Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:43 AM

73 posts, read 124,830 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a home in central MA. It's listed as a 3 bed cape. Two of the bedrooms are on the first floor. The third bedroom is upstairs. It looks like they converted the attic to a bedroom (with a door) and then an open area. I found out the most recent previous potential buyers walked away because there was no permit for the renovations in the attic. The price for the house is not quite the price for a 3 bedroom cape and more than the price for a 2 bedroom cape. I don't want problems down the road when I try to sell this house, in 10 or 15 years. The price is very attractive to my budget and now I know why it's priced the way it is. The seller has relocated and only lived there 2 years. They bought the house and it was listed as a 3 bed (I saw the listing) and they paid a 3 bedroom price for the house. Could this work out for me if I were to buy the house? If I were to make an offer, do you have a strategy - should I request the seller pull a permit? I would be willing to put some money into the home (eventually) to bring it up to code and get it properly permitted but right now I don't what that would cost. How do I get an idea of what it would cost to get the house in order so that when I want to sell it, I won't have the problem the current seller has now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 06:10 AM

880 posts, read 818,567 times
for attic, without permit the issues would be
- code for electric
-code for insulation. if not done properly then mold
- any plumbing

usually lack of permits is for keeping the tax low, most owners wouldn't voluntary live in a death trap
I wonder if 20k(max) is reasonable for opening up walls for inspection and redoing to code.

offer contingent up to 8k in repairs to bring to code?

Old 09-17-2018, 06:59 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I guess the question is what is the quality of the work? Just because it was done unpermitted doesn't mean the job is potentially a hack job.

If you do want to get the room done on a permit, you'll need to open the walls up. Cost all depends on the size/scope of the project. You may want to find a contractor who can go in and take a look to give you an opinion.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:02 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Unfortunately, the current owner probably wouldn't appreciate you asking the town's Code Enforcement Officer/Building Inspector for an opinion, but that's really the opinion that matters most.

It might actually be compliant as it is, if the person who did it knows what they are doing and doesn't do unsafe s--t, although that doesn't describe everyone who calls themselves a contractor. As others have hinted, you can't easily evaluate electrical work in a finished room - not sure how rigorous a town inspector would actually be in this case. You can tell a good deal though if you open the box cover plates for outlets, switches and light fixtures, and look what they are secured to and what's been done inside. But I suppose in principal, you could have something else - some surprise - done very badly that's hidden by the wallboard - like two wires just twisted together in space near a nice flammable stud or an electrically conductive water pipe...

I suppose you could ask either a local contractor who applies for permits and does things by the book and does a fair amount of work in that town, or a home inspection service who is local and and does a fair amount of work in that town. You'd use a home inspection service anyway during your due diligence period.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:34 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Yes, I would have a home inspector look at the work. As long as you feel it's safe then I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if you like it otherwise.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:51 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
If a mortgage is involved the appraiser will not approve till a final inspection is approved,I did this in Fl and had to get all permits done and final inspection.I added a 14 X 24 addition.
I had to have a civil engineer draw up plans for addition which involved even health dept for septic and leach field because it was added living space.
My only fault was one GFCI at hand sink.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Is the septic system built for a 2 or a 3 bedroom house or is the house on a town system?

We had a bank owned listing that had all sorts of work done to it without permits and others that were opened but never closed. We went to the building inspector in our town and he was aware of the house and he was willing to work with a buyer to bring it up to code.

It all worked out in the end.

Have your agent talk to the listing agent and get to the bottom of this issue before you buy. This could be a can of worms if you open it and the building inspector could make you turn the attic back into an attic.

It would be best to find out before you buy.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:14 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
The tax card more than likely is listed as a two bedroom,
your basically buying a two br home.
If you love the property, buy it, and enjoy it, when you sell,
Your selling a two br home.

Back when, I sold a home that I had finished the basement without permits, nobody cared, the buyers had
an inspection, got a mortgage, and I moved.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:02 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post

Back when, I sold a home that I had finished the basement without permits, nobody cared, the buyers had
an inspection, got a mortgage, and I moved.
My house has an unpermitted finished basement. Nobody cares. Inspectors didn't say anything, bank didn't care, I didn't care. Got the mortgage no problem.

Eventually I redid portions of it and moved a few walls around. No surprises were found and everything was done well.

Room in attic probably won't draw too much attention. Now, if you had an unpermitted 3-car garage and GROG added onto the house, might be a different story.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:08 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
How is it listed with the town/tax card?
Is the septic ok for 3 bedrooms?

Those would be the main issues for me.

Given the age of the properties round here, nearly all of them will have some unpermitted work. A good inspector will help - I usually focus on the electrical, and if any load bearing walls have been removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts