U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:54 AM

38,460 posts, read 28,445,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Greenfield has more to do than the average burb by a good measure particularly in a quality over quantity view of life, and I’d pick a place like it any day over a Billerica or a Stoneham. Though it has no larger satellite city nearby, just other centralized nodes of activity - Northampton, Amherst, Brattleboro. It was a really nice place to hide and pretend that absurd and infuriating metropolitan inflation wasn’t happening less than 100 miles away, and live in a fantasy world where janitors and teachers and social workers and public servants could still own a solid home in a non slummy and somewhat vibrant town surrounded by rural splendor. Viva Western Mass!

So would I, I like Greenfield, it's even better now with what the Hawks and Reed Center is doing. I mean, I probably wouldn't pick Greenfield over Stoneham for one critical reason, jobs. Greenfield doesn't have any/many, and isn't near any/many. Where Stoneham is close to a ton.

So, yeah, it's affordable, because... no jobs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:14 AM

5,069 posts, read 4,800,011 times
The odd thing recently about Greenfield was the courthouse. Ok ok I get it you get a new courthouse. Now it's the garage for the courthouse.

Jobs are only part of income though. Investments play a role and side jobs. Even long before Ubur I knew people moonlighting on other things. One has installed carpet since the late 70s. I prefer hardwood or tile but that's just me. When you think about it how hard could it be to order, measure, cut and nail down...

There are jobs otherwise there wouldn't be any work. I think you meant no job openings. Even then there are but outside of medical and government not as much. Gradually I think much of the pioneer valley and to a point berkshires and hartford county will consolidate into the springfield metro area. The LOOP system at union station could be pretty interesting linking museums, mgm, hotels and restaurants. Cross marketing on other entities I'm sure will happen. I heard GreatHorse (biggest private golf course in the state I think) is talking to mgm. I'm not really a fan of golf but they really did a great job.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:56 AM

Investments play a role? Come on, how many working people out there have investments they can draw from to live? Very very very few. Almost none.

And there isn't much work to be had. No job openings means little work to be had and no growth.

And people "moonlight" because they have no choice but to in order to survive, because there is little work and it pays so little when they do get it.

Jobs are 100% of income for about 98% of working people. Seriously.

I love Greenfield, but unless you're willing to commute a long long way each day (plenty do), or in a niche field, you're signing up for meager living.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 AM

901 posts, read 1,118,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So would I, I like Greenfield, it's even better now with what the Hawks and Reed Center is doing. I mean, I probably wouldn't pick Greenfield over Stoneham for one critical reason, jobs. Greenfield doesn't have any/many, and isn't near any/many. Where Stoneham is close to a ton.

So, yeah, it's affordable, because... no jobs.
Don’t forget The Root Cellar along with Hawks and Reed. Between the two they are booking nationally touring musical acts with itineraries that go something like Philly, Brooklyn, Greenfield, Montreal, Detroit. One of those places is not like the others and Boston is on that tour maybe half the time. Plus the Green River and Wormtown music festivals.

I’d rather be in an affordable arts and culture oriented place isolated from jobs and maybe travel overly far for one (which I have done) or create a living than settle for a bland overpriced trafficky suburb priced beyond the means of my chosen profession. All preference I suppose.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:50 AM

Yeah, the Root Cellar has some stuff I wanted to see. Missed out on the Scientists tickets. Michael Hurley I might hit too.

I too want to be in at arts orientated place, which is why I picked Providence. But Greenfield is never going to fit in with that string you put there, they will, if they can, do the little bit more to come to Boston, unless they can't get the numbers/deal they're looking for, which is why they have gotten Ghostface Killah, etc. The Boston numbers weren't there, so, H&R it is. That's how Flywheel, and Pearl Street (back in the day) make it/made it all work.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:11 AM

Of course (and thankfully, it’ll stay off-radar cheap and guttery) it won’t fit in with that crowd of cities in terms of overall artsy vibrancy and desirability. So you made the right choice with Providence in terms of a real city with employment and vast range of artistic communities. New owner of Root has deep connections in the music industry, so I think it’s partly what you mention (touring bands who need a third choice option) and partly the owners’ personal connections to artists. It won’t be big names usually, but eclectic shows for fans of often groundbreaking but relatively obscure music. Maybe I’ll see you at Michael Hurley :-) !

Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Maybe! I think they (Root) got the only New England show for the Scientists. Quite a catch. He must have some connections. I can't imagine say, Middle East Upstairs wouldn't have wanted that.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:16 AM

8,248 posts, read 12,444,868 times
Could you guys stay on topic, please?

Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 AM

Back to topic - most of Massachusetts is a trafficky and soul sucking ripoff for the traditional middle class and segregated primarily by socioeconomic status, and secondly by race / ethnicity, but it’s still charming.

Some of us hide out in the boons to avoid it all.

Last edited by FCMA; 07-17-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 AM

5,069 posts, read 4,800,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Investments play a role? Come on, how many working people out there have investments they can draw from to live? Very very very few. Almost none.

And there isn't much work to be had. No job openings means little work to be had and no growth.

And people "moonlight" because they have no choice but to in order to survive, because there is little work and it pays so little when they do get it.

Jobs are 100% of income for about 98% of working people. Seriously.

I love Greenfield, but unless you're willing to commute a long long way each day (plenty do), or in a niche field, you're signing up for meager living.
For daily expenses no but this is the basis of what retirement is. You work for money and money works for you. There are jobs. The biggest in the region would be U Mass Amherst, it's only 25 minutes away and might have public transit (but no longer rail).

Affordability of housing is established otherwise they would have more foreclosures. Now the argument of increasing prices that's a different one. You are far more likely to see people taking out a home equity loan in eastern ma vs western, no argument there.

But at the end of the day there still has to be more units state and region wide to meet up with demand. There's back and forths with 40B's, student housing, elderly housing etc. Eventually I think we might go full circle and just see company housing again. Imagine if Amazon proposed housing for thousands in Boston if they moved HQ 2 in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or