Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 05:05 PM

11,874 posts, read 8,970,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Same here. Knew a guy from around that same time who worked on Wall St. and was living in Hoboken. Costs were dramatically less and the area was already gentrifying. I also recall another parent my kid played sports with about 10 years ago remarking how the "cold water flat" his grandparents had in Hoboken was now renting for some amount he couldn't fathom.
Yep... and it wasn't that much earlier that Hoboken was kind of a dump. One of my high school friends' older brother had turned down a full scholarship at Stevens Institute of Technology (10 years earlier) and went instead to another college where his parents had to pay considerable costs - I was kind of shocked and asked him why he turned down the scholarship and he said emphatically "Because I didn't want to live in Hoboken!!!" (I can still hear his voice, which was like 'are you insane???'). My parents would never have gone for that, but his parents supported his decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 05:31 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,423,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I remember the great ethnic foods when I was a kid, like Armenian and Greek and Italian, and Magic Shark is always posting about great sounding restaurants in Worcester in the Food section.
He! He! I love the food scene in Worcester. There are a lot of really good trendy restaurants. What I think though is Worcester's greatest strengths are in the authentic and obscure for most of the US, ethnic restaurants and markets. Worcester is a melting pot full of recent immigrants. I have spent many an afternoon in the shops and restaurants they open.

I moved to the west side about a year and a half ago. I love this city.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:45 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,703,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
He! He! I love the food scene in Worcester. There are a lot of really good trendy restaurants. What I think though is Worcester's greatest strengths are in the authentic and obscure for most of the US, ethnic restaurants and markets. Worcester is a melting pot full of recent immigrants. I have spent many an afternoon in the shops and restaurants they open.

I moved to the west side about a year and a half ago. I love this city.

What are a couple of these good obscure places?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:08 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,423,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What are a couple of these good obscure places?
Well not obscure for the area. I was thinking more in the wider sense of the different parts of the country I have lived in or have relatives in.

My favourite is Bahnans. I spend a fortune every time I am there. Same with Golemo's. Fatima's on West Boylston Street comes to mind. Ed Hyder's is not obscure but I could spend hours in there. Only a slight exaggeration. .

I like the little places too like the back room at Suney's only open Thursday-Saturday. Vincent's for the meatballs. The Regetta Deli is a decent small choice.

Having easy and cheap access to Salvadoran, Jamacian, various Middle Eastern cuisines, Albanian, West African, etc is not too shabby. Worcester is a small city but if you really look you can find some gems.
**Ha! I almost forgot Big Boi for Brazilian groceries. It is my 12 year olds favourite store!

Last edited by magicshark; 10-25-2018 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-25-2018, 07:10 AM

Thanks, I'll book mark those to check out. I definitely could use more Salvadoran food.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:39 AM

652 posts, read 742,413 times
See, one can live in Worcester and have almost all the big-city ameneties that people actually want (good food, nightlife) at a much cheaper price. And if you want to catch a big name concert or a major league sporting event, Boston is a quick hour drive. Amazon solves any retail problems that you might have out there. Uber and cheap car ownership relative to boston overcomes lower pubic transit investment. I would absolutely love to live there if I was in my 20's and single again.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:40 AM

191 posts, read 404,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Well not obscure for the area. I was thinking more in the wider sense of the different parts of the country I have lived in or have relatives in.

My favourite is Bahnans. I spend a fortune every time I am there. Same with Golemo's. Fatima's on West Boylston Street comes to mind. Ed Hyder's is not obscure but I could spend hours in there. Only a slight exaggeration. .

I like the little places too like the back room at Suney's only open Thursday-Saturday. Vincent's for the meatballs. The Regetta Deli is a decent small choice.

Having easy and cheap access to Salvadoran, Jamacian, various Middle Eastern cuisines, Albanian, West African, etc is not too shabby. Worcester is a small city but if you really look you can find some gems.
**Ha! I almost forgot Big Boi for Brazilian groceries. It is my 12 year olds favourite store!

Wouldn't be a Saturday Morning without a trip to Ed Hyders. Shwarma Palace is another little gem.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:27 PM

49,966 posts, read 63,265,686 times
I will just add Crown Bakery. Our family was Swedish and my grandparents used to bring us the Swedish coffee breads from there. I went back a couple of years ago, and the smell of cardamom took me right back to my childhood.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:43 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,098,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
There is no more retail downtown. It effectively died with the Galleria/Fashion Outlets closing. The core downtown also lacks a large restaurant scene. A big issue for Worcester in my opinion is the disjointed development of the city. Shrewsbury Street is the best restaurant area but it is not really in the core downtown and on the other side of the elevated Route 290. Same goes for the Canal District which is separated by the elevated rail line with a dead zone in between. There are areas in and around the downtown that show signs of life but they are not really all connected to one another. I feel this is a big detriment as new development is not centered in one place from which it can build upon itself and spur more growth that will extend from it.
This seems a bit dated. The 'downtown' now contains some of Worcester's more relevant options - Dead Horse, Armsby Abbey, Beer Garden, as well as a whole bunch of other new and old options like Sole, Boyton, Stix, Mezcal, Citizen's, Railer's Tavern, etc. People, such as my wife, who HATE walking will claim it's disconnected but I disagree - it's plenty walkable.

As for the interconnected issue, yes, much progress needs to be made. However, ongoing development has nearly connected Shrewsbury St. w/ Waters/Green/Templeton (Canal). It's certainly safe/short enough to traverse, even if not quite curated to the tastes of Shrewsbury suburbanites. I recently did the walk from Sim Jang to the dive bar and the walk was .4 miles and drama free - very manageable for any urbanite used to foot transit.

The real isolation is Holy Cross and Park Ave. I just don't see those areas being well connected.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:47 PM

I was at Armsby for Zwanze and to me still, it seems like an island, nothing else around... or nothing that seems open, anyway. Wondered around a bit after and felt wastelandy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts