Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 7,571 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

My husband and I are looking to relocate to MA and really need your help, please! We are looking for an racially/ethnically diverse, affordable, and safe city in MA (aren't we all though?) but seriously, I would really love to hear your recommendations!

We currently live in Austin, TX and have been for a few years. We're in a very white part of Austin (I elaborate on this below) where the median income is about $150K or so, therefore, these people are snooty mf'ers to say the least. I am Japanese and he is Puerto Rican. We have been together for about 9 years now and I love him soo much We are both college educated and will be pursuing Masters degrees, possibly in the Boston area, but we're not completely ruling out taking online courses.

We are looking for an ethnically diverse city because as mentioned, we are in a very white part of the city (we are less than 5 minutes away from 3 different Whole Foods, which we LOVE but we are getting so tired of seemingly being the only non-white people and people do stare at us constantly). I try to take it as we are just good looking people haha but seriously, we are really getting tired of being given dirty looks for really no reason at all. My thoughts are it is absolutely racially-motivated death stares, esp being in extremely conservative bible-belt Texas (even though Austin still is considered 'weird', it is still Texas). I hate it when my husband feels like he will be treated badly just because he is Puerto Rican (a very handsome one, might I add). People are actually very nice to me but there are times that people are hesitant because I am still "different" (not white). When I am not there w/ him at the grocery store, there will inevitably be a few white women who grab and clutch their purses at the grocery store when my husband is around. I just hate it I hate it I hate it because he would never, ever steal anything from anyone! It really breaks my heart personally and is so incredibly unjustified that we face this type of discrimination. This does not happen when we go to East Austin (diverse and safe) area or in other parts, just the area where we live. I hope MA will not be like this, it really does hurt

Currently, we pay about $1700/month for rent and we own a Mercedes, which we may get rid of due to wanting to save some mula (since we both plan on pursuing higher education). We are looking for a place that is between $1100-$1300/month. Is our desired price range feasible in the Boston area? or Outside of the Boston area?

We both really like the fact that MA is a rec-legal state for me (He doesn't use MJ or even tried it before but I have and do - I have bad anxiety/social anxiety due to severe childhood sexual/physical/verbal trauma and none of my 3 anti-anxiety work like MJ does, surprisingly). He is an amazing fruit/veggie/herb gardener and is planning on growing it while there solely to help me cope with my anxiety attacks.

Anyway, I'm sorry this is so verbose but we really need to get out of Austin in February 2019 (that's when our lease expires). We both very much want out of here, desperately. I would very much appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited by mesmerizinglovepotion; 09-23-2018 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 02:04 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Fall River or New Bedford might work for you. Plenty of higher ed MA programs in areas within 1 hr of Boston. Maybe also consider Worcester?

Old 09-23-2018, 02:52 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Fall River or New Bedford might work for you. Plenty of higher ed MA programs in areas within 1 hr of Boston. Maybe also consider Worcester?
Are you serious?

Old 09-23-2018, 02:56 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Mes

Many towns to consider and cost will play a role. To mention some close to Boston: Cambridge, Somerville, Malden, Burlington, Woburn, Waltham, Watertown, Quincy, Dedham. All are racially mixed, some a bit more. All much more preferable then Fall River, New Bedford, or Worcester.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:10 PM

341 posts, read 302,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmerizinglovepotion View Post
Hi there!

Currently, we pay about $1700/month for rent and we own a Mercedes, which we may get rid of due to wanting to save some mula (since we both plan on pursuing higher education). We are looking for a place that is between $1100-$1300/month. Is our desired price range feasible in the Boston area? or Outside of the Boston area?
What are you currently renting for $1700/month? I guarantee that what you get up here will be a lot smaller than what you're used to for $1700/month.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:16 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,467,369 times
I would, of course, suggest Worcester. Nine colleges and Universities, very diverse for Massachusetts, still affordable but maybe not for long and a lot of positive change happening. Also for a city its size it's pretty safe.

We moved here about a year ago and really just love it.
https://www.boston25news.com/news/wo...ture/833012775
And I like this article too.
https://www.masslive.com/expo/life_a...worcester.html

Old 09-23-2018, 03:25 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmerizinglovepotion View Post
No. Expect to double your desired price range in the Boston area.

Coming from Austin, I don't believe you'd be happy at all in the areas that Hollytree mentioned. They are ghetto cities about an hour from Boston. They are in your price range though.

Tell us more about the flexibility of your budget so we can point you in the right direction.

It costs a lot more to live in Boston than it does in Austin.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Why did you/would you recommend the ghetto/the slums where there is very high crime rates? Why even post if you are going to be completely unhelpful and purposely steer us in the wrong direction? I thought you were being helpful but turns out you truly are a terrible person to do something like that.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Mes

Many towns to consider and cost will play a role. To mention some close to Boston: Cambridge, Somerville, Malden, Burlington, Woburn, Waltham, Watertown, Quincy, Dedham. All are racially mixed, some a bit more. All much more preferable then Fall River, New Bedford, or Worcester.
Thank you for providing real assistance, johngolf. I very much appreciate your help! Which would you say is the most diverse? Maybe, top 3 for example. Thank you again!

Old 09-23-2018, 03:38 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,467,369 times
What? I don't know the other cities well but Worcester is far from a ghetto. It is a city of 180,000. There are good, some absolutely great areas and of course some sketchy areas.

Oh most of those towns and most are towns not cities, are absolutely not diverse at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts