Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 12:40 PM

4,235 posts, read 3,678,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What??? These animals (yes I said it) are murdering our children. In a sense I agree that we often expend too many resources processing them through the revolving door of the justice system over and over again. You sell heroin and/or fentanyl, you need prison for life with zero chance of parole. I have no problem making their first housing payment, although burying them in the ground sounds honestly much better.
Aah, yes. Let's kill everyone. When that's your position, there's no point in attempting a reasonable discussion. I used to think that way, when I was about twelve. I've since come to realize there are so many more complicated issues involved.

Quote:
You have to be joking right? SWAT teams in every small town??? My town (heck even my whole county), doesn't have a SWAT team never mind a tank! Killing people trying to catch a pound of marijuana??? Maybe in the favelas of Rio, even there I would highly doubt it...sounds like somebody needs to turn off that BLM and do a Ride Along with their local PD. Your eyes may open up some...
You obviously have not read about the numerous issues we've had with the proliferation of SWAT teams and the militarization of our police forces. Perhaps you are lucky in that your particular town does not happen to have a SWAT team or military weapons, but there are WAY too many that do. I'm sure towns not far from your's do, as well. I cited one book in my prior post. You can also see articles about it in numerous places if you search.

About a year ago (maybe two?) there was an article in the Globe about a man whose family called the police because the man was about to commit suicide. The police sent in the SWAT team and killed him. I believe it was in a South Shore town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 01:13 PM

9,919 posts, read 15,488,689 times
Maybe most of the cities have SWAT teams, but you aren't going to find them in many of the towns around here. I guess they could call on the state police if they need to.

P.S. How did this thread get turned into a discussion about SWAT teams?

Old 05-21-2018, 06:43 PM

17,155 posts, read 8,804,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
In terms of OD, fentanyl is the biggest problem. Fentanyl is not only put in heroin but also cocaine. And most of the time, the users are unaware.
Quote:
Not only that, MJ now too is increasingly being laced with it. They're already seeing it in RI, it's only a matter of time before it gets to MA (if it hasn't already).

While I understand that's been reported, it's not accurate. It stems from some people who had to be given Narcan, and they told the police they had only been smoking weed. They didn't want to say they were doing heroin.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:27 PM

18,563 posts, read 10,489,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Maybe most of the cities have SWAT teams, but you aren't going to find them in many of the towns around here. I guess they could call on the state police if they need to.

P.S. How did this thread get turned into a discussion about SWAT teams?

Page 6 post #56.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:27 AM

23,112 posts, read 18,253,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You do know that charged and convicted are very different things, right?

Also, that prosecutors overcharge. Its been that way forever. They charge people with a higher level crime to give them room to plea bargain.
It goes the other way too, you frequently get Trafficking charges pled down to Possession w/Intent. Probably considerably more.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times
Quote:
It goes the other way too, you frequently get Trafficking charges pled down to Possession w/Intent. Probably considerably more.

That's because the overcharged initially (trafficking), and then plead it down, because they knew they didn't have the evidence for trafficking.

Being charged is VERY different from being convicted, I have no idea why you seem to conflate them.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Aah, yes. Let's kill everyone. When that's your position, there's no point in attempting a reasonable discussion. I used to think that way, when I was about twelve. I've since come to realize there are so many more complicated issues involved.

I will not pretend I have the right to take their life, heck Massachusetts doesn't even have the death sentence for 1st Degree Murder...just saying it would be no loss. "Everyone", or "money crime" my arse. They are parasites to society.

Quote:
You obviously have not read about the numerous issues we've had with the proliferation of SWAT teams and the militarization of our police forces.

I choose not to read such propaganda, you would think we are living under some martial law apartheid going by what these wingnut sources suggest. It's not at all the America I live in. Perhaps you live in that one, perhaps you are seeing militia men in tanks patrolling the streets of Newton?

Quote:
Perhaps you are lucky in that your particular town does not happen to have a SWAT team or military weapons, but there are WAY too many that do. I'm sure towns not far from your's do, as well.

No SWAT team in my town or the next town or the next town...none in my ENTIRE county (which is physically larger than all of RI and CT combined. Lucky??? I wish there was a SWAT team in my town! Given its isolation and growing meth problem it would certainly make things safer. I think most people would be for it here, the only ones that would complain are the criminals. God forbid there be some kind of bad incident here (say at the high school), I would guess 2+hours for an actual SWAT team to be put together. That is reality in much of America outside of big cities. This isn't Hollywood. Even in more metropolitan areas, it is likely an hour plus. That's why Columbine became such a large tragedy, the local police sat outside helplessly for a good hour or so while they were waiting on SWAT to arrive. The shooters continued on their rampage. As a result, active shooter protocols have been totally revamped since that incident. Now the first arriving officers enter the building without delay, at least they are supposed to. Unfortunately it didn't happen like that in Parkland.

Quote:
I cited one book in my prior post. You can also see articles about it in numerous places if you search.

Once again, there is endless tin-foil-hat nonsense in print. I'd rather spend my efforts protecting myself and those I care about, and making the world a better place. The "Big Brother is out to get me" can stay in the confines of mental wards and high school misfits, thank you.

Quote:
About a year ago (maybe two?) there was an article in the Globe about a man whose family called the police because the man was about to commit suicide. The police sent in the SWAT team and killed him. I believe it was in a South Shore town.

What happened? Why did they send the SWAT in and why was he killed? The Globe is known to have a leftist and anti-police agenda, I would certainly look for facts elsewhere before I start armchair quarterbacking the situation. Was anyone else present in the house and in danger? What kind of weapons did he have access to? Any explosive devices? Guy on any dangerous drugs or meds? Any threats made? History of violence towards others or the police? I'd want to know the answer to all of those. A SWAT response is never a light decision, likely the magnitude of the situation called for it. Whether they responded appropriately at the scene and the shooting was justified or not, either way it was a tragedy.

Last edited by massnative71; 05-22-2018 at 08:28 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM

24,265 posts, read 16,939,309 times
The addicts need to be treated so they can get off the junk.
Programs should be started to keep people from getting hooked in the first place.

Dealers should be locked up for the duration.

We have drug dealers that sell heroine and fentanyl which leads to overdose deaths.
The dealers should be charged with murder.

If the law was to come down hard on the real problem which are the traffickers and dealers and when they are caught they go to prison for a long time then word will get out that the authorities are not fooling around anymore.

If I take a gun to a busy street corner and start shooting people, hurting or killing them I would go to prison for murder.
Why is it any different when a dealer stands on that same street corner selling drugs that have the capacity to kill and sometimes do?

Try the dealers for murder and bring back the death penalty. Problem solved.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's because the overcharged initially (trafficking), and then plead it down, because they knew they didn't have the evidence for trafficking.

Being charged is VERY different from being convicted, I have no idea why you seem to conflate them.
Why do you always assume they were overcharged? The prosecutor could have dropped the ball, sometimes there is police incompetence, many ways for a case to get butchered along the way. Doesn't mean the person isn't guilty. You see Trafficking charges stick at a much greater rate in other states, hence the reputation of the Mass. justice system being the cluster that it is.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If I take a gun to a busy street corner and start shooting people, hurting or killing them I would go to prison for murder.
Why is it any different when a dealer stands on that same street corner selling drugs that have the capacity to kill and sometimes do?.

The difference is of course intent. It could still be considered manslaughter though, I can definitely see that going into law if we elect the right politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts