Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 AM

7 posts, read 24,342 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering a job in Springfield to be closer to my aging parents in Simsbury. I grew up in CT but moved away in 1987 and currently live in the Midwest. Part of the reason I'm considering Springfield instead of Hartford is that the real estate is much more affordable (I'm coming from a place where the median house is $135K). I can't afford to spend much more than $200K and that seems to buy only fixer uppers in the Hartford area.

I have a good sense of what the Hartford area is like because not only did I grow up there but I also regularly visit there at least once a year. I have never been around the Springfield area. Have only driven through it on the way to Vermont. I do remember the houses being closer together than they are in CT.

My question is to those who have lived in both metro areas. What are the Springfield suburbs like compared to the Hartford suburbs in general? How do they compare in terms of quality of life? Are there any pluses to the Springfield area as compared to Hartford? Much thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,960,218 times
Springfield has a median home price slightly below greater Hartford. Although currently both places are dropping. Hartford has dropped 9.1% in the last 12 months from 275K to 250K. Springfield median was 206K- 4th quarter of 2007.

Comparing both metro areas will have biased opinions from those who live in or around these two cities.

Hartford is the larger of the two metro areas- and is further along in its rebuilding. Hartford arguably has some very attractive suburbs, and has a better economic base with a higher per capita income. However in the end it is best to visit both places, and compare with what your needs and expectations are, before coming to a final decision.

200 K in greater Hartford will buy a starter home- although in some towns east of Hartford I have seen new homes in Vernon for 215-240K. 180k east of Hartford will buy a very nice townhouse.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,797,971 times
Pluses include being very close to Northampton and Amherst, both fun young and/or college towns with lots to do. You're also closer to Vermont and New Hampshire. Third, there isn't much of a rush hour in Springfield whereas Hartford can have some serious delays, even now after all the highway widening. Hartford metro seems much wealthier than Springfield--there's nothing like Farmington in the Springfield area. Springfield has two upscale suburbs, Longmeadow and Wilbraham, and a number of middle class suburbs. Both Springfield and Hartford have a constellation of smaller industrial or formerly industrial cities mixed in among the suburbs around them--Springfield has Holyoke, Chicopee, and Westfield all nearby and part of the metro. Holyoke has some nice neighborhoods, great older houses, and good bargains, as does Springfield itself, but of course the prices reflect concerns about schools, crime, and other social conditions. As in Hartford, some if not many people live well beyond the range of the traditional suburb--they'll live way up in Whately or in Chesterfield or some other very rural place and commute to Spfld. Houses seem closer together from the road only because I-91 ripped through existing residential neighborhoods, mainly in the north end of Springfield, whereas in Hartford both 91 and 84 seem to have avoided established neighborhoods for the most part. I don't think the quality of life would be that different from one metro to the other. Connecticut may have higher taxes and a higher level of services but I'm not sure. Mass towns have been under the thumb of Prop 2-1/2 for over 25 years now, which limits the money towns can raise through property taxes thus making schools, libraries, and other public services less plush than in Connecticut.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 24,342 times
Thanks Missionhill for the insights. My gut tells me I'm better off living around Springfield if I want to be able to buy a decent single family home in a safe area. I don't like the idea of a condo or townhome.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 18,617 times
Buying in Springfield, MA is a great idea if you plan on sticking around for a couple of years. Can you say 'real estate appreciation'? There are some projects being planned and rebuilding has already begun taking place. If you start your search in the downtown Springfield area and you don't find anything you like, then try East Longmeadow or Agawam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts