residents voted to ban recreational marijuana businesses from setting up shop in town.
residents voted 184 to 48 in favor of the ban
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...N4L/story.html

May 4, 2018
Mount Washington, Massachusetts bans marijuana businesses
'Mount Washington joined a growing list of Massachusetts municipalities that have passed local regulations banning for-profit marijuana sales and cultivation..'
http://www.berkshireeagle.com/storie...inesses,538853

Apr 24, 2018
Northboro town meeting bans medical marijuana treatment centers, recreational pot establishments
Town meeting voters approved bylaws Monday to prohibit medical marijuana treatment centers and all non-medical marijuana establishments in town.
John D. Mauro disputed the idea that marijuana is not a “gateway drug,” saying he has seen contrary evidence firsthand during his 23-year-old son’s decline from marijuana use to opioid addiction.
http://www.telegram.com/news/2018042...establishments

South Hadley voters approve ban on recreational marijuana sales
SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. (WWLP) - South Hadley voters have approved a ban on recreational marijuana sales in town.
http://www.wwlp.com/news/local-news/...les/1115850867

Last edited by wror; 05-10-2018 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 10:02 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
[quote=wror;51859238]The Majority of communities in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts have now Banned marijuana businesses

That only means the ones that haven't banned it are going to make a killing.

Can you imagine owning a cannabis business surrounded by communities that have banned stores? Those people will be millionaires within 6 months.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:11 AM

3,213 posts, read 2,120,946 times
[quote=jburress;51860285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
The Majority of communities in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts have now Banned marijuana businesses

Can you imagine owning a cannabis business surrounded by communities that have banned stores? Those people will be millionaires within 6 months.
Sad thing is that these people are already and have been millionaires for a while. This is who is going to get the permits for these shops. The only reason i was against POT legalization is because i was afraid it would be a case of the super rich getting super richer. there is not a high probability that you can just throw your hat in the ring without huge financial backing. This is another reason why I will support my local farmer and keep money out of the pink turkey necked billionaires fat mouths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts