U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 AM

507 posts, read 1,148,912 times
Northeastern is a good school. However, as a finance major I would choose Bentley. It's a small private college with a great national reputation. I don't think Northeastern is known throughout the country like Bentley is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 01:09 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,829,197 times
I know people who have graduated from both Northeastern and Bentley. Both have good reputations, but I've found the people who graduated from Northeastern had a better "business mind". The co-op/internship program I'm sure helped, but the many people who have graduated from Bentley I was shocked at just some of the normal, everyday business things they didn't learn there. They really like Bentley and had a great time there, but I just didn't find they got as good a business education as the perception the school gives off.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM

In all reality, now that I'm in the business world it really doesn't matter where you go to school. There are lousy business people out there with Harvard MBA's and Billionaires with 8th grade educations. I will say that going to a school that is well known will open more doors once you graduate but if you're talking long-term it all comes down to performance, not a fancy name on a piece of paper. Don't get me wrong, I think people should go to the school they want to go to but in the long run it doesn't mean squat where you graduate from.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:04 PM

27 posts, read 95,608 times
RLCMA, Northeastern's co-op program encourages students to alternate semesters of study with periods of full-time work with co-operative partners in business and industry.
Wouldn't this give me an advantage over other graduating students on the business market?

Old 03-29-2008, 04:06 AM

anyone else has something to say?

Old 03-29-2008, 04:49 AM

238 posts, read 538,751 times
If you're sure you want a straight business degree, then I would veer towards Bentley. You're right about Northeastern having great co-op programs, but it seems as if every college student these days takes part in internships and co-ops, the school doesn't need to provide these for you.
If there's a chance you might double-major or get a different degree, I would go with Northeastern. Overall, Northeastern is more well known... but I would imagine that if you were focused on business that Bentley ties and connections might take you further, just because it's a smaller school that probably has a more close-knit alumni base. And from people I know that went there, these alumni are everywhere around the world.

Babson seems to be a force to reckon with too, if it were up to Bentley or Babson, I'd definitely go with the latter.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:38 AM

I didn't apply to Babson because it is too Entrepreneurship-centered, not known for other majors. I am choosing between Fordham U, Northeastern U and Bentley U. My major will probably be finance and accounting. I not sure if my mind will change after entering. what makes northeastern's co-op special is the fact that you get paid while working and that it is a six month full-time job which differs from other colleges' 3 months summer internship.
um,... I dont have an easy choice to make.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:28 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,221,576 times
You also need to think about the kind of college experience you want. Northeastern is a big urban school. Bentley is located in Waltham, and is a small private school. If there is a choice between Bentley and Babson, the latter is absolutely the better choice--it's a better school, in general.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:36 PM

im going to choose Northeastern because work experience is all that matters when it comes to job application.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:42 PM

It sounds like you had your mind made up before you even posted on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts