Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:24 PM

50 posts, read 43,037 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My new job will likely at Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH).
I looking rent 2 bedrooms apartment/ condo with budget $2000 per month.
After searching, I considering Belmont because of their school rank and have train to MGH.
Beside Belmont that I think it is expensive place to live, what other suburb option I can consider that have a good school rank and more affordable on renting place?
I saw from niche.com, Weston or Wayland also good in their school rank. Is there any train/ bus from Weston or Wayland to MGH? If there is, How long it takes?
Also, any recommendation website(local maybe) to search apartment/ condo in those area?

Thank you in advance for your time and recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 01:47 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
I think there will be few answers that will help, because there aren't more affordable suburbs with good school ranks. Not that Belmont isn't really good, it is, but OP's budget isn't going to get any of the mentioned towns. Certainly not Weston or Wayland.

If working at MGH, Belmont is quite well located. And its schools are great. If OP could find $2k for two bed, they should grab it.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:55 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,240 times
Beverly wouldn't be too bad of a commute to mgh by train. Swampscott would be even easier.

Melrose, Wakefield, Reading, Andover, and others would be good options and cheaper then Belmont

Any train line into north station would work well.

All have pretty good schools.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:46 PM

28 posts, read 29,112 times
Weston has excellent schools but it is single family homes and rentals are few. They probably start around $4k per month. Wayland is similar too, but a litle more affordable. Weston has commuter rail at Kendal Green into North Station. If you can find something in Belmont for $2k, I would jump on it.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:06 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,421,575 times
I'm not sure if you can actually get a 2 bedroom apartment in Swampscott for under $2000 but that's probably your most realistic compromise with good schools and an easy commuter rail commute to North Station, which is a short walk or shuttle bus ride to Mass General.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Thanks everyone for some recommendation.
Can anyone share/ recommend with reason, which part of Belmont that have better rent apartment/ condo/ townhouse complex that manage by a company than private owner.
Maybe like:
- walkable to train station or public library or public middle school.
- not in main road are (to get less noise)

If you know better rent apartment/ condo/ townhouse complex but not in Belmont, please share too.

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend

Old 06-22-2018, 10:51 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,240 times
Andover has some apartments for 2k or under. If you live close enough to the train station there it wouldnt be a bad commute. Belmont would likely be more expensive.

Although if your set on something managed by a company for under 2k it would be impossible in Belmont and difficult in Andover or Swampscott.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2settle View Post
Thanks everyone for some recommendation.
Can anyone share/ recommend with reason, which part of Belmont that have better rent apartment/ condo/ townhouse complex that manage by a company than private owner.
Maybe like:
- walkable to train station or public library or public middle school.
- not in main road are (to get less noise)

If you know better rent apartment/ condo/ townhouse complex but not in Belmont, please share too.

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend
Ok, Belmont has one Middle School. One real library (though they hope to make another, someday). The library and downtown commuter rail station are close to each other.

Most apartments/townhomes in Belmont are in the Waverly Square section, where there is also a commuter rail station. It's a busy road area (Trapelo) and not all THAT walkable to either the library or the middle school. I'm sure there are places on quiter streets too. Cushing Square also has some, and that's closer to the Middle School, but not closer to trains (it does have the 73 to Harvard which is frequent).

Lastly, the apartments/townhomes there aren't really often managed by companies too often (this isn't a big thing in our region in general, not compared to other parts of the country). They aren't complexes (except for the Hill Estates, which isn't really close to anything you listed, except... it is an easy walk to Alewife T (Red Line), and I'm not sure that is so highly regarded anymore, it was in the 70s/80s, but now been on decline from what I understand).

Also, I don't see 2 bedroom for 2k happening very often in this town.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:48 PM

Thanks timberline742
Can anyone share which district/ area near Belmont that have few option of middle school?
How many middle school Arlington have? and which one is better if more than 1 middle school?
Is in Arlington have less rent apartment/ condo/ townhouse complex that manage by a company?

Maybe I will give up the walkable access and raise my budget few hundreds more but I had few times bad experience for rent from direct owner/ by agent(coincidence?) compare very satisfied with rent apartment manage by a company.
I am the person who prefer peace way and not to use my right(maybe waste time and energy) to fight for being taken advantage.
If anyone know which rent apartment manage by a company location/ their website, please share with me.
Thanks in advance for your time and recommendations

Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 PM

317 posts, read 331,338 times
Managed buildings are a huge waste of money. You can google Belmont apts (or any town) and see what apartments are available. I doubt you’re getting anything for that price. As far as “better” middle schools, it doesn’t really matter. If you live in a town with good schools all the schools are gonna be good. It would be splitting hairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts