U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM
 
6,980 posts, read 6,700,483 times
Reputation: 4676

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmark09 View Post
Does anyone know whether Newton water is hard or soft? I live in Newton and notice that it seems to take forever to wash soap off of me. When I travel, most hotel's water washes soap off so easily and makes me squeaky clean. So does this mean Newton water is naturally too soft?

Newton is on MWRA right? That is very strange. Is it possible you have a softener and not even know it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 AM
 
8,711 posts, read 8,913,183 times
Reputation: 12186
I've got an RO system at point of use in the kitchen. No comments really as it came with the house, but it's nice to have. Typically though, we use bottled water most of the time, but it's nice to have it for the ice cubes and any water we may cook with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 09:54 AM
 
48 posts, read 35,239 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Newton is on MWRA right? That is very strange. Is it possible you have a softener and not even know it???
Yes it is MWRA. I just found this:


Is MWRA Drinking Water Hard or Soft?

MWRA's drinking water is soft. If you are an MWRA customer, you probably don't need to use special water softeners for your clothes - or dishwashing machines. You do not need a water softener. Water's "hardness" and "softness" is due to its concentration of minerals –calcium and magnesium. The lower the mineral concentration, the softer the water is. MWRA's drinking water has a hardness of approximately 16 milligrams per liter, or 1 grain per gallon. When using water water that is considered soft you do not need to use as much dishwashing soap, laundry detergent, or other soaps. Many new dishwashers allow you to set the hardness of the water so that you do not need to use as much soap in comparison to areas that have hard water.


MWRA - FAQs about Drinking Water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,324 posts, read 9,029,761 times
Reputation: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmark09 View Post
Does anyone know whether Newton water is hard or soft? I live in Newton and notice that it seems to take forever to wash soap off of me. When I travel, most hotel's water washes soap off so easily and makes me squeaky clean. So does this mean Newton water is naturally too soft?
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmark09 View Post
Yes it is MWRA. I just found this:


Is MWRA Drinking Water Hard or Soft?

MWRA's drinking water is soft. If you are an MWRA customer, you probably don't need to use special water softeners for your clothes - or dishwashing machines. You do not need a water softener. Water's "hardness" and "softness" is due to its concentration of minerals –calcium and magnesium. The lower the mineral concentration, the softer the water is. MWRA's drinking water has a hardness of approximately 16 milligrams per liter, or 1 grain per gallon. When using water water that is considered soft you do not need to use as much dishwashing soap, laundry detergent, or other soaps. Many new dishwashers allow you to set the hardness of the water so that you do not need to use as much soap in comparison to areas that have hard water.


MWRA - FAQs about Drinking Water
I lived in Newton for about 10 years before I moved to Needham. Granted, I moved out about a decade ago. However, I always found MWRA water to be pretty soft. I never had any major issues with scale build up nor did it make my skin/hair feel funny.

Don't get me wrong, the Needham water is fine. I don't notice the taste but my parents complain about it and I do notice some scale build up on my glass shower door and on my fixtures. Plus, sometimes when I was my car I get some water spotting from the minerals as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 11:50 AM
 
6,980 posts, read 6,700,483 times
Reputation: 4676
I knew MWRA was softer than many local town water systems, but never noticed it to be "slippery". Perhaps I was just accustomed to it growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top