Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:49 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,324,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Not sure how you determined that. I love where I live, but find it hard to be enthusiastic about well publicized high school brawls/stabbings involving gang activity. I'm hopeful things improve but am prepared for the worst if the high school doesnt shape up, academically first and foremost.

And for OP sorry to go off topic I'm personally done with this tangent.
You seem pretty unplugged from the current population of parents. You claim about the academic is based on nothing, you can't compare diverse districts to Lexington unless you controls for income, and as i've showed you many times the kids here are on par with top districts. You call controls like this "weird" so you clearly don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 12:50 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,797,099 times
Quote:
Not sure how you determined that. I love where I live, but find it hard to be enthusiastic about well publicized high school brawls/stabbings involving gang activity. I'm hopeful things improve but am prepared for the worst if the high school doesnt shape up, academically first and foremost.

And for OP sorry to go off topic I'm personally done with this tangent.

Any is too many, but that was like 2009?! Unless one just happened this week.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:01 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,791,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No it was this summer.

Somerville police investigating stabbing after 100+ person party - News - Somerville Journal - Somerville, MA

Between that and a recent shooting involving HS aged kids, sexual assaults, etc. these incidents start to look a bit more common than just one off type situations. Students in a city like Somerville, Cambridge, etc. will naturally have problems that those in Lexington won't ever have to deal with. Hard to believe that being concerned about these things would earn me the label of unplugged lol.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
He's talking about a party at the mayor's sister's house that got way out of hand and some teens from Cambridge came and there was a fight with a stabbing. Nothing at the school.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
No it was this summer.

Somerville police investigating stabbing after 100+ person party - News - Somerville Journal - Somerville, MA

Between that and a recent shooting involving HS aged kids, sexual assaults, etc. these incidents start to look a bit more common than just one off type situations. Students in a city like Somerville, Cambridge, etc. will naturally have problems that those in Lexington won't ever have to deal with. Hard to believe that being concerned about these things would earn me the label of unplugged lol.
Actually, the kid in the camp incident never stepped foot in Somerville schools. He was about to transfer in from the private Thayer Academy, before that he attended the private Parks schools in Brookline.

55 Lexington high kids attempted suicide in one year and 287 considered it....

Old 09-21-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
No it was this summer.

That's nothing at the high school then. It certainly isn't a "high school stabbing". Sheesh.

And well, sadly, there was something like this in Belmont in the 80s at a house party (not all different from Lexington, at least back then), kids from out of town (I don't remember much, I was young, it was early 80s during my brothers years). It happens. There are also, sadly, sexual assaults in every town.

I would expect more in Cambridge and Somerville since they're larger populations. That only makes sense.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
That's nothing at the high school then. It certainly isn't a "high school stabbing". Sheesh.

And well, sadly, there was something like this in Belmont in the 80s at a house party (not all different from Lexington, at least back then), kids from out of town (I don't remember much, I was young, it was early 80s during my brothers years). It happens. There are also, sadly, sexual assaults in every town.
Nope not at the school, but involving high school students. Should have been more clear. These things definitely happen but naturally you see more bad things when there are more people and more social issues. One of those things you can't control for income, unfortunately.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:13 PM

Well, if you want to say, a town of 150k will have more incidents of crime than one of 50k. Well, of course it will!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Well, if you want to say, a town of 150k will have more incidents of crime than one of 50k. Well, of course it will!
Yep that is one aspect of it, probably one of the more important ones. I don't know how similarly population impacts juvenile crime vs general adult population but it will most certainly be higher.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:

I would expect more in Cambridge and Somerville since they're larger populations. That only makes sense.
Exactly, and an isolated incident as there wasn't anything like this in 10 years as far as I know. Maria Curtatone let this party get way out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts