U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 AM

18,615 posts, read 10,480,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
it's not happening to the right extent or in the right places.

https://goo.gl/maps/wKprr2Rcb552

That makes no sense at all. You want the mixed use high density stuff clustered around public transportation, not a couple miles from it in Weston where you can't survive without a car. If you can't walk to a commuter rail station, it makes no sense to increase density.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 09:26 AM

13,529 posts, read 10,285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That makes no sense at all. You want the mixed use high density stuff clustered around public transportation, not a couple miles from it in Weston where you can't survive without a car. If you can't walk to a commuter rail station, it makes no sense to increase density.
Or next to a highway. There is plenty of open land in Weston with very close proximity to 128. Sure next to a Commuter Rail would be preferable, but realistically for every Waltham tech worker family that can't live in Weston is now forced to live in Bellingham instead. That adds to far more congestion.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 AM

803 posts, read 697,189 times
Quote:
you can't build another commuter rail station until you have the density to support it.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:41 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,201,777 times
Quote:
it's not happening to the right extent or in the right places.

https://goo.gl/maps/wKprr2Rcb552

Then get to work and start your construction and development business. You'll make a ton.

I have no idea why you're posting a link to a street next to a golf course.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:49 AM

18,615 posts, read 10,480,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Or next to a highway. There is plenty of open land in Weston with very close proximity to 128. Sure next to a Commuter Rail would be preferable, but realistically for every Waltham tech worker family that can't live in Weston is now forced to live in Bellingham instead. That adds to far more congestion.

As a long term policy thing, what you want to do is use zoning to force employers to cluster around public transportation as well. You don't want cars inside I-495. Bellingham would be a 495 shuttle to a massive commuter rail station for the Worcester line and an employer-provided shuttle from Auburndale that also picks up commuters at the Brandeis or Waltham Fitchburg Line station. Electrified rail at much higher speeds and much higher frequency.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
As a long term policy thing, what you want to do is use zoning to force employers to cluster around public transportation as well. You don't want cars inside I-495. Bellingham would be a 495 shuttle to a massive commuter rail station for the Worcester line and an employer-provided shuttle from Auburndale that also picks up commuters at the Brandeis or Waltham Fitchburg Line station. Electrified rail at much higher speeds and much higher frequency.
Perhaps those things should be implemented anyway, but any long term policy planning should include more people being able to live closer to work. If the almost 5 million people in the Boston metro weren't so geographically dispersed, the infrastructure wouldn't be facing the needs that it does today.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:16 PM

803 posts, read 697,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Then get to work and start your construction and development business. You'll make a ton.

I have no idea why you're posting a link to a street next to a golf course.

I don't get why ppl are being pugnacious ITT. Everyone here knows the point I'm trying to make and that is we need to get serious about density outside of the neighborhoods within city limits.

We can start with slapping a few dozen of these blocks around 128 and see where that brings us

Old 02-04-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I don't get why ppl are being pugnacious ITT. Everyone here knows the point I'm trying to make and that is we need to get serious about density outside of the neighborhoods within city limits.

We can start with slapping a few dozen of these blocks around 128 and see where that brings us

Problem is, that's near short of impossible given the level of local control at play when setting land use policies. Decisions are made in the best interest (or what's perceived "as") of individual communities, at the expense of the broader region.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:51 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,157,749 times
We almost need some kind of "grand bargain" type of intervention to solve a problem like this. People in this country are very protective of land rights and personal property. That is a matter of opinion so there is really no good answer as to how areas like Eastern MA and similar situations can be dealt with.

I've spent a lot of time in a country overseas that deals with this issue in a way that would make many people here call for Civil War 2. But it works. They more or less eminent domain your property (even if it is a multi family like in Greater Boston), but you are given a brand new and more or less equivalent unit for your trouble. I'm not clear on what happens in between your house getting knocked down and something built in its place but many people actually hope for it to happen from what I've heard.

This would never fly in the USA though. But I'd love for someone to come and knock down my ancient 2 family and convey me 2 of the brand new units.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:28 AM

I've said it before on this forum, and I know I will not make many friends for saying this (not that that's my specialty here anyway), but the Boston area has an EXCESSIVE amount of state/park/protected/conservation land located in prime real estate by transit and highways. It is seriously time to start considering repurposing selected portions of this land for targeted housing development. Not saying we need to pave over every square inch of it like it is New Jersey, or eliminate open space. More like land swaps...develop an area that would be better suited for development, in exchange for protecting a new out of the way area that is better off left alone. BALANCE folks. I do realize I am dreaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts