Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 07:55 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Anyone not nervous about the Series would remind me of ....

I'm not nervous at all. With 2004, 2007, and 2013, it's playing with house money. The scars of Bucky F'ing Dent and Bill Buckner are healed. It's nice if they win it all but they're now the Evil Empire, Jr. With the enormous payroll, the team is always going to be competitive. It's not like Tampa or Pittsburgh is going to sign David Price to 7 years/$217 million. Or pay Craig Kimbrel $13 million/year. Or J.D. Martinez to 5 years/$110 million. Sure, they have good players they drafted and grew organically but they're a top team because they could afford to go out and buy top players to plug the holes.

I was at the last game of the season in 1967 when the Sox clinched the AL pennant. The Sox have been competitive most years since then. Since free agency, they've been one of the "have" teams. It's been great but it's not like the NFL where you have the salary cap and the talent level drafting high in the draft is way different from drafting #30 through #32 every year (and losing picks for violating the ideal gas law). Oakland made the playoffs with an $80 million payroll. The Brewers have a $108 million total payroll. The Red Sox $228 million. I'll root for the Red Sox but I'd have no issue at all with Milwaukee beating the Dodgers and taking down the Red Sox in the World Series. The Dodgers with the #3 payroll in the league, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 02:37 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
I've never been in Boston before during a World Series game day, so parking availability has me concerned. I've parked at Triangle Trilogy before, and they say 1st come 1st served. I've never had an issue during the season, but I expect a madhouse on Tuesday.
Just park at the Pru or Dalton Street garage and walk over. The walk isn’t bad and you avoid all traffic after the game. The places right near Fenway will gouge from these games.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:18 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
“Chris Sale says he’s feeling better.

Asked what caused the stomach illness, he said, “I had irritation from a belly button ring. Constantly taking it in and out caused irritation. Doctors and nurses at MGH were awesome. Things happen. You handle them. And keep moving forward.”

I have no words

Old 10-20-2018, 05:55 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
What "should" we do in the Series. At worst, the same outcome as the Astros, 4-1. Pitching and 3rd base play are my concerns. Does our outfield and offense have enough to overcome any shortcomings? So far it's a resounding yes, taking down 2 100+ win teams in the ALDS & ALCS. I will always have nerves, but I'm not nervous.
As I said in an earlier post, I followed the Sox for long enough during the Curse era so it's entwined in my DNA to expect them to blow it once they've raised the fans' hopes.

Don't get me wrong. They are the favorites for good reason. Hard to argue with 108 wins. Talking about flaws, weaknesses, question marks, etc., is kind of relative for teams at the top level. For a team at that level, they do have question marks, though.

The relievers have all had moments of brilliance, but overall the pen is not consistently top-tier. That's probably the biggest potential weakness. I believe that Kimbrel was used too often in the first half of the season, and the less-than-stellar pen may be the reason. They had to rely too heavily on Kimbrel due to lack of serious depth in the relief staff. Now he seems to get into trouble with every appearance. Against opponents at this level, at what point will he finally fail to keep wiggling out of that trouble?

Now I'm wondering how often they can keep using Porcello in relief before it affects his performance when he starts. Cora has done well at juggling a staff that is a bit thin for a would-be champion. So far it has worked. Let's hope the magic holds up for a few more games! We shall see.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:07 PM

5,947 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Hope Dodgers win tonight .Looking forward to 9:30 starts ending at 1:45 AM .sarc.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:10 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
If any of you have an Alexa, ask her when is the first World Series game? She will tell you that it is between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros on October 24th at 8:09 pm at Dodger Stadium!

Old 10-20-2018, 09:29 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
If any of you have an Alexa, ask her when is the first World Series game? She will tell you that it is between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros on October 24th at 8:09 pm at Dodger Stadium!
Well, Alexa was correct about the Dodgers. Not the venue though.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:55 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
To be fair, this was just the schedule for last year.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
I'm disappointed the Brewers couldn't get past the Dodgers. But on the bright side, I won't feel bad at all about beating an LA team. Go Sox!

Old 10-21-2018, 08:53 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Tuesday for first pitch at 8:09pm at Fenway should be 49F and dropping. Wednesday, it should be 39F with gusts around 20 mph by the end of the game. I'm hopeful this is an advantage for the Red Sox. I looked at the Dodgers September road schedule and matched it to AccuWeather. Denver and St Louis weren't cold for the September road games. The Dodgers haven't seen anything colder than high 50s and bone dry in the 9th inning in Denver.

I doubt I'll be watching the three 8:09pm and 8:15pm west coast start time games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts