Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most desirable Massachusetts suburb?
Concord 5 8.20%
Winchester 7 11.48%
Newton 10 16.39%
Needham 1 1.64%
Wellesley 12 19.67%
Hingham 2 3.28%
Manchester-By-The-Sea 7 11.48%
Marblehead 5 8.20%
Lexington 9 14.75%
Belmont 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:06 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times

Advertisements

What is the criteria for what makes the poll and what doesn't? I posted before the poll was up, but still stick by my choice, with others not appearing on the poll as 2nd or 3rd choices. Why are only those particular suburbs deemed "desirable" and not any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 AM

12,406 posts, read 9,502,300 times
I like Newburyport. I am a pretty down to earth guy, and while virtually every town here is more expensive, I wouldn't prefer them.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:25 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I like Newburyport. I am a pretty down to earth guy, and while virtually every town here is more expensive, I wouldn't prefer them.
But Newburyport is its own place. Newton is a suburb; it wouldn’t exist as we know it without its entirely suburban relationship to Boston. Same for Wellesley, Weston... Newburyport, Salem, Marblehead are places with their own histories and identities. Now all included in the Boston consolidated statistical area (or whatever it’s called) and many residents commute to jobs elsewhere. Does that make them suburbs? I’d say no.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:46 AM

32 posts, read 43,576 times
Concord resident here. Jaw dropping natural beauty and elite school system are 2 of the biggest pros. Very pricey real estate and ugly commute to downtown Boston (I work in the Pru) are 2 big downsides. Could be a bit more diverse but that is changing fast, esp. being sandwiched between Acton and Lexington. Overall we love it here.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:53 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Native is a very good alternative.
Yep...close to half the price of Needham. Trade off is the 20 additional mins if your commute is into Bos each day. Downtown Natick is getting new storefront spaces and added 1 trendy restaurant and a new lux condo building. It seems to be getting more high end.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:05 AM

649 posts, read 816,375 times
This is sort of a weird list of places, where’s Wayland, Weston, Lincoln, Dover?

With money and commute no object my vote is Concord, but if I have little kids and a commute I am Needham all the way. Big kids and a commute and its Arlington for me.

While Winchester is nice it suffers from being along that rt.1/93 corridor of hellish density that you couldn’t pay me to live in again. Marblehead and Hingham are nice but suffer from accessibilty problems. Newton and Belmont are too dense for me but they do have pockets of desirability.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:28 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What is Lee a suburb of? Albany?
Pittsfield.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:10 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
My choice would be Brookline, but since that's not on the list, I guess I'll go with Newton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradon View Post
what is a town like Needham but slightly less expensive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Arlington and Melrose immediately come to mind, though the delta between Arlington and Needham is not large. I actually considered throwing Arlington on the poll.
I'm not sure Arlington is really like Needham, although I really liked both towns. I'm not sure, either that it's necessarily less expensive. We looked in both, and saw homes in the same price range in each. It was actually tougher, though, to find a place in Arlington because it didn't have as many SFH's available. It is less expensive in the sense that there is more higher density housing than in Needham, so that does make it less expensive. But for a similar house, they're about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Natick?
I think this is the closest.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:19 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Marblehead and Hingham are nice but suffer from accessibilty problems. Newton and Belmont are too dense for me but they do have pockets of desirability.
Hingham has one of the best commutes to downtown Boston of any Boston area suburb, by boat.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
This is sort of a weird list of places, where’s Wayland, Weston, Lincoln, Dover?.
Being that your list of towns are more similar than different, I included Concord and Lexington on their behalf. Lincoln is identical to Carlisle. Wayland to Sudbury. Weston is very, very similar to Dover.

And, in 2018/on CD, you hear more about the towns I listed. I think ppsqft in places like Needham, Arlington, and even Bedford prove that desirability of the new home buyer is vastly different than it was 20 years ago. On a ppsqft basis, Arlington is 30% more expensive than Wayland. Surprised? That’s the demand these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts