Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 04:25 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times

Advertisements

Quincy to Malden would take more then a half hour during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 06:08 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
There are a few 2 bedroom places for rent in Reading for under $2400. I would move quickly on one of these...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...57101007_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57098539_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/H...89174043_zpid/

Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 PM

27 posts, read 24,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Quincy to Malden would take more then a half hour during rush hour.
True, sometimes more than an hour.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:28 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Yeah I just noticed that and in some ways I'm surprised maybe I shouldn't but compared to Weymouth and Braintree, Quincy seems to have better ratings for its schools.. Would you recommend moving to Quincy? I remember seeing a new school building going up few years ago on Hancock Street close to the old armory (where RMV takes road tests).
Why would that be surprising? Quincy has been investing a lot in renovating it’s huge school system. That new school is only part of it. That’s the new central middle you are referring to. There is another new school being built to replace an old one right now. The new high school was 124 million and the other high school just got a 14 million new athletic field and massive internal renovation. Lots of updates across the whole list of schools. The rapidly rising re value and the taxes coming from new condos and new businesses are fueling the improvement. We don’t have kids but we fully support these funding for schools.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:18 AM

649 posts, read 816,541 times
If you are looking to rent where you will ultimately buy so the kids do not need to change schools again I would actually worry less about your rental budget than your buying budget. Are you preapproved for a loan amount that would let you buy a house in Reading or Lynnfield?

Old 10-29-2018, 09:08 AM

113 posts, read 104,231 times
It's always funny seeing people worry about schools so much. The fact of the matter is if you're in X demographic group, your kid is going to have the same outcome as long as they're not in a garbage school district. A very wealthy family is going to have a successful kid whether it's in Quincy, Malden, Lexington, Hingham, etc. As long your kid isn't in a school where the majority of people there are unfortunately are having a bad time as it relates to bullying, violence, etc. it doesn't matter.

You don't have to take my word for it. Go to the government site for MCAS scores and filter on socioeconomic status (e.g. special needs, etc.) You'll see most of these schools are the same.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:02 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbree View Post
It's always funny seeing people worry about schools so much. The fact of the matter is if you're in X demographic group, your kid is going to have the same outcome as long as they're not in a garbage school district. A very wealthy family is going to have a successful kid whether it's in Quincy, Malden, Lexington, Hingham, etc. As long your kid isn't in a school where the majority of people there are unfortunately are having a bad time as it relates to bullying, violence, etc. it doesn't matter.

You don't have to take my word for it. Go to the government site for MCAS scores and filter on socioeconomic status (e.g. special needs, etc.) You'll see most of these schools are the same.
I would agree with you. So long as your child is in a school where there are caring teachers, good kids from families who value education regardless of socio economic status, and where there are no bullying or other danger to the kids, your influence at home emphasizing studies and learning will make your kids turn out very well. This seems to be supported by data and also real life evidence.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:12 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbree View Post

I don't know if it's just a City-Data thing, or if people in real life keep this kind of test score obsession to themselves in order to avoid portraying themselves as a "snob". But anecdotally, I have never seen people make such an issue out of this stuff like they do on C-D (particularly the Mass. forum). Since joining this forum, I have always found it to be very bizarre.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:24 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't know if it's just a City-Data thing, or if people in real life keep this kind of test score obsession to themselves in order to avoid portraying themselves as a "snob". But anecdotally, I have never seen people make such an issue out of this stuff like they do on C-D (particularly the Mass. forum). Since joining this forum, I have always found it to be very bizarre.
It's not a city-data thing. It's only really something you talk about when you're moving or considering moving, and most people aren't doing either most of the time.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It's not a city-data thing. It's only really something you talk about when you're moving or considering moving, and most people aren't doing either most of the time.

True. But, this is an incredibly affluent demo on this board. Way outside the usual. The reality is, most people don't have the luxury of selecting a place to buy on things like test scores either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts