Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,739,485 times
Sometimes you do have to wonder though is there sports fatigue? Let's be honest this isn't the 80's or 90's anymore. ticket prices went up due to championships. The past 17 years has been filled with them. Yes I get it and liked it when "we won" because the loser mentality faded. But now it just isn't that big of a deal anymore.

HDTV has also helped coverage. I couldn't stand watching ice hockey on analog tv. You could barely see the puck. As prices increased the price for better tv's decreased. Once networks go 4K in sports how many might just stay at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 01:45 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,749,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
To draw this conclusion, you'd have to know demographic and location of current attendees. A higher CSA doesn't mean much if few residents of Fall River or New Bedford are in attendance and/or if current attendance has a large share or Worcester and Boston CSA.
Fall River/New Bedford are part of the PVD MSA, not the CSA. But anecdotally speaking as someone who mostly grew up in the Fall River/New Bedford area (Assonet), Pawsox games were a big part of life for us and the area as a whole. Aside from just straight up buying tickets, they're popular giveaways at schools, sports leagues, fundraisers, etc. all over that area. I would guess that the Fall River/New Bedford area makes up a decent contingent of the McCoy attendance based on my experience. I'm also almost certain that most of these folks won't be heading to Worcester for a game (Worcester is a long ways away in the eyes of FR/NB locals).

Old 08-08-2018, 06:42 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,382,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Fall River/New Bedford are part of the PVD MSA, not the CSA. But anecdotally speaking as someone who mostly grew up in the Fall River/New Bedford area (Assonet), Pawsox games were a big part of life for us and the area as a whole. Aside from just straight up buying tickets, they're popular giveaways at schools, sports leagues, fundraisers, etc. all over that area. I would guess that the Fall River/New Bedford area makes up a decent contingent of the McCoy attendance based on my experience. I'm also almost certain that most of these folks won't be heading to Worcester for a game (Worcester is a long ways away in the eyes of FR/NB locals).
But maybe there will be more. People from Leominster or Framingham to make up for the loss of New Bedford or Fall River

Old 08-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Status: "On my way to sunny South Carolina" (set 1 day ago)

9,914 posts, read 15,479,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
But maybe there will be more. People from Leominster or Framingham to make up for the loss of New Bedford or Fall River
Worcester has the potential to draw a lot of people from Metrowest as long as that whole area where the stadium is located is cleaned up.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,228,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Worcester has the potential to draw a lot of people from Metrowest as long as that whole area where the stadium is located is cleaned up.
I could be totally wrong but I just don't see it happening, drawing in enough new fans to replace the ones that will be lost. Moving to Worcester will be a very bad decision IMHO.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 PM

8,380 posts, read 4,438,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post

The problem is that most people in Metrowest do not gravitate toward Worcester. The population of Metrowest also does not equal the surrounding towns that Pawtucket can draw from. Most fans that currently go to Pawsox games come from the surrounding towns closest to the stadium. That is not likely to change regardless of the city the new stadium is built in. Worcester's immediate surrounding population is far lower than that of Pawtucket. Here are the population numbers for some of the surrounding towns for the two proposed stadium locations:

Worcester vs Pawtucket/Providence market population comparison
(proposed Pawtucket Stadium is on Route 95 just 5 miles from downtown Providence)

Worcester Market (935,536)
Worcester 180,519
Shrewsbury 35,269
Milbury 13,250
Auburn 16,183
Holden 17,197
Grafton 17,472
W Boylston 7,660
Paxton 4,767
Leicester 10,934
Northborough 14,180
Marlboro 39,697
Hudson 19,603
Boylston 4,320
Westborough 18,285
Sutton 8,908
Leominster 40,884
Fitchburg 40,286

Pawtucket-Providence Market (1.61M)
Pawtucket 71,148
Providence 178,042
Attleboro, MA 43,593
Seekonk, MA 14,371
N Attleborough, MA 28,712
East Providence 47,037
North Providence 32,480
Central Falls 19,328
Cumberland 32,506
Lincoln 21,105
Cranston 80,387
Woonsocket 41,186
Warwick 82,672
W Warwick 29,788
Fall River, MA 87,103
Taunton, MA 56,843

Old 08-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Not surprising since Fall River is just 23 miles from McCoy stadium in Pawtucket. I don't think people realize how close the city is to the Providence area. You can actually see the Providence skyline from the plaza in front of Fall River City Hall. The cooling towers just east across the Taunton River from FR in Somerset are visible in much of RI, even on the western shores of Naragansett bay in places such as Warwick.

As a point of reference, Fall River is actually just a bit closer to McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket than MA cities such as Leominster, Fitchburg, and Framingham would be to a Madison Street stadium in Worcester..

Old 08-09-2018, 10:30 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,739,485 times
Considering the fact they are reaching out to the Berkshires and Great Horse I wouldn't be surprised if MGM springfield establishes a marketing agreement with the woo sox. It might work. If they ever extend more rail linking Springfield to worcester maybe that could bring more attendance. Could be a good five years off.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Considering the fact they are reaching out to the Berkshires and Great Horse I wouldn't be surprised if MGM springfield establishes a marketing agreement with the woo sox. It might work. If they ever extend more rail linking Springfield to worcester maybe that could bring more attendance. Could be a good five years off.

Very few people will ever take a train to minor league sports games. Worcester already has a MBTA commuter train station being the western terminus and the trip to Boston is generally 1.5 hours. I doubt that many along the route will ever take the train and walk several blocks to the Woosox stadium. The proposed Pawtucket stadium would also have a new downtown MBTA commuter station (expected completion 2019-2020) a few blocks away when it was to open. Trip would be about 1 hour from South Station in Boston. The line through Pawtucket however extends both north from Boston and south into RI (three more stops after Pawtucket - Providence/Warwick/Wickford). I still however doubt that large numbers would use it there as well.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:44 AM

12,595 posts, read 21,749,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I could be totally wrong but I just don't see it happening, drawing in enough new fans to replace the ones that will be lost. Moving to Worcester will be a very bad decision IMHO.
This is how I feel. I think that the only way it makes sense for the team to move is if Worcester/MA provides enough incentives in the deal enough to offset most of the risks involved with moving. It's a gamble to leave an established market (especially for a smaller market with a poor track record of sustaining franchises), and the team won't take that gamble unless there's little risk involved for them. The only way that risk is mitigated is if Worcester and Massachusetts provide big tax breaks and pony up a big chunk (likely all, or at least the majority of) the stadium cost. Worcester may actually do that if they believe that the stadium would be the catalyst for redevelopment of that corner of town. My thoughts are that that is a mistake on the city's part and a bad deal for taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts