Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 03:40 PM

169 posts, read 182,364 times

Advertisements

Winchester has the best Montessori school in Greater Boston - Children's Own School. Melrose Montessori in Melrose is also very good. Both have AMI trained teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 03:45 PM

18 posts, read 31,300 times
Appreciate the replies...

I will have to look closer at Brookline. My concern was too much of a city feel vs. suburb feel. I don't want the hassle of street parking, etc.

Appreciate the comparisons to Chicago. We're in Hinsdale and have been focusing on Newton, Wellesley and Natick areas so seems like these compare.

Is it common to see folks out exercising in these towns (biking, running, etc.)? My first visit was on a rainy day so didn't see much activity.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:07 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benton55 View Post
We're in Hinsdale and have been focusing on Newton, Wellesley and Natick areas so seems like these compare.

Is it common to see folks out exercising in these towns (biking, running, etc.)? My first visit was on a rainy day so didn't see much activity.
Going back to your original post, I think Newton fits best of those towns. Newton has more sidewalks, while Wellesley and Natick are heavier on subdivisions. As discussed in another thread, Wellesley definitely is a town where I'd spend some time in the local grocery stores and parks before committing to the town.

This entire area is very active. In the burbs you will get pelotons of dads on their road bikes (as if our local orthopedic surgeons need a 2nd vacation house), while the moms tend to do lots of overpriced fitness classes. You will see lots of people out and about as well. The marathon route goes through all 3 of these towns and there is a lot of halo effect running that is inspired.

If you do revisit Brookline, be forewarned that the areas that may be more of a suburb feel overlap with the areas of Brookline that are very inconvenient IMO. The close-in parts of Brookline are great, however the area to the SW toward the Country Club is not at all convenient to highways, airport, etc. I once house sat for a colleague there and hated it despite the beautiful neighborhood. One area that could work for you is Chestnut Hill. It will stretch your budget but is one of the most beautiful and unique neighborhoods in this area. Another absolutely incredible Brookline neighborhood is the area near Hall's Pond Sanctuary. It is basically in Boston, but feels very suburban. It is a very small but beautiful neighborhood (potentially out of your price range though).

Last edited by porterhouse; 06-06-2018 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 04:09 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
1. Newton
2. Newton
3. Newton

EDIT: I see you're in Hinsdale. You might like Wellesley or Needham. Don't bother with Natick -- it's further out than you need to go with your budget. I'd still pick Newton, though. (And, contrary to an assertion in a post upthread, you can get new construction or pretty damn nice in Newton in your price range.)

Last edited by chicagoliz; 06-06-2018 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 04:31 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times
Lexington has a Montessori school. The commute from Lexington is not ideal though.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:19 PM

317 posts, read 331,600 times
Newton
Brookline
Needham
Wellesley

All the others are too far. Needham fits your parameters especially well.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,655 times
If you are looking for Montessori schools that go until 8th grade (Middle School) I highly recommend Thacher Montessori in Milton. It is AMI and AMS certified and has a solid AP program. Milton schools are also good and there is always Milton Academy to consider if you feel your child is not a Montessori schild.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:38 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benton55 View Post
Appreciate the replies...

I will have to look closer at Brookline. My concern was too much of a city feel vs. suburb feel. I don't want the hassle of street parking, etc.

Appreciate the comparisons to Chicago. We're in Hinsdale and have been focusing on Newton, Wellesley and Natick areas so seems like these compare.

I wouldn't recommend Natick at that price point (at all). That'd be like choosing a less active La Grange over Hinsdale.

Newton will be a good fit, but make sure to check out all of the villages and get a good feel for each. It's urban feel in some areas, and immense affluence in others. Wellesley has developed quite a reputation, though i'm not sure if it's warranted. It's one of the very tip top elite towns in Greater Boston, and I think the reputation is that people from Wellesley make sure you know it.

Again, I'd highly recommend you consider Winchester and/or Belmont too. Winchester is my favorite town of the bunch.

And yes, people will be all over the place in Wellesley/Newton/Winchester/Belmont in nice weather.. Really any of those metrowest/inner ring suburbs bleeding out to Concord. Tons of runners, bikers, yoga on the common, etc.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
(And, contrary to an assertion in a post upthread, you can get new construction or pretty damn nice in Newton in your price range.)
Assuming the assertion you're directing the OP to is mine, that was meant for Brookline/Cambridge, not Newton.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 PM

17,709 posts, read 9,181,543 times
I don't know about the school stuff, but I wouldn't even consider Milton with your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts