Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 04:40 PM

17,708 posts, read 9,181,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Regardless, at least 1 roommate is pretty much necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Which is a hard sell for people coming from parts of the country where people with regular old jobs are buying houses in their 20s.
Agreed.

Frankly, I think it's insane that this house is over a million. And, in my experience, whenever people are continuously amazed about prices, it is a bubble situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 04:55 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
SF is not a good reference point for Boston for real estate. SF has major problems with homeless and drug addiction. SF is a bloody mess even thou it is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Boston is a way better run city.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:25 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
SF is not a good reference point for Boston for real estate. SF has major problems with homeless and drug addiction. SF is a bloody mess even thou it is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Boston is a way better run city.
Well, Boston does indeed have a ton of druggies and homeless, albeit still considerably less than SF. But the major reason Boston isn't as bad is because we have winter and they don't. Boston is still quite poorly run.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:44 PM

513 posts, read 646,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If you want to see how crazy RE in MetroWest can be, take a look at 77 Taylor Street in Needham. These people owned this house for almost exactly 14 months to the day and after paying $80K over the asking price 14 months ago they just sold the house for full asking price which was $50K more than that. In theory, you could say their house increased in value $50K over 14 months which is a 5%+ increase. Granted, after paying closing fees, commissions, etc. they probably lost a few dollars. However, it was likely just a few thousand and they really did nothing to the house except maybe paint and some new carpet in a few rooms.

Having been in this house. I can tell you there's nothing particularly special about it. It's not insulated with gold bars. It doesn't grant the owner three wishes. It's not located in the most sought after location in town. In fact, one of the bathrooms is still original from when the house was built with neon yellow subway tile. It's a pretty average house and there are many others in town that are similar.

Crazy!
I really can't believe a house on Taylor St sold for over a million. Those homes are smallish capes/ranches and Taylor is a narrow cut-through from Hunnewell to Central with no sidewalks. I have seen cars fly down there. Do you think it has something to do with the new Hillside school being built nearby?

Old 07-13-2018, 07:45 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
I really can't believe a house on Taylor St sold for over a million. Those homes are smallish capes/ranches and Taylor is a narrow cut-through from Hunnewell to Central with no sidewalks. I have seen cars fly down there. Do you think it has something to do with the new Hillside school being built nearby?
It has more to do with too many doctors and too many tech executives with too much money narrowing their home searches to a select few towns with limited inventory.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:51 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well, Boston does indeed have a ton of druggies and homeless, albeit still considerably less than SF. But the major reason Boston isn't as bad is because we have winter and they don't.
Also, Boston doesn't have sidewalks and parks filled with human feces and SF does.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
This. Moving from SF bay area to Boston, real estate was essentially a 50% off sale. In SF, we rented a 750 sq. ft. in-law with dated appliances and vinyl flooring worth $950k.

I just looked at the Needham house, and it's 40% cheaper than a comparable Cambridge home. Cambridge itself is 50% cheaper than comparable SF listings. If this is considered crazy, it can get far crazier I promise.

As residents we can vote and advocate for policies that makes new housing development easier. Support public infrastructure spending to expand the commutable housing. The law of supply & demand is an unforgiving element that can create seemingly harsh outcomes. Boston prices could very well double again based on job opportunities and housing development. Boston will never be cheap, but there are policies that directionally improve affordability.
It's certainly all relative as you point out. It's pretty unusual for a house to resell in such a short time frame though and I thought this was a particularly interesting sale because of that. I wasn't so much commenting on the sale price. I was more commenting on the $50K in appreciation over a 14 month period. Sure, homes in other areas probably appreciated more. For example, I had a client who almost purchased a unit at Millenium Tower for $4M pre-consrruction a few years back and the same style of unit recently resold for $5M. I'm sure there are even more outrageous examples in places like San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
Taylor Street also extends to the other side of Hunnewell. That section of the street is where this house is and it's a pretty quiet, low traffic spot in a cute neighborhood that's seen a lot of construction in recent years.

Personally, I'd rather spend my money on another house than lay down $1M+ for a house that doesn't even have a master bathroom. However, someone clearly liked this house.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:23 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
The above point is totally misleading with respect to this discussion. The super expensive housing prices are not just the city of SF--it's the entire peninsula, the South Bay (Silicon Valley), and Alameda County. I'm out here on vacation this week, and saw on the local news that median housing prices in these regions range from $950K - $1.4M (anyone can look these up too). Some of these areas are 50 - 75 miles away from the city of SF, so the homelessness argument is irrelevant.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
The above point is totally misleading with respect to this discussion. The super expensive housing prices are not just the city of SF--it's the entire peninsula, the South Bay (Silicon Valley), and Alameda County. I'm out here on vacation this week, and saw on the local news that median housing prices in these regions range from $950K - $1.4M (anyone can look these up too). Some of these areas are 50 - 75 miles away from the city of SF, so the homelessness argument is irrelevant.
You can buy a small house in Richmond walkable to the BART line with a 38 minute ride to San Francisco for $350k. Kind of like buying in Brockton.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:00 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If you work in high tech, biotech or medical then metro boston is actually down right affordable compared to sf bay area and NYC. Watch those cities as leading indicators
This. Boston is much more affordable than SF/Seattle or top European/Asian cities. Also, the city is so much more liveable. OP is complaining about prices being high in Needham. Name a top-tier city where you could live on 0.25+ acre lots, amongst farms, within 15 miles, with good schools and commute (rail?) for under a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts