U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:01 AM

154 posts, read 114,091 times

Advertisements

The first town that came to mind when I first saw this was New Bedford, Fall River and Brockton.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 11:41 AM

2,855 posts, read 3,057,292 times
Towns west of 395 and east of Quabbin.
Towns along 2 west of Littleton/Harvard

Old 11-01-2018, 12:07 PM

18,267 posts, read 10,291,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
The first town that came to mind when I first saw this was New Bedford, Fall River and Brockton.

Anywhere without an educated, skilled workforce is lagging.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:50 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,832,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Towns west of 395 and east of Quabbin.
Towns along 2 west of Littleton/Harvard
Rt. 2 is doing pretty well through Westminster. It's not until you reach Gardner and beyond that economic lag starts to to become prevalent. Obviously Fitchburg is struggling, but that's less of an economy/opportunity issue as it is a relocation of the state's poor from both east and west.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:15 PM

5,504 posts, read 5,051,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think that really depends. Do you mean where they work or where they live because often times they are not the same thing.

Plenty of people work in Boston but if you look at the incomes of those that actually live there the amounts are much lower.

At the same point it depends on what the lag is. Things are become more fractured. I live in a market rate place in Springfield. We have police, fire, heads of development, teachers, lawyers and students living here. The grounds are kept up, it's quiet, most people here I believe have some sort of degree/certificate/license and a career etc. I'm pretty sure Now if I go a few blocks down that isn't the case. Such a description is like many other cities and areas.

People without skills and education are lagging regardless of where they live.

Let's just roll things back a few decades if not a generation.

Back in the day if someone had say a DUI it was not considered a big deal. How many got arrested let alone charged for drunk driving in the 1970s? Today it is most certainly a crime and can stay on a record for quite awhile as well.

Same with drug tests as they creeper in during the 1980s

Then add in credit checks (debatable on the state level) during the 1990's

Add in social media vetting today and it adds up.

Now in many respects with the whole war on drugs it was not until recently that drug convictions in Mass even if they didn't involve the use of a vehicle led to the automatic suspension of a license.

Of course there's then the legacy and compounding of this over time.

My point being is that this is not based on the area but can happen to anyone given the circumstances. Generational poverty of course exists but ultimately when presented with options the only choice is up.

Lastly is that many programs are heavily implying that people have to leave. Public housing changed from a local list to a state list. Add in proximity to public transit and this is why many are leaving urban for more suburban and rural areas.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:11 AM

9,622 posts, read 17,616,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yes, and it's sort of a vicious cycle because those towns do still turn out skilled/educated people. They just leave for college and don't return because there's nothing there for them.

I was in Fall River last weekend for a party at a friend's house. Stopped into the new brewery on Ferry St. (Canned Heat - it's really good and I suggest anyone go check it out) and chatted with the owner a bit. We are comparable in age, both mostly grew up in the area and moved outside of the area after school because of the lack of jobs for the educated workforce. He's obviously back because of his business venture, but unless you're an entrepreneur, there's nothing there. My high school classmates are largely in the same boat. Most of those who stayed in the area either own a small business, work for parents who own a business, or aren't doing exceptionally well. The rest are gone. Many would be back if there was anything there for them. I love the area, and I'm in that boat.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:16 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,017,005 times
I have not heard of Canned Heat. I'll add it to the list.

Stellwagon Bank Brewing in Marshfield was good, FYI.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:36 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,121,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yes, and it's sort of a vicious cycle because those towns do still turn out skilled/educated people. They just leave for college and don't return because there's nothing there for them.

I was in Fall River last weekend for a party at a friend's house. Stopped into the new brewery on Ferry St. (Canned Heat - it's really good and I suggest anyone go check it out) and chatted with the owner a bit. We are comparable in age, both mostly grew up in the area and moved outside of the area after school because of the lack of jobs for the educated workforce. He's obviously back because of his business venture, but unless you're an entrepreneur, there's nothing there. My high school classmates are largely in the same boat. Most of those who stayed in the area either own a small business, work for parents who own a business, or aren't doing exceptionally well. The rest are gone. Many would be back if there was anything there for them. I love the area, and I'm in that boat.
The attitude of that area needs to change. Don't know how true it is, but I once heard that upwards of 50 or 60% of working aged adults in Fall River are on disability. If anything, that is what's holding the area back more IMO. It's not solely a lack of skill. Then of course, the state needs to become less Boston-centric and develop more localized economic priorities.

But it also is true that there are plenty of skilled/educated people around there that would be more than willing to stay of there was more available locally in their field.

I always used to here about how just before my time, Boston was dealing with the same "Brain Drain" phenomenon and couln't retain its college grads. Look at what happened then...people might be leaving but due to COL not lack of work.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 AM

9,622 posts, read 17,616,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have not heard of Canned Heat. I'll add it to the list.

Stellwagon Bank Brewing in Marshfield was good, FYI.
Definitely worthy of a stop. They do a great job with their IPAs and DIPAs, but their other stuff is good too. I think they haven't been open for a month yet, so it's still under the radar.

I'll have to check out Stellwagon Bank. Vitamin Sea is opening soon in Weymouth and their Instagram page has me itching to try them as soon as they open. Maybe I'll do a South Shore day soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts